"Mind if I cut in?"

I'm really proud of this one, and hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it! 

Prompt found on Tumblr. As always, requests are welcome!

...

"Mind if I cut in?"

Ellie's wedding had gone perfectly. The vows were read, though not without a tear or two from Eliza and Alexander who were sitting right in front of the happy couple, disbelieving that their little girl was getting married. Time had gone by so fast—way too fast. And when the officiant announced them "Mr. and Mrs. Levi and Eleanor Wilson", they could only stand up and clap for their daughter and new son-in-law in excitement through the tears that were shedding.

They were now at the reception following the ceremony. They served a lot of Puerto Rican food, an ode to Ellie being half Puerto Rican and it was, after spaghetti, her favorite kind of food. Everyone else at the reception seemed to love it too, and there were surprisingly no leftovers, much to Ellie's despair.

Eliza was scrolling through her phone, looking at the pictures she had snuck while Ellie was getting ready. Her eyes landed on the one where Alexander got a first look at his daughter in her dress with her hair and makeup done, ready for the ceremony.

His face was scrunched up in an awestruck look, getting teary-eyed at the sight of his first daughter getting married. It was if everything became real in that moment. He realized he had to give her away to another man, whom he loved and knew would take care of Ellie, but it was still so hard to do.

Ellie had a huge smile plastered on her face, nervous but excited for what was about to come. Anyone could see Ellie and Alexander's close relationship just by looking at this one picture. And that's why Eliza was going to frame it.

"Look," she said, nudging her husband, who was focused on the laughing couple feeding each other a slice of cake. He turned towards her, and she showed him the picture she was looking at.

He smiled. "I couldn't believe how beautiful she looked. I mean, I've always known she was beautiful—she's lucky she looks almost exactly like you. She's not that little girl anymore who would run to my leg after work, tugging on my pants trying to climb up my leg."

Eliza felt kind of bad for him. She rubbed her hand up and down his arm to consolidate him. "Hey, you still have Mila and Laila. I never hear the end of 'when is daddy coming home' from them all day!" Their adopted daughters latched onto Alexander almost immediately. Their middle daughter Isa, however, was sort of in a "my dad is so uncool" phase of her teenage-dom. Alexander still knew she loved him, he just missed when she was little and he was some kind of idol.

He laughed remembering how Laila flocked him the other day begging him to take her to the park, even if it was getting dark out.

Soon enough, Ellie and Levi had finished their first dance, and Alexander sprinted to his daughter without any warning given to his wife.

"Mind if I cut in?" he asks his new son-in-law, a new song beginning to play over the speakers. Levi was quick to retreat, knowing everything about how Alexander would react if he had said no.

Ellie smiled as she wrapped her arms around her dad, enjoying the moment with him. "I love you, daddy," she whispered as they swayed back and forth. "I know it was hard for you to give me away, but I promise I'm still your first born baby girl."

He was relieved to hear her say those words. "I love you too, Ellie. So much. I can't believe how fast time flew by. It seems like yesterday I was walking you up to kindergarten. You were shaking because you were so nervous."

She had to roll her eyes before laying her head on his chest.

Never did Alexander think he'd get so emotional at his daughter's wedding. He kept fighting back the tears as they continued to sway back and forth.

"Thanks for paying for most of the wedding," she smirked as the song was nearing the chorus for a final time. "And the dress. I really do feel like a princess in it."

He chuckled, and kissed the top of her head. "Well then it was a worthy investment. Just promise me no grandkids for a few years. I'm not ready to feel that old yet."

Ellie threw her head back as she laughed vibrantly. "As long as you stop getting Mom pregnant."

He rolled his eyes. "I already told you we were done having our own babies."

"That's what you said after Mateo was born. And yet you still had another during my freshman year of college."

"For real this time! We both know that Leo was a happy accident," he remarked, referring to the youngest Hamilton, who was an accidental pregnancy, years after Eliza and Alexander said they were done and were only going to adopt after.

She shook her head at her defensive father, feeling blessed that she was born into a family that loved each other as much as Eliza and Alexander do. "I'll do my best to hold off on the grandchildren."

"That's all I ask." He joked, knowing full well how much he would love a grandson or granddaughter if it would happen earlier.

The song then ended, the night flowing into everybody dancing and partying until who knows what hour of the night.

"I'm so glad I married you," Eliza commented as she and Alexander were dancing to some "oldie" song from their teenage years. She was sure none of Ellie or Levi's friends even knew the song and were just too drunk to care.

He smirked, a little cocky from all the compliments Eliza had been giving him throughout the night. "Well you're lucky that it just so happens that I am so glad I married you, too."