7.3 Special Exam! Part 1

Ayanokoji POV

"Huh? Special test? What do you mean?"

 Almost everyone in our class asked some variation on that question. We'd all thought this was just a class trip, only to be hit by this surprise attack. Our summer vacation was a product of the school's goodwill, but that had been an illusion. We plummeted from relief into stark tension.

 "The test commences now and lasts for one week, concluding on August 7th at the year's end. This test will determine if you can live on a deserted island together as a group. In addition, I should warn you that this special test is both practical and realistic, designed based on real-world corporate training."

"What the— we barely had time for a break, and now we are having a special exam. This school is annoying." Muttered Nino who was just standing beside me on the other side.

"Living on a deserted island. Does that mean we're not staying on the boat, but the island?"

Some students from Class B and C voiced their obvious concerns. 

"You are correct. During the test, you will not be allowed to board the ship without a suitably justifiable reason. It will be necessary for you to fend for yourselves on this island while you are from creating a place to sleep to preparing food to eat. Once the test starts, each class will receive two tents and two flashlights. You will be provided with one box of matches. There is no limit to the amount of sunscreen you can have. Each student will be provided with one toothbrush. As a special case, girls will be allowed to have as many feminine sanitary products as they'd like, without any restrictions. Please ask your respective homeroom teachers for those. That is all." 

With that, the teachers began distributing the items.

Ike and some other students were protesting, but the teachers reprimanded them. Yamauchi tried to sneak off to the ship, but Mashima-sensei caught him and gave him a glare. He told that he will be expelled next time, which made Yamauchi pale.

"Kiyotaka,  what now?" asked Miku. 

Sigh! Should I help them? I don't want to but I think I should because getting low points would risk these girls their expulsion, which I do not want. I need to make sure to stay low. I need to risk my peaceful life here. And also, from the request of certain someone. I need to win this exam. (A/N: Yes, it's Chabashira, but the theme of blackmail is different here. And, don't comment before you know what it is.)

'Risking my freedom to protect my freedom, huh? How ironic'

"Wait until they tell us the rules," I replied.

"Haa, I see. You are so discontented with the exam." Mashima sensei said.

For some students, they want to enjoy the beach, taking a break from school. But, after the sudden announcement of the exam, many students were discontented. It was obvious.

"However, please do not worry. It would make sense for you to have complaints if you were being forced into a harsh situation. However, even though we're calling it a special test, there's no need to think about it in such unhappy terms. In the coming week, you can go swimming, or hold a barbecue. It wouldn't be a bad time for you to occasionally have a campfire and chat with friends, either. The theme of this special exam is 'freedom', after all."  He added.

"Huh? The theme is freedom? I'm so confused, right now?" Said Itsuki. I can sense that question was for me.

"But, this theme reminds me of certain someone," said Ichika with a devilish grin while looking at me. 

Even though this was a test, we were free to play. The contradiction confused the students, and our doubts only increased. 

"As a major part of this special test, we've decided to distribute 300 points to each class. By using your points well, you might be able to enjoy this week's special test just as you would a normal trip. We've also prepared a manual just for that purpose."