Can't Catch A Break (Alternate Epilogue: Peter)

I stand outside of the school, talking with Ned while we both wait to be picked up. Today Mr Stark is supposed to be picking me up, and I was surprised to not see his car when i walked out, because usually he obnoxiously waits in the front of the drop off line and revs his engine at anyone that ventures close to try and see into the dark tinted windows (that are probably illegal).

Sometimes he calls me and has me leave class like half an hour early because he's 'impatient' and 'BORED, Pete. Save me. I'm dying.' and occasionally because he's getting harassed by the paparazzi. Who still don't know about me, by the way.

We're waiting for the right time to tell the world that I'm now partly under the care of Tony Stark and Pepper Potts. Pepper, or Mum as I sometimes call her, thinks I should wait until I'm out of high school at the very least. To maintain some sort of normal life while I still can. Tony, or Dad, just wants it to be over and done with because he doesn't like press conferences or the press in general. He said that he wants to brag about his kid to other rich people, and he's said that the pap has been up his ass for literally his whole life. That he can teach me 'how to tell them to fuck off without being sued' by them. Not that they'd even be able to touch me, because Pepper says we have the best lawyers in the country.

"Its gotta be something big, Ned. Dramatic. Maybe funny." I insist.

"Well, when do you want to do it? tell everyone?"

"Soon." I respond, looking around for prying eyes. No pap today, we always change the schedule so they can't keep up with it. They know Tony comes to the school sometimes, because they follow him, but they don't know why because we've always communicated well and executed back up plans. "They'll figure it out on their own eventually, and I don't want that."

Ned nods. "Oh, yeah totally. Can't have that. Do you have any ideas?"

i smirk, and lower my voice. "I was thinking, and you know how we have that video assignment coming up?"

"Uh, yeah, the—the one about consumerism and all that."

"Yeah! Well I am doing mine as an analysis of parasitic and symbolic relationships between companies and consumers."

"Right... how does this relate?"

"Well, I was thinking of like, doing it in the tower. And I'd talk about how its 'very hard' to have 'good data' because as a researcher we're still consumers, and 'don't have' insider knowledge, right, and then, like, Mr Stark would walk in the background. And just keep going back and forth as I talk, and anyone else there, too. I think it would be so funny."

"Dude!" Ned exclaims, and I have to shush him. He continues, quieter. "That is so cool, you have to do it."

I grin. "I bet it'll go viral. i'll submit it along with an actual video about my topic, so I don't fail or anything, but it'll definitely get leaked to the public. I might post it on my accounts just to get one up on them."

"That's so smart, dude. Oh, there's my mum, sorry man. Hope he's here soon!"

"I'll text you later, man. Say hi to your mum!" I say, and we do our handshake.

"I will, see you tomorrow!"

I wait in front of the school for another fifteen minutes, when most of the other kids are gone. I check my phone again for the sixth time in the last minute. Still no notification. I text Mr Stark.

Hey, I'm waiting outside of school still. Everything ok?

I pause, realising I might have come across as needy, so I send another text.

I can totally walk home, its no big deal. or catch a tram. or swing.

A few more minutes pass, and I sigh. I put my airpods in and quietly speak outloud, checking that no one is too close to me.