"If I have to deal with your racist aunt again..."

Happy late Thanksgiving! 

Prompt from Tumblr

...

If I have to deal with your racist aunt again, I might just shoot myself. Or her."

Eliza Schuyler smiled as she finished knotting the tie around her boyfriend's neck, folding the collar down and flattening out the shirt. She looked up at her boyfriend with sparkling eyes and took the hair tie off of her wrist.

"Turn and sit on my chair," she whispered as she grabbed her hairbrush. As he obeyed, she began brushing Alexander's hair back gently, smoothing out all of the bumps and tying it at the nape of his neck.

"There." Eliza turned the rolling chair around and gave her boyfriend a peck on the nose. "Very handsome."

He rolled his eyes. "I feel silly."

"Just for a few hours? Then I'll let you wear sweats and an old band tee." Eliza winked, wrapping her arms around his neck. His hands found their home at her hips, his thumbs lightly brushing at the bare patch of skin from her rising shirt.

"Fine. But if I have to deal with your racist aunt again, I might just shoot myself. Or her."

Eliza threw her head back in laughter. "I give you all permission in the world. Never liked her much. I'm sorry she doesn't like you, though, sweetheart. I'm the one dating you, not her." Eliza paused and rolled her eyes at the thought of the racist remarks her aunt had made at her family's Easter dinner earlier that year when Alexander had met Eliza's extended family for the first time. "And I am quite fond of you."

She pecked his pouted lips, hoping to consolidate him. She didn't blame him, however. That night was the longest dinner of her life, she and multiple other family members constantly defending Alexander.

"And apart from her racist comments, she kept saying I was Mexican, too. I'm not Mexican, I'm Puerto Rican. They're two totally different things."

Eliza stood up to go change her clothes, searching through her closet to find a knee length burgundy dress and off-white cardigan. "Matches your tie," she said, showing him the dress she picked out.

She went into the bathroom to change into her dinner outfit, pulling along some tan booties with her. She emerged a few minutes later, her previous messy bun pulled out and her hair gently rested over her shoulders in loose waves.

"Gorgeous," Alexander gaped when Eliza returned, his heart skipping a beat.

"Well, like my crazy, racist aunt says: Thanksgiving only comes once a year; you should look your best for dinner." She rolled her eyes again, touching up her makeup quickly in the desk mirror. "Trust me, I'd rather go in a hoodie and leggings."

"And you'd look just as beautiful in that, too. You know, you really shouldn't try so hard to please your aunt."

She sighed, putting the cap back on her mascara. If only it was that easy. "I'd rather suck it up for one dinner than hear about it for the next six months."

Eliza turned around once she finished, fixing up Alexander's tie once more. "Ready?"

He stood up and linked his arm with his girlfriend's. "As I can be."

...

Two hours later, Eliza and Alexander returned from dinner, both of them immediately falling onto her bed. Eliza kicked her booties off, her feet immediately relieved from the shoe's pinches. She sighed, rolling onto her side and cuddling into Alexander's side. Her hand found its place on his chest and she leaned forward to place a kiss on his cheek.

"Thanks for doing a good job at dinner. You surprisingly bit your tongue better than I did!" She buried her face into the crook of his neck, ready to fall asleep after the hell of a dinner she just suffered through.

Alexander laughed and rubbed his eyes. "I can't believe you told off your aunt like that. I've never seen you so angry!"

Earlier in the night, Eliza's aunt had made a comment about whether Alexander was "legal or not", despite how he told her multiple times that he was from Puerto Rico, which was a U.S. territory and therefore he was a United States citizen by birth. Eliza may or may not have gone off on her about keeping her racist comments to herself. And Angelica, Peggy, and Alexander may or may not have had a hard time holding back their laughter.

"No one messes with my baby, or they'll discover an Eliza they didn't know existed."

He shook his head and smiled, his heart beating faster at the thought that this girl cared so much about him. "Who would have thought that you'd be the protective one? I like it though."

After a few moments of silence, lost in their thoughts, Eliza looked up to his eyes and said, "When we get married, can we do holidays at the Washington's?"

"Deal."