Chapter 5: What's happening? (Hiccup & Toothless)

(Previously)

I look back at the tail, seeing it beginning to smoke and I wince. "As soon as we get back, I'm working on all the prosthetic tails to ensure this won't happen!" I voice shakily, seeing the tail catch alight. Toothless lets out a worried, apologetic whine and I pat his head. "I-It's ok, we only need to find somewhere to land and—"

The last thing I remember is seeing a huge explosion of light in front of us, before lightning comes crashing down and my world goes dark.
~~~

(Now)

The first thing I feel is that unmistakable feeling of falling—the feeling I have felt so often. But this time it doesn't bring me euphoria. My heart pounds harshly in my chest and I snap my eyes open to see a blur of colours and flashes of light as I spin down through the air. My mind struggles to piece together coherent words and memories to make sense of this mess, but I manage to come up with one word as my stomach drops even more than it already has. Toothless.

"T-Toothless." I stutter, terrified as I try to see him. Find him. Help him. His unmistakable screech meets my ears a second later, before he surges into view and wraps his wings around me. Just in time, too, because we hit the ground not a second later and I'm thrown into unconsciousness once again.

Toothless' POV

Waking to the feeling of falling is not an ideal way I wanted to spend my day. Sure, I've fallen through the sky plenty of times throughout the years; especially with Hiccup since we do free falling so often for fun. But this time it's different. Because I know my tail doesn't work. I know I can't fly us to safety. I know we could get seriously injured or even killed. I know this all too well, because of experience.

Just like that, I'm brought back to that moment all those years ago.

The Red Death.

I feel his panic, hear his racing heart and his frantic breathing. I hear the click of the stirrup as it fails to open the tail fin—the tail fin that no longer exists.

The heat is rising up on us, boosted by the gigantic beast slamming head first into the ground. Ironic, really. As she was unable to slow her descent just like I, too, am now unable to.

I thought I'd got us out of it. I thought I'd reached safety when we stopped weaving through the spikes. But I was wrong. I forgot to mind her tail.

"And now", I think as the tail slams into my side and knocks Hiccup right off my back and down towards the explosion of flames below, "I'm going to pay for it."

The same feeling is what brings me back to reality, feeling his familiar weight falling from my back. Shortly after, as I'm opening my eyes, I hear his panicked whimper of my name. I don't even pay attention to our surroundings, I don't notice the rain or the wind or the thunder, I just notice him. Nothing matters but him.

And so it's like déjà vu as I dive down towards him, like all those years ago, and wrap him in my wings. I can only hope that I haven't gotten him hurt again because of me.

Sure, he lived. We both did, But he nearly didn't. He isn't protected by scales or claws like I am—even though I'm sure I broke a few bones that day, too. He only has his armour and his large lack of self preservation skills (his father used to call him boar-headed) to protect him.

Which is why he almost lost more than his leg that day— he almost lost his life. All because I was too slow, I wasn't quick enough to keep away from the fire and I wasn't smart enough to find another way.

And just like that day, I don't have control.

Just like that day, I can only wrap him in my wings and pray that we'll be ok.

————————————————————————

Yes I know it's short but what would you expect? Lmao. The chapters will get longer btw. The story will follow this chapter pattern hopefullywith one chapter being Peter and the next chapter being Hiccup. We'll see how we go but this is how I see it for now. Shit goes down next chapter!

Thanks for reading!