"I didn't want to stutter the first time I told you that I loved you."

Prompt found on Tumblr!

...

"I didn't want to stutter the first time I told you that I loved you"

It was a cool spring evening, and high school sophomores Alexander and Eliza were sitting in the grass in his backyard. Eliza was cuddled up in his sweatshirt, a blanket wrapped around both of them tightly. Their backpacks and homework had been put away for the moment, sitting just off to the side. They found each other's lips far more interesting than their science homework.

"Happy six months," Eliza smiled as they pulled away from each other's lips, pecking them once more and wiping a bit of her lipstick from her boyfriend's face with her thumb. She smirked when her eye caught the red mark she left on his neck. She'd have to help him cover it later before his mom saw it.

"Happy six months, Eliza," he repeated, pushing a piece of her hair behind her ear. Her cheeks and nose were a little pink from the chilly weather, but to Alex, it only made her look cuter. "You're beautiful," he blurted as if it was some sort of revelation even though he's said it hundreds of times to her before.

She looked down at her lap, smiling goofily and her cheeks getting pinker, though this time from blushing.

"I'll never get used to that," she laughed quietly to herself, playing with a loose thread on her jeans.

"Being called beautiful?" he asked confused.

"All the compliments," she corrected. "Don't get me wrong, I appreciate them, but I'll never get used to them. To know that that's how you feel about me... I've never felt like this before."

He smiled knowing the feelings he had for her were returned. Why, then, was he so nervous about saying those three words? "Eliza?"

"Hmm," she hummed in delight, feeling at complete bliss in the moment.

"I love..." he trailed off a second, a familiar knot in his stomach returning. Her face broke into a big smile, as if she knew what was coming next. "The sky right now!" he panicked, pointing the sunny blue sky. "Barely any clouds," he tacked on to the end, undecided whether he should sigh in relief or beat himself up.

"Oh," she replied, a little disappointed, "yeah, it's gorgeous. And the flowers my mom planted top it all off." She smiled, hiding her disappointment.

"That's not what I was trying to say," he breathed out, his decision clearly being to beat himself up. He knew how he felt; why was it just so dang hard to say?

"Oh?"

"Yeah. What I was trying to say was that I love..." He paused again, unable to finish his sentence. He groaned and slapped his palm to his face. "Gosh darn it, why can't I just say it?!" he rambles on, frustrated with himself.

Her head cocked to the side in confusion. "Say what?"

"That I love you!" he blurted before thinking. He hadn't even realized that he said it.

Her face broke into a smile. "I love you too," she said and leaned to give him a full kiss on the lips.

"I'm terrible," he pouted, arms over his chest, when he realized he had messed up the moment.

She laughed at how adorable he looked, all pouty like a little child. "No you aren't." Her thumb played with his jawline, stroking it lightly to calm him down.

"I didn't want to stutter the first time I told you that I love you."

"I don't mind," Eliza smirked. "I love you so much. That's all that matters to me." She laughed again before fixing a stray piece of Alexander's dark long hair out of the way. "Besides, you're pretty cute when you're nervous and frustrated."

"I love you too," he said, this time more confident, ignoring her last phrase.

She kissed his cheek quickly before leaning over to grab each of their backpacks and books. "So... time to stop getting distracted by kisses and get back on track with this science equation!"