Chapter 48: My eyes are leaking (Peter)

Previously:

It's at this moment, seeing everything and everyone seeming so perfect... that I decide it's missing something. One last thing to tie everything together, complete the family picture. It's something I'd probably be more scared about doing if I weren't so buzzed off the medication, but I know it had to happen sooner rather than later.

I reach my hands up.

Curious heads turn my way.

I pull off my mask.

Aka: Peter decided that its time to be sentimental and wholesome and unmask in front of everyone because he's finally decided he can trust them with the information.

(Not that they didn't already know May is his aunt and could have found out his identity if they really tried to, but we don't need to talk about that).

Refer to the last chapter for Hiccup's recollection of the recent events

This is mainly very in-your-face fluffy

like seriously it's borderline cringe

so I understand if it makes you skip the chapter lmfao I would too

Now:

I stand there, my mask in my hands, as everyone stares. A lump forms in my throat and I do everything I can to stay calm, but no one is speaking and I'm so scared. What if this was a mistake? I've had countless nightmares about my identity being revealed. I really hope I'm not about to relive them.

But then Natasha Romanoff, the godsend, says the five words that make everything instantly better. "Welcome to the Avengers, Spider-man." She gives me a tilted nod and something in-between a smile and a grin.

Her approval seems to stop the silence that had taken over the room and everyone cheers—I hear some confused and reluctant cheers amongst the crowd, but don't pay attention as drinks are raised in toast and various praises ringing out from around the room.

Relief floods through me and I let it show, exhaling in relief. If the least trusting of the Avengers is being the first to welcome me, then I probably have nothing to worry about, right?

A few notable voices are:
"Yes, man of spiders!" From Thor.
"That's a kid. It's fine. Totally." From Bucky. "Uh, yay, I guess. I'm totally not going to lie awake over this."
"Yeah!" Even Hiccup cheers.
"Why are we yelling?" Tuffnut yells above everyone else.
"Whoo!" Yelena raises her glass, "now I don't have to stalk you, Spider-man!"

"Peter." I admit, wanting everyone to hear me so they can put a name to the face. "My name is Peter."

At that people cheer again, making me exhale in relief. What was I even afraid of?

"Would you look at this!" Mr Stark exclaims, taking his sunglasses off and grinning. He walks next to me and ruffles my hair before clapping me on the shoulder. After a beat he claps my shoulder again. "Proud o' ya." He mutters casually. I grin wider, pride hammering in my chest. He just told me he was proud of me oh my god how do I proceed oh my—

"Does this mean I can interrogate you?" Natasha raises an eyebrow.
I laugh nervously. "Uh... I guess it does?" Please don't.