Chapter 41: Yay More Fighting, Just What We Need (Hiccup)

Previously:

Hiccup and Toothless rescue Kate from falling and fly around with her for a bit, before dropping her off and continuing the battle. Across the city, Tuffnut and Ruffnut snuck through a building.

Now:

Toothless barrel rolls, avoiding a heap of falling rubble, and then tucks his wings, taking us into a dive and picking off a few robots with a plasma blast. We sweep away from the explosion of flames and I cheer, but it's short lived when I hear Tony yell through the ear device.

"UNDEROOS!"

I grab the saddle bars and twist us to the right, avoiding a robot which crashes to the ground from our direction change, and turn my head looking for Tony. What's got him so worried?

I get my answer when I spot him practically falling next to Spider-Man, who's laying on the ground unmoving. Oh no.

"Spider-Man is hit!" Captain America's voice proclaims over the coms, sounding worried.
"What?!" Natasha yells.
"What happened?! Bullet? Fire?" Bucky asks.
"How bad is it?" comes from Wanda. "Is he... is he dead?"
"Starks with him, enemies are closing in. I'm on my way."  Captain America responds.
I slip off my helmet and speak into the coms. "So are we, we'll cover from above." I then slip my helmet back on and nod at Toothless, who speeds through the air until we reach them. Now Tony is pressing his hand to Spider-Man's chest, and I see his body jolting.

"Oh my gods," I mutter. "What's happening to him?!"

Toothless growls lowly, not happy either. I see Spider-Man's body jolt again, Steve is not far now.

A sudden change in direction has me refocusing just in time for Toothless to tackle a flying robot out of the sky. The world spins and I hold on tight to the saddle, trusting Toothless to know which way is up. He stops short and sends the robot flying into a building so hard the building shakes. We turn away when the robot hits the ground and doesn't move.

We get back above Tony to see Steve fending off aliens and robots with his shield, doing his best to keep them away from Spider-Man.

"His hearts stopped, Tony is trying to restart it." Steve announces over the coms. "How is the battle looking for everyone else?"
Heart STOPPED?!
The colour drains from my face as my thoughts turn to my father. Spider-Man is dead.

Toothless growls, ears pricking and vibrating as if listening to something I can't pick up on. I look around, alert. "What is it? Bud?"

He looks around, but looks up at me, his eyes telling me he doesn't know. "Stay alert." I tell him. He sends a plasma blast down to the ground, which blows up a hoard of aliens heading towards Tony and Spider-Man. We continue to circle in the sky, ensuring that no aerial attacks will occur. About a minute passes, each passing second weighing more and more as Spider-Man remains unmoving. We work hard on keeping the air space free, if not for us then for the quinjet— which someone is trying to call in.

"It's disengaged, sometimes wrong with its communication system."
"Can you by-pass it, Rhodey?" Clint asks.
"I'm trying." 'Rhodey' responds. "I'm trying to get in contact with—"
"What is it?" A man asks, I think it's the Dr Strange guy.
"It's Spider-man, he's down. Stark's trying to bring him back." Natasha responds.
"What?!" Dr strange shouts. "Down—down how?"
"Down as in his heart has stopped." Rhodey sounds frustrated. "I'm trying to release the quinjet. Can you try from your end?"
"I'll, uh, I'll try."
Dr Strange doesn't seem like the kind of person who would let himself get worked up, but he's certainly not hiding his worry now.