Chapter 39: Kate joins the party and probably leaves traumatised (Hiccup)

Previously:

I pull inferno back and step away from the alien, turning away to fight whatever is closest to me, just to freeze.

"Wow, Hiccup. Not even a hello? I'm offended."

"DAGUR?!"

Refer to the last chapter for Peter's recollection of the recent events

Now

I stare at him, dumbfounded as my chest heaves from the exhaustion setting into my body. Am I going crazy? Seeing hallucinations? There's no way I'm ACTUALLY looking at Dagur, right?!

He just grins at me. "Never would've thought I'd see you running around a battle field!"

I shake my head, lifting the front of my helmet up. "I'm going crazy. How did you get here?!"

"Ohh nothing much, just some weird storm." He shrugs, looking around. "I've nearly died like five times since I got here! It's AMAZING!"

"How long— how long have you been here?" I ask him. Did he come through when I did? Before then? After? How did no one find him?

An alien comes charging at us, and Dagur turns and slams his sword into its neck with a loud battle cry. It falls to the ground at his feet and he smirks. "Ohh I've missed this!" He strokes his fingers along his blade, then sheaths his sword with a crazed glint in his eye.

"Dagur," I say. "How long have you been here?" Had people seen him?
"A few hours, quit worrying about it." He waves me off and roles his eyes, looking around the battlefield. "Not the same thing I can say for you."

"Well, no— no I've been here for a few days." I stammer. It's not like it's been in my control. He turns and regards me with a disbelieving frown.

"A few days?! Really Hiccup?!"

I tilt my head. "What's that supposed to— where are you going?"

He runs off before I can even finish my sentence, and I hurry to chase after him. "Over here, brother!" He laughs, and launches himself at a small alien climbing over a chunk of rubble laying on a wheeled contrition. He full on tackles it off the rubble and onto the ground below, wrestling to keep it below him. "Now, Hiccup!" He looks up at me, letting off his infamous laugh. "Strike it!"

"Uhh..." I look at the alien struggling in his arms. This one is the smallest I've seen, about the size of a lamb. I swallow nervously, hesitant.

"Whoa!" Dagur barely dodges it's horns, "You're a tough guy, eh?" He continues in his efforts to hold it down. I see the alien swing it's head at him again, and this time I don't hesitate. I run forward and slash at it's throat. It drops dead, the horns barely missing Dagur's face. He's then able to get off it and stand up.

I breathe heavily, shaking my head to try and shake off the feeling in my gut. I am not cut out for this. I can not just go around killing creatures. It's against what I stand for.

Dagur launches himself onto a really low flying robot, hacking at it with his sword until it crashes to the ground.

But I know that I don't have a choice; whether I fight or not could be the difference between Toothless and I going home or not—and now it's not just us, it's Dagur too.