"I Can't Stand the Thought of Losing You"

Hello! Welcome to my new Hamliza oneshot book! Most of these will be modern set, but I might try some historically set ones too! 

Prompt found from Pinterest 

...

"I Can't Stand the Thought of Losing You"

The sounds of a television filled the apartment, overpowering the cracks of thunder outside. College freshman Eliza Schuyler sat on her couch, snuggled up with a blanket and stuffed bear her boyfriend Alex had bought her for their first Valentine's Day.

Alexander. He had stormed out of the apartment they shared all but an hour ago, claiming he was stressed out over a project he had with his enemy (Thomas Jefferson) that they needed to finish.

Flashback

"Alex, just sit down and relax! You'll get the project done, but over-stressing yourself isn't going to help any," Eliza pleaded, bringing her hands up to his shoulders in attempt to massage away any stress. He pushed her hands away, still fuming.

"I can't!" he yelled, throwing his hands in the air. "Jefferson isn't doing anything right, so that leaves me to do all of it! God, you just don't understand!"

Alexander walked away, grabbing his sweater and hastily throwing it on.

"Just where do you think you're going?"

Alexander winced slightly, as he rarely heard Eliza get so angry with him. He quickly brushed it off, however, and slipped his dirty converse on as he continued to exit the apartment. "Out. I need to clear my head."

And with that the door was slammed shut, and Alexander was nowhere to be seen.

Flashback Over

Eliza was still watching The Bachelor when rain began pouring, leaving trails of water down the window like the trail of tears that had been making their way down Eliza's cheek consistently since Alexander stormed off.

He's so darn stubborn, was all she could think, more hot tears stinging at her cold, makeup-less cheeks. That's when the familiar tune of "Absolutely Smitten" came through her phone (a ringtone Alex had always teased her about). Her head jerked up faster than a bullet, hoping it was her boyfriend.

The hospital? What could they want?

"Hello?"

"Is this Eliza Schuyler?"

"Yes, this is she... Is something wrong?" Her voice cracked as she responded to the lady on the other end of the call.

"You're listed first in Mr. Alexander Hamilton's emergency contacts. He's been in a fight and was found unconscious in an alley.

Oh. My. God. More hot tears spilled from Eliza's eyes as her free hand came up to cover her mouth. "I'll be there as soon as I can," she managed to choke out, cutting off the call and grabbing her sweater and shoes before heading out the door.

As soon as she reached the hospital, Eliza charged through the doors, soaking wet from the rain. Her hair was drenched and hanging lifelessly on her shoulders, some pieces beginning to wave at the ends from the rain. She barely listened to the doctor as she carried her cold, wet body through the hospital. None of that seemed to matter anymore. Not how cold she was, nor the fact that people were around her, some even beginning to stare at the frazzled girl. All she cared about was getting to her Alexander and making sure he was okay.

"He's since regained consciousness and has been asking for you," the doctor finished explaining as they reached Alex's room. To be honest, that was the only thing she heard him say. "I will warn you before you enter that he's very bruised and cut, but he's stable."

Eliza only nodded as the doctor let her in, leaving Alex and Eliza to themselves.

"Oh, Alex," was the only thing she could muster when she saw bruises across the right side of his face and the split in his lip, among the other cuts peppered along his body. More tears formed in her eyes as she saw her battered boyfriend lay helplessly on the hospital bed.

Alex to had little words to say (interestingly enough) as he looked at his disheveled, yet still amazingly beautiful girlfriend. "Babe..." he started, but was cut off by Eliza.

"Just what the heck did you think you were doing?!" She crossed her arms, biting at her lower lip to keep herself from sobbing, "You could have ended up worse than you already are, even killed if you were more careless." Alex stiffened as he realized how upset she was. "Huh? What happened, and I want the complete, honest truth."

He took in a deep breath of air, knowing he'd better explain or he'd have an angry Eliza, or even worse, an angry Angelica or Peggy, on his hands, "I only went out to clear my mind and maybe even think of some more ideas for that dang project. I overheard some guys talking about you, and they were being disrespectful of you and our relationship, so I called them out on it. That's when we got into a fight. Eliza, I know they were drunk. And I know I shouldn't have messed with them, but I couldn't help but make sure they didn't bring anything bad upon your good name. I think I was about to call the police when they knocked me out and dragged me into the nearby alley. I'm sorry."

Eliza's eyes were far from dry at this point. She couldn't stand to hear about her boyfriend's pain.

"Eliza, I'm all right now," he added softly, hoping to soothe her, "I should have stayed home and listened to you. I certainly wouldn't be in this mess now. I'm sorry." And he truly was apologetic.

"You don't get it, Alexander," she responded, accenting the last syllable of his name like she always did. "As soon as I heard that you were hurt, I couldn't have cared less about the fight we had or that you hadn't listened to me. I'm not upset about that anymore; I've forgiven you, It's just..." her voice cracked as she tried to get her words out. "I can't stand the thought of losing you."

Alex softened, motioning for her to come sit on the edge of the bed by his side. "Come here, baby." She sat down next to him as he grabbed her hand. Eliza immediately calmed down, feeling comforted in the moment. "You're not going to lose me, I promise." He paused for a second as he thought of something that would make the both of them happy. "I should be released tomorrow, so how about I rest up when I get home, and then once I've healed some, I take you out on a romantic, long date night?"

Eliza smiled for the first time that night, "We haven't had one of those in a while."

"I know. School's just been so busy that we haven't had time for a real date night. That's going to change." He rubbed circles onto Eliza's knuckles, which were still freezing from the cold rain.

Eliza smiled, excited for the much needed night out alone together.

"Eliza? Will you go out on a date with me?" Alex laughed, mimicking the way he had asked her out on their first date all the way back in tenth grade.

She giggled and responded the same way she did all those years ago: "I'd love that."