"You broke my heart"

Prompt from Tumblr

...

"You broke my heart"

Eliza Schuyler had had a crappy day at work. And even that was an understatement. Her once neat bun was slipping down her neck, probably knotted like nobody's business, and even her makeup wasn't covering the bags under her eyes.

Most weeks as a first grade teacher were great. Those kids had stolen every inch of her heart. But some weeks, like this one, were exhausting. It was the Friday before Christmas break, so naturally, the kids were crazy, especially at their Christmas party that afternoon.

Eliza walked into the grocery store, heading to the ice cream section to pick up exactly what she needed to begin her Christmas break.

As she was heading to the register, she ran into someone who clearly wasn't watching where they were going. Their heads bonked together, Eliza nearly dropping the pint of ice cream in her hands.

"Sorry," she mumbled stepping back to see the man.

"Eliza?" He gasped when he recognized the woman.

"Alexander." She rolled her eyes, moving in attempt to get around him and avoid talking to him, to no avail.

He gently grabbed her wrist, looking at her with the biggest smile. "It's been a few years since we've seen each other, hasn't it?"

"Yes, and my life has been so much better," she snapped, glaring at him. "Now could you get out of my way? I've had a terrible week at work and this ice cream has been calling my name since nine a.m."

"I'm sorry to hear that," he continued, ignoring her request. "Maybe I could take you out on a date, for old time's sake? I've missed you a lot since we broke up."

Her blood boiled at the thought of their terrible break up. She had come home to their apartment after classes one day to find Alexander having sex with a girl from her sister's sorority, Maria. Naturally, Eliza yelled at him, leaving him on the spot.

"Are you kidding me, Alexander?! I don't think you missed me when you feeling up Maria," she spat, clenching her teeth together.

"I'm sorry about cheating on you. I already told you that. I want to make it work between us. I miss you."

"I have a boyfriend," she lied, pulling on her ear lightly and hoping that would cause him to go away.

He gave her a knowing look before responding. "Really? Because after dating for four years I can tell when you're lying. You always pull on your ear when you lie." He reached forward to caress her cheek, something she loved when they were dating. "I just want another chance. I've changed a lot in the six years since we broke up. I'm not the same person I was in college, you've gotta believe me."

Eliza's eyes began to turn red as she held back from angry crying. She pushed his hand away, shaking with rage. "You broke my heart, Alexander Hamilton. And nothing is going to change that."

Pushing him out of the way, she made her way up to the registers, and left him standing alone.