"It's all an adventure that comes with a breathtaking view"

I got this idea for a songfic from Tightrope from The Greatest Showman. I have always thought this song was perfect for Eliza and Alexander's relationship, and I finally after years got around to writing my first songfic! I attempted historical hamliza, which I know is a weakness of mine, but I hope I did them justice with this fic. I certainly enjoyed writing it, and I am very proud of it. I hope you enjoy this long fic! 

...

"It's all an adventure that comes with a breathtaking view"

Some people long for a life that is simple and planned tied with a ribbon

Some people won't sail the sea 'cause they're safer on land to follow what's written

Grand balls were never really Eliza's favorite thing. Getting dolled up with extra-large underskirts and hair that was so heavy it would hurt her neck was not her idea of a good time. She would always lock up and forget how to interact with her father's many friends, and of course she was expected to dance with many young eligible men.

"Tonight just may be your night, Lizzie," Angelica smiled as she finished pinning the last pieces of Eliza's hair backwards. "I hear Washington's army is going to be there tonight. Plenty of young men that I'm sure Papa would approve of. They'd be insane not to fall for you."

Eliza rolled her eyes, checking herself out in her handheld mirror. "I've already told you, Angie, that maybe I'm not ready to get married. Besides, I want to marry for love, not because I will be an old maid if I don't," she chuckled.

"But Mama expects you—"

"I am very aware of what Mama expects of me. It's what the whole country expects of me. You would understand not wanting to follow the plan that society places on women," Eliza frowned, feeling like she was sitting in another one of her mother's lectures.

"My dear sister, it is true that I may not want to follow it, but I'm smart enough to know that in order to have any status in society, I must," Angelica quipped and tapped Eliza's nose playfully.

This ball was not unlike the others that Eliza had been to throughout her life. She had danced with a few of Washington's men, clearly gaining the likes of quite a few of them. It was sickening, no, maddening to her. They were all handsome—that's for sure—and had plenty of money to support her, but their narcissism really turned Eliza away from them. It was all about them, their accomplishments, their wealth.

Her skirt swished through the crowd of people to find a way out of the spotlight. Friends had already been asking her if any of the men she had danced with suited her—and oh, one of these could be your husband, dear Eliza.

She was simply uninterested, feeling ready to retreat to her room and take off the god forsaken gown that was weighing so heavily on her body. And yet, she stuck a smile on her face, trying to appease guests, and of course her father.

Then out of the corner of her eye, a man with the most stunning violet-blue eyes and wavy red hair approached her. Clearly one of Washington's men handsomely clad in his uniform, he extended his hand.

"Elizabeth Schuyler, it's a pleasure to meet you," Eliza said, putting her hand in his.

"Alexander Hamilton," he smiled, leaning down to kiss her hand. "The pleasure is all mine, Miss Schuyler."

She blushed, her head tilting to the side as she smiled. His eyes were captivating, the shimmer in her eyes drawing her in. There was both youthfulness and experience behind those stunning eyes.

"Thank you for your service," Eliza choked out nervously, trying to find the right words to say. It was as if all of the words she had ever learned had left her brain and found its way to her stomach manifesting as butterflies.