Chapter 21: I'm something of an inventor myself (Hiccup)

Previously:

Tony invited Hiccup to come down to his lab, partly to see what Hiccup is capable of and partly so Hiccup can repair Toothless' gear. Hiccup realised that Tony must be an inventor, too.

Refer to the last chapter for Peter's recollection of the recent events.

Now:

This place is crazy. It's so... different. And the technology. Wow. If you haven't guessed, I'm talking about Tony's "lab". It's very interesting, there's tools I recognise and tools I don't. He was kind enough to explain the tools I didn't understand to me, but he generally left me to my own devices. Partly because he was too busy chasing after his inventions. Been there.

The Forge has nothing on this place. Gobber is going to be so surprised when I upgrade it when we get back. My smile falters. If we get back... no. I shouldn't think like that. Berk is waiting for our return, we can't let them down. Astrid is waiting for our return. I won't let her down.

Anyway, it's no surprise that it doesn't take long to finish making the metal. Sure, it's slightly different metal to what I'm used to working with, and sure the equipment is advanced, but it works just fine! It's a little more shiny, actually. Toothless, who had been running around the place in a ball of energy, was very glad to have it put on.

Testing the stirrup as Tony finally lets go of the fin and stands up, I'm pleased to see that the tail fin spreads easily. I smile in relief.

"It's fascinating," Tony declares, "for the technology of your time."

"I don't know if that's an insult or a compliment," I quip with a grin.

"You must have done other things," Tony adds, ignoring my statement. Spider-man (wearing normal looking clothes except for the mask. I still wonder if it really comes off) is by our side now and speaks up eagerly.

"Yeah, surely you've done a lot!"

I rub the back of my neck, sheepish. "Well, yeah. My girlfriend says I spend too much time in the forge." I smile at the thought of Astrid dragging me away.

"Come on, Hiccup. You've been cooped up in here all day!" She takes the cold metal out of my hands and places it aside, grabbing my wrist and dragging me away despite my valiant attempt at protesting. "It's not going anywhere," she insists, "You can survive a walk around the island, thank you very much." I groan softly, but give in, letting her take me on a walk around the island.

"So, what have you done?" Spider-man breaks me out of my thoughts.

I pause, thinking about everything. I sure have done a lot. "Well, I did improve the water works, making it easier to put out fires and helped the water flow better. I've made a hel of a lot of dragon saddles, inferno-my fire sword—, lots of different kinds of contraptions—some that work as traps, some shoot.. bolas, some work with winches and move stuff around. Oh, and the shield."

"Wow, that all sounds really cool Mr. Hiccup!" Spider-man beams.

"Shield?" Tony questions. I nod.

"It's made to look ornate, but it's more than a shield. Transforms into a crossbow, fires nets and bolas, it's also a handy catapult. Definitely one of my best creations." It sure has saved us from a lot of hunters. I'd probably have been impaled by now if I didn't have it.

"Do you think you could show us?" Spider-man asks, while Tony gives an impressed whistle. I shrug.

"Sure, later. It's up in the room."

One of Tony's inventions knocks something off the table and he groans, moving off with Spider-man to contain it.

Toothless chooses this moment to nudge me eagerly, I chuckle and humour him. It's understandable, we're finally able to fly again. We play fight for a bit which ends up with me on my back as we bat at each other.

Some time later, the "tv"—I think that's what FRIDAY said— turns on to show a man and woman behind a desk, the screen behind them showing the image of a house's roof being blown off.

"Breaking news, two storms are forming off the east border of New York. This appears to be spontaneous, which baffles the authorities. Be advised, they may become very extreme." I look at the tv curiously, which is displaying images of fast winds and rain. They sure do get a lot of storms here. "Take the necessary precautions to ensure your safety, call the numbers on your screen should you find yourself in imminent danger."

Spider-man and Tony don't seem worried, still working away on one of Tony's inversions together, however they look up when a man I vaguely recognise as the guy with the book, the cape. and a lot of questions from yesterday walks in from the elevator.

"We need to talk."

My sincerest apologies for being late, I've been caught up with work lol