"It's three in the morning."

I hope everyone is doing great! This idea was sent in by eva_willow , so I hope you enjoy it!

...

"It's three in the morning"

Fifteen-year-old Eliza Schuyler was lying in bed and watching old Disney Channel movies as rain poured outside. She wasn't afraid of storms, even not this one with crashing thunder and bright lightning occurring every few minutes. She just couldn't fall asleep after taking a long nap late that afternoon. So instead she busied herself with High School Musical and others childhood movies until her body finally got tired enough to go to sleep.

She was smiling at some cheesy joke when she got a notification from her boyfriend. The heart eyes and kissing face emojis by his contact name made her smile and blush. She clicked on the message immediately, wondering what could be keeping him up so late.

Hey, are you awake? -A

Yes. Are you okay? -E

I can't fall asleep. I'm afraid of storms, and this is the worse one I've seen in a long time. I just need to talk to you. -A

I'm sorry. We can talk all you want :) I can stay up all night if you need. -E

She got out of bed, slipping some rain boots on over her sweats and grabbing one of Alexander's sweatshirts. She continued responding to his texts, comforting him as best as she could. She wanted to call him, but she couldn't risk waking up her parents and sisters.

As quietly as she could, Eliza grabbed her umbrella and snuck out of the house, heading straight for the subway station. She couldn't believe she actually managed to sneak out with no one catching on. Luckily for her, the subway wasn't too far away, so she wouldn't have to walk in the pouring rain for too long.

She continued consoling him, sending him messages to think of her or their date coming up. To think about happy things. She even sent him a few abhorrent, ugly selfies she had meant to delete, but figured now they could come in handy. He'd probably laugh and call her cute, and though she'd accuse him of being a liar, her heart would still skip a beat.

Eliza arrived at Alexander's house quickly, the lightning and thunder not bothering her a bit so long as she could comfort her boyfriend.

She stopped at the front door to respond again.

I need a favor. Come to your front door. Be quiet. -E

He got up from his bed confused, but grabbed his phone to head to the door. He opened it to find his girlfriend smiling, but soaked from the rain. He pulled her in away from the storm, half because of his fear, and half because all he wanted to do was hug and kiss her.

Eliza initiated the kiss, wanting to calm down his fears in that moment. It was short and sweet, but was exactly what Alexander needed.

"What are you doing here? It's three in the morning," he whispered as she pulled his head down to her shoulder to rest. His arms fell naturally around her waist and she kept him close to her heart.

"I couldn't let you be afraid and alone. I had to see you," she responded even quieter than he had, worried that someone would hear and kick her out.

Thunder boomed again, and Alexander shriveled into Eliza's chest, pulling her even closer. She didn't think it was possible, but somehow he managed. He whimpered as he closed his eyes from the lightning.

"Shh," she cooed. "It's all right. Let's get you to bed."

They walked to his room, cuddling up close in his bed. Eliza pulled him so close that he was nearly on top of her, and she began running her fingers through his hair.

They were silent for a while, Eliza letting him shiver and curl up into her. After minutes, he finally said, "The winds were reminding me of the hurricanes back home. I always struggle with storms, but never this badly."

"It's okay. I'm right here, and this is not a hurricane." She kissed his forehead, hoping that her presence would comfort him enough to fall asleep. "Everything will be fine."

Around four in the morning, he finally fell asleep as the storm calmed down. He muttered an, "I love you," before sleep finally took him, grateful for her and knowing that she was still awake.

His breathing steadied and she knew he was asleep. "I love you too," she whispered, finally allowing herself to fall asleep as well.

He kept his arms tightly around her the whole night, and she happily obliged by leaving a hand on his head and one of her legs wrapped slightly over his. Admittedly, it was one of the best nights of sleep either of them had gotten.

The two slept in until almost noon, as the next day was Saturday, though nothing could have prepared them for the way they were woken up.

Alexander's mother came to wake him up in the morning, noting how unusual it was for Alexander to sleep in so late. She knocked on the door, and when she heard no response, she let herself in. She gasped when she saw the pair together, hair messed up and Eliza in one of his favorite sweatshirts (the sweatshirt she had arrived in that early morning), and the two of them in the same position as before.

She wanted to believe they did nothing, but why else would Eliza have snuck in throughout the night? She didn't want to jump to conclusions, so she decided to pull the blankets away and wake them up.

They both woke up to the feeling of sudden cold air and a motherly voice. They looked at each other once in fear when they saw who was at the foot of the bed. They had been caught. But it wasn't what it looked like, right?

Her arms were crossed in front of her. She loved his son's girlfriend as if she was one of her own, but she did not like the idea of her son sleeping with her when they were only sophomores in high school.

"What is she doing here?"

Welp. They had some explaining to do.