"Where are you going? It's not safe out there."

This one is a combination of two prompts I saw on Pinterest and thought they could go well together.

Leave a comment or DM me if you have any requests :)

...

"Where are you going? It's not safe out there"; "Hey it's chilly outside. At least wear a jacket"

"Alexander, I can't believe you forgot about our fifth anniversary date." Eliza stood with her arms crossed in front of her boyfriend's desk that sat in the work room of their apartment. He sat there, shocked at her sudden outburst as he fiddled with his textbook pages.

"Look, I've been busy with this paper. You've cancelled dates because of papers before, too! Don't try to make me seem like that bad guy!" Junior year at university was no joke. Both Eliza and Alexander had been swamped with papers, projects, and studying like they've never had before.

She huffed and rolled her eyes. "At least I cancelled the date instead of completely forgetting it. All you do is work! Go to class and work! You never have time for me anymore! Not even for our five-year anniversary."

"Eliza, this paper is important." He realized his sentence came out a little rougher than intended, but he didn't care. To him, Eliza was overreacting. Eliza knew how much he loved her. It was more important to get his papers done, and Eliza knew that too. He could spend a different night with her for their anniversary.

"And I'm not?! You've never forgotten our anniversary before. We've had this planned for weeks!" She waited for him to answer, but of course he had no good excuse. "We have time if you want to go get changed. We can still go out, just put the paper away for a few hours."

Alex was fuming. "Maybe I wanted to forget it so I could finish my work!" He snarled and turned back to his laptop. "I have so much work to do. We'll do it some other day." His attention was on his paper again, and he began typing furiously at the key board.

Eliza couldn't believe what she was hearing and seeing. Well, she could, since it was not the first time she's seen him like this, but never had he been this cold, or dare she say, mean. Her arms were still folded, and neither said anything.

I won't cry... I can't cry, she thought as she bit at her lower lip. You're a strong woman, Eliza. You don't need him.

It was what he said next that tipped her over.

"Can you just leave me alone for now?! I don't need your poor attitude in my office when I'm trying to write."

Oh no he didn't. This is my apartment, too.

"You know what? Screw you, Alexander."

She stomped out of the tiny office, still ready for their date that wasn't happening, and her heels clacked against the hardwood floor. As she reached for the door, Alexander followed behind her, still annoyed at how she was acting. He wasn't going to follow her at all and let her blow off her steam on her own, but then he heard her start to leave the apartment.

"Where are you going? It's not safe out there this time of night."

Eliza turned and glared back at him, clearly hurt and disgusted by his behavior. He could see it in her eyes. Oh, if a single look could kill. "Why do you care? If you want me to leave you alone, fine! I will! I'll leave you alone for a long time. I'm going to Peggy's dorm. Don't bother calling; I don't want to hear your crap right now."

She opened the door again, this time so forcefully that she almost hit the door against the wall.

"Hey, it's chilly outside. At least wear a jacket."

He handed her his sweater that was hanging on the coat rack. It was her favorite sweater he'd wear. Instead of taking it, she stormed passed him to grab her own jacket that she had intended to wear that night with her special date outfit. It was sitting on the couch, waiting where Eliza knew she wouldn't forget it.

Without a word, she exited the apartment, not taking a single look at her (dumb) boyfriend. She couldn't stand to even look at him at the moment.

She left him standing there by himself, still holding that black and white zip-up sweater from being on the high school basketball team. He looked down at it and traced the white letters of his last name on his back. He remembered so clearly the first time she put it on and paraded it around school their junior year.

"Baby, it's cold in here," Eliza whined and started rubbing her arms to create some warmth. "What could possibly possess them to make it so cold in here all the time. I swear I'm going to freeze!"

Alex rolled his eyes and handed over his varsity basketball sweatshirt for her to wear. "You could have just asked for it, you know." He helped her pull her arms through the sweater, and then looked her down. It was big enough on her to make her look adorable, but still not too oversized that people would know that Alex was short and that they were nearly the same size. "You're cute in my sweater."

"Thanks," she whispered.

She blushed profusely and covered her cheeks with the sleeves of his sweater. She looked around to see if there were any teachers or other students around, and when they noticed that the coast was clear, she quickly pecked his lips. She then turned and started skipping to her next class.

Alex's heart melted as he caught glimpses of his last name printed on the back of his sweater. "One day, that'll be her last name, too," he said to himself, not able to wipe his silly grin off of his face.

"One day, this'll be her last name, too," he said to himself in the present time, though this time he didn't have that same lovesick smile painted across his face. "That is, if she ever comes back to me."

He turned his attention to their small table in their kitchenette. A little scrapbook sat there with a note on top. He picked up the note to see Eliza's handwriting scrawled across lined paper that was clearly torn out from one of her class notebooks.

Hey, baby! I can't believe we've been together for five whole years! It seems like yesterday we were just fifteen and sneaking away to make out during the varsity girls basketball games. I'm so excited for the next five years and beyond. I made this memory book for you of the last five years. It's like our own little adventure book from our relationship so far! I worked hard on it, so I hope you like it. I love you so, so much. You, your passion, your heart, your face, your abs, your smile, your eyes, your abs, your way with words, your dedication, did I mention your abs yet? You're just so hot. But I love you for you more. I'm gonna love you forever, sweet boy. Love, your Liza.

She signed off the note with her name and a little heart, like she always does for him. He flipped through the book, laughing at some of the old pictures from high school and the hundreds of selfies she made him take with her throughout the years.

And I didn't even remember to get her a card, he thought guiltily. I'll have to make it up to her when she gets back.

For now, he'd have to settle with finishing that cursed paper. He knew his grade would suffer, because all he could think about was look of hurt in Eliza's eyes before she left him. He couldn't focus on writing a prime paper.

All because of this paper.

Now he had no perfect paper, and no perfect girl.

The fight was not worth it.