Chapter 18: The Media is annoying (Peter)

Previously:

Peter enjoyed a dinner of "meat cake" (see: lasagna) with Pepper and Tony, where they outlined the following day. He then finished the day by having a call with MJ.

Refer to the last chapter for Hiccup's recollection of the recent events.

Now

"... but look, man!" I say, leaning my foot on the fence as I talk to a man, "You don't have to dwell on her, you've got bigger and better things out there waiting! Don't let this drag you down."

"I know," the man sighs as he kicks at the ground, "I know... it's just, I really thought she was the one, y'know? I thought...maybe...we'd grow old together."

I smile at him, though he can't see it. "Would Bee want you to be sad?"

"No. I guess not..."

"Then I think you know, you need to move on,"

"Yeah... I just don't know if I'll ever have a dog as great as her."

"Maybe not, but there's no harm in keeping the door open."

"Thanks," he inhales. He gives me a small smile. "Y'know, you've very wise for a guy flipping 'round he city."

I chuckle, "Yeah maybe it's the blood going to my head, but I like to think I help people."

He grins. "Thank you, Spider-man. I mean it, I don't have anyone to talk to."

I salute, standing up. "It's what I'm here for buddy." He waves at me, and I fire a web, swinging away. Man, it feels good helping people.

After a few seconds, a shout grabs my attention and I turn my head to see a kid snatch a loaf of bread from a bakery cart. Swinging down, I snatch the bread right out of the kids hand and give it back to the bakery. Then, before the kid can run away I drop down in front of him.

"Hey, whatcha do that for?" I ask casually, not trying to spook the kid.

The kid, looking no older then 10, shrugs. "Reasons." He looks like he's living off the streets, which makes me frown.

"Y'know, if you're hungry, you'd have much better luck going to the shelter a few blocks away. They serve free food and drinks all day long. Even have places to rest, if you need it."

The kid pauses. "I... I'm new to all this."

"Yeah, I get it dude."

He doesn't say anything, looking hesitant.

"Now, the shelter is a big blue building with loads of signs." I add. "It's just up that street, then turn left, then across the lights. Can't miss it." I point in the direction of the nearest homeless shelter. I hope the kid can get help.

He gives me a small nod. "Thanks, or whatever." 

"It's alright man, just don't steal ok?"

"Yeah. Sorry."

He walks off. Wow, I'm on a role today!

Just as I'm about to swing off, a voice calls out. "Spider-man, do you have a minute?"

I turn, to see some news crews gathering. How on earth did they get here so fast?!

"I..." but they're already in front of me, microphones thrusted in my face. They're all speaking at once, surrounding me.

"Can you tell us what happened in Central Park last night?"

"Was it anticipated?"