𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

third personwest valley

third person
west valley

HAYDEN SANDERS ran a hand through her hair as she climbed out of the backseat, looking up at the apartment complex she'd soon call 'home.'

raising a brow, she walked over to the trunk, crossing her arms and leaning against the side of the car while her mom and sister unloaded the bags.

esme sanders sharply shoved her bag toward her, though her gaze never left the trunk, still sorting through all the bags.

hayden arched her brow even higher, taking the bag from esme and pushing herself off the car.

esme was restless.

the bags under her eyes dark and the whites of her eyes being bloodshot said it all.

it was clear she had been days without rest. her hair looked oily and up in a messy bun. she wore a baggy shirt with a caridigan she hugged around herself, and jeans.

she was exhausted and it was apparent to anyone with working eyes. for a moment, hayden felt a pang of guilt for giving her mom so much trouble.

it washed away quickly though.

logan sanders walked over to her, looking up at the apartment complex that so clearly needed a lot of fixing.

the paint from the walls were chipped (and still chipping), the bricks were rusted, the plants that were there for obvious decor reasons were far from alive, and hayden was pretty sure she'd seen a homeless guy piss in one of the potted plants just a minute ago.

logan hummed, blowing a strand of hair out of her face.

"we're up those stairs, the second door down the hall." esme said, pointing at the staircase next to a couple of apartment doors.

hayden chewed on her lower lip, giving a curt nod and heading towards the stairway.

esme sighed as she watched her youngest walk away from her. she knew hayden was unhappy with their move. but, as a mother, she felt that it was necessary.

new york was toxic, and hostile. she wanted hayden to live in a more friendly environment. where she didn't have to worry about getting into fights, and getting publicly humiliated by her boyfriend.

"you think she'll get over it?" esme asked, looking over to logan who only shrugged.

"she'll be fine. she's just mad she had to leave some of her friends behind. and the shitty boyfriend, or ex boyfriend of hers." logan rolled her eyes, watching hayden go up the stairs and disappear into their new apartment, then turning back to the trunk to help with the luggage.

logan took out one of her bags and set it on the ground, trailing her gaze to the side. "so.. do you think now would now be a bad time to tell her i'm thinking of getting a place of my own?"

esme stopped all her movement completely, staring at her oldest in shock.

meanwhile, hayden spent her time walking around the apartment and familiarizing herself with the space she'd be living in for her next few years of high school.

there wasn't much to see. the apartment was tiny and barely big enough for the three of them to live in.

she walked outside and onto the hallway of the building, leaning her hands against the railing as she stared down at her mother and her sister.

she wasn't a lip reader, but she didn't have to be to tell they were having a serious conversation.

"hey," she called out, finally deciding to make her presence known.

esme quickly turned and logan snapped her gaze up towards her, looking like a deer caught in the headlights.

hayden furrowed her brows in confusion, flickering her gaze between her sister and her mother before hesitantly continuing. "uh, i was just gonna ask which one of these rooms is mine?"

esme let out a sigh of relief, thankful hayden hadn't heard their discussion.

logan and hayden were close, they have always been. since birth. and right now, esme knew hayden needed logan during their move. it was a big adjustment for a sixteen year old girl. new york and it's violent hostility was all hayden ever knew.

she needed someone to help her adjust. she needed someone there for her.

"the second one down the hall!" her mother called back. hayden nodded, quickly disappearing back inside.

her room was small, but she didn't mind. her closet was big enough for her clothes and there was just enough space on the walls for all her posters.

her bed fit perfectly in the corner and she had just enough space for her tiny nightstand.

it was perfect so far. hayden couldn't control where she lived, but she could at least control how she decorated her room.

she walked into the living room, seeing her mom and sister come in with more bags on their shoulders and shrugging them off onto the couches.

she looked around the tiny apartment for the first time, paying close attention to the details.

the walls were painted eggshell white, though it looked like it'd been a while since someone had done a repaint job.

there were spider webs in the corners of the ceilings and the carpet in the living room area seemed to be mostly clean. except, there was a faint, faint stain on it that she doubted anyone would notice but she somehow did.

hayden liked to think of herself as extremely observant. she took the time to notice just about anything, from the twitch of an eye to habitual quirks people had. something she considered helpful at times.

especially when she lived in new york.

——
dani speaks !

so it begins... 😼
y'all i'm so excited for this book, i have so many ideas you don't even knowww
hope you enjoyed this :))