Chapter 1: Odd

Chapter 1: Odd

I watched my fiancé as he reads the news while he sips on a freshly made cup of brewed coffee. He had his reading glasses on, and his nose was deeply into his reading. I found him so intriguing. Even him simply reading caught my attention.

We didn't discuss much of a wedding. I guess he tried his best to avoid the subject since he, and his family weren't on good terms still. Even though they apologized for their behavior towards him, I knew deep down their connections were as cold as ice still.

I shyly walked over to Yamada, and wrapped my arms around his neck from behind, embracing him. He shifts his body away. "Not now Kyou." He gets up immediately, and went upstairs.

He has been this way lately. Every time I tried to convey some sort of romantic gesture, he would instantly move away from me as if I was some disgusting creature.

Ever since he has been released from the hospital, he has never acted quite like himself. Most of the time I would try to ignore it since I figured it was his way of adjusting with me living with him.

I decided to sell my house to Junko since he needed a new, and bigger spot. He took care of Neko since Shouta is now in prison for some crime. I didn't know the details, and I didn't want to know.

I sat down on the couch, and thought to myself. Maybe Yamada is depressed that his sister is in jail. Maybe he actually really likes her, and they were close. I had no idea.

I turned on the tv to see if there were any good shows playing, but there was none. I didn't want to snoop around Yamada's new house just yet. He'd only been released from the hospital a week ago, and he was still in the recovery process. Yamada's stubbornness gave him a early release. He told the nurses he couldn't stand the smell of the hospital. They decided to release him once he could walk again.

Yamada recovered most of the way, but his walk was still sloppy. He would lean around a lot, and lose balance, but he refused help from me. I let him be.

I looked at the black square clock located on the wall. It read 8:00 at night. I guess we skipped dinner. Yamada didn't eat much since he came back from the hospital. His hunger only consisted of water, and rice soup. I could see him losing weight quickly again. I didn't want to relive that horrifying memory.

I scurried to the kitchen, and pulled out a pastry book. There were different cake recipes in the pink book. I decided to make something simple since I wasn't much of a baker. A simple pound cake will do.

I fiddled with the ingredients until I finally produced my first pound cake. The shape was a bit distorted, but it was pretty good for a beginner. I took a knife, and cut a slice from it, and placed it on one of the white plates that was sitting in the cabinets along with a fork next to it. I grabbed a bottled water along with a napkin before I made my way upstairs to Yamada's room.

"Yamada guess who prepared his first pound cake!" I greeted happily. I saw him sitting in bed with a book. His face was buried super close to the book.

I placed the cake, napkin, and water down on the night table, and took the book away gently. "Yamada you shouldn't read so close." I flipped the switch to his lamp on. "Also turn on the light. It is bad for your eyes."

He looks blankly at the blanket on his legs. "Yeah I guess."

What was this man thinking? I sat down at the foot of the bed, and handed him the plate with the pound cake. "Look what I made for you. I know you haven't been eating well, so I figured something sweet might make you feel better."

I never knew if Yamada liked sweets. He never ate sweet things before that I could recall. I only saw him eating rice, salads, or those small dishes at those fancy restaurants that clearly could not fulfill one's appetite. He always declined desserts. Was making a pound cake a bad idea?