𝐨𝐧𝐞

third personthe sanders residence

third person
the sanders residence

hayden stared at herself in the mirror, frowning at the sight.

she was paler than usual, the bags under her eyes were dark, and she overall looked restless.

she hadn't gotten any sleep since the fight. she couldn't.

every time she closed her eyes, images of miguel would flash her mind. every. single. time.

every time she'd try and sleep, she'd have nightmares about the fight, instead of robby kicking miguel off the railing, it was her.

that's how hayden had felt anyway. she was the one to start the fight, she practically put miguel in that hospital bed.

she stood straighter, sliding her fingers to the hem of her shirt and slowly lifting it up to reveal the large bruise that took up hayden's entire ribcage.

it hadn't healed and it still hurt hayden to even lay on her side. she winced just looking at the bruise, quickly shoving her shirt back down.

"you were expelled! again!" hayden's mom shouted, raising her arms.

"i—i don't know what to do with you anymore hayden. i mean—i'm working and—and trying to provide for us, but imagine how i felt when the school and police called me, telling me my daughter started a school fight!"

hayden placed her hands over her eyes, rubbing harshly with a sigh.

"i can't believe you. i can't believe you got caught up in this bullshit again!"

"it's not bullshit mom! you have no idea what the larusso's put me through—"

"oh, and you're lucky mr. larusso and mrs. larusso seem to think you had nothing to do with it. they've told police not to press charges! so— oh my god, i can't even look at you right now."

hayden was taken aback at her moms last sentence, her angered expression faltering before her gaze hardened again.

"you've never bothered to listen to me, all you do is fucking work! maybe had you actually been a mother to your daughter, you would've realized she was struggling at home!"

hayden sucked in a sharp breath, running her hands up her face and through her hair, tugging at the roots angrily.

"struggling?! with what?! all i ask of you is to go to school, get your education, and stay out of trouble and you can't even do that!"

hayden let out a loud frustrated groan. "you don't care about me! don't act like you care about me because you never have! it's all about you, it's always about you and what you go through! i'm sorry you got pregnant at sixteen and you live a miserable life now, but how is any of that my fault?!"

esme's eyes widened in anger before clenching her jaw. "go to your room! i don't want to see you for the rest of the day!"

hayden stared at her mom with narrowed eyes, huffing and going to her room, slamming the door shut.

"robby, this is my," hayden paused, looking at her call log before putting the phone back to her ear, "twenty-third call, now. i'm—i'm really worried about you... please, anything. i'll take anything. a call, a text, a fucking letter. just—just call me back if you can." hayden sighed, hanging the phone up and tossing it on her bed.

she rubbed her temples in frustration.

"it was two weeks ago today at west valley high where what can only be described as an all-out karate riot caught students and faculty off-guard sending shock waves through the valley." hayden looked up, squinting her eyes at the tv.

"we're still waiting for a statement from a few teens involved, including who seemed to be the start of the whole thing: hayden sanders." the girl gulped as her picture came up on the screen, her brow twitching.

"police are still looking for robby keene, who ran away after kicking fellow student, miguel diaz, off a second floor balcony, landing right here on this staircase." hayden swallowed when a picture of the high school was put up, the image of miguel laying on the stairs, all bruised up flashing in her mind.

"keene has since been expelled. diaz, meanwhile, remains in a coma at west valley general. doctors say his—" hayden stared at the picture of miguel on the screen, feeling the familiar sting in her throat when she was about to cry.

she quickly clicked off the tv, sitting on her bed with tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

she rubbed her eyes quickly, clearing her throat.

she was slowly going crazy being locked up in her house all day. she looked at the time on her phone, 7:38.

esme didn't get home until ten. and she didn't have house monitors, nor did she have a babysitter.

hayden sucked in a deep breath. she had nothing else to lose. grabbing her skateboard, she swung her door open and slammed it shut, jogging down the steps.

-

homeless shelter number three. hayden thought to herself as she walked forward, looking around the lot.

it didn't seem so much as a shelter, more of a homeless get together and camp out kind of thing.

hayden scanned the lot, walking back and forth, double checking every square inch of the place before letting out a sigh of frustration and pulling her phone out, checking off the homeless shelter on her list.

"excuse me, are you looking for someone?" hayden turned around, her heart dropping in fear of being recognized but she realized it was just another homeless man. she let out a small breath.

"yeah, i am actually. have you happened to see this boy?" she held her phone up, showing him a picture of robby and her together.

they'd taken it at the ice cream parlor he took her to, the first time they'd went. hayden smiled at the memory and often stared at the picture to remember the simpler times.

"i actually have. he came 'round here looking for somewhere to sleep. he didn't have much with him, a few quarters maybe. he didn't stick around long, he left a few minutes after he got here. went that way." the man explained, pointing in the direction he'd seen robby take off.

"and—and when was this?" hayden quickly asked, wondering if she could possibly catch up.

"uh— i don't know. maybe half an hour ago?" he shrugged.

hayden let out a gasp as she fished her pockets and pulled out a ten dollar bill, handing it to the man. "thank you, thank you, thank you!" she breathed out before taking off in that direction.

she took out her phone, pressing the call button again in hopes of hearing his phone anywhere near her.

it was all wishful thinking though, because she didn't hear anything for miles. and she didn't find robby.

——
dani speaks !

idk is hayden going off the rails? 🤔 this isn't even the start yet tho lolll also i finished cobra kai season five and O M G i have lots of ideas 🤭