Chapter 47: What Once Was May Never Be Again (Hiccup)

(Super proud of that chapter title)

Previously:

Hiccup and Toothless continued on the battle, but Hiccup was so caught up on what Evil Strange had said that he was being reckless and rough on the battlefield, it wasn't until he realised that he could have gotten Toothless killed that he snapped out of it. He confessed that he wasn't sure if he was going to return to New Berk given the chance, because he didn't want to face no one being there. Etc etc, you get the gist.

Alternate title: Battle Had Enough Bloodshed, why Add More With This Game?
Other Alternate title: Hiccup gets a little too philosophical (I'm writing this at 2 am)

Refer to the previous chapter for Peter's recollection of the recent events

Now:

Being back in the tower feels both good and bad. Good, because we're not fighting for our lives and are finally able to relax. Bad, because we're not fighting. Turns out, if my body isn't moving, my mind is. And there's nothing I can do to stop the barrage of thoughts from invading my mind. What if he was right? What if they're all gone? What if they're injured? What if they need me? What if Astrid is hurt? What if she's dead? Can I really consider going back if she's dead? Staying here would be better. The idea of our world being nothing more than a memory, what once was, hurts... but the idea of going back to destruction hurts a thousand times more.

I look around the room as everyone settles, food and drinks being passed around. These people aren't so bad. They're...different. But they've shown us kindness, in their own sort of way. Tony didn't have to take us to the tower, or make sure I got medical treatment, in fact he probably had every right to ship us off to some kind of prison. Spider-man didn't have to speak to us with kindness and listen to me talk about dragons. Even Yelena didn't have to speak to me about the stolen "Mac and cheese" or pockets. But they all did. And it's not much, probably the bare minimum, but if they can at least tolerate us then maybe they could warm to the idea of us staying permanently?

Toothless and I aren't the type to just sit and watch as danger unfolds, but we're not necessarily the type to go searching for it. Well, we weren't. I know there's parts of myself that have been damaged, the peacekeeper in me chipped away so thin that maybe the only reason I want to stay is to cling to whatever could loosely resemble peace. Or maybe staying represents violence... I know these guys aren't strangers to battle. Maybe the need to keep moving within me is the real reason I want to stay.

A nudge from Toothless brings me out of my thoughts, and I blink down at him, grateful for the distraction. "Hey, bud." I smile, scratching his head. He purrs, leaning into my hand, then curls around me and flips over, asking for a belly rub. I oblige, chuckling softly. The tension fades from my body as the minutes pass by. I can tell Toothless is relaxed, too. He is going to be so hungry tonight. He always eats so much after a battle. Granted, our scuffles with trappers and hunters don't really compare to the aliens and robots we just fought.

I sigh softly, leaning against his side after we both settle. His saddle is off, laying in the corner of the room next to my armour. A few things will need some repairing, but it's nothing that can't wait a while. My next idea is to rebuild the tail he can control, if Tony will let me use the lab again.

I look around at everyone as they set up the game, a lot of them having a drink in hand— some clearly some type of ale, while others hold mugs—much like the hot one Bruce (he was the big green guy in the battle, turns out) passes me that he calls "green tea". It's quite nice and is helping to relax me, actually.