Chapter 29: Lifestyle

"Daddy can I get this doll?" My daughter Asami tugs on my pants.

I bent down to take a look at the doll. Today I did promise her that I would buy her one toy since she did well on her grade one exam.

I took the doll in my hand. A typical blonde Barbie type of doll. I nodded, and she squeals in happiness.

"Thank you daddy! You make me the happiest six year old there ever is!" She jumps around.

"Shhh Asami, we are in the store." I patted her back, and she settles.

"Sorry daddy." She blushes.

"It's okay sweetheart." I rubbed her hair, and took the doll to go pay for it.

After I paid, I handed Asami the bag, and she hugs it close to her chest.

I am a happy father, but something in me felt unsettling. I always felt I wasn't good enough. I didn't know why.

I came home, and Megumi was preparing lunch. "How are my two most favorite people?" She says happily.

"Mommy! Daddy bought me this doll. This one is cool look!" She points to the doll. "She can change hair color in cold water!" She runs to the sink.

"Okay let mommy get you some cold water." Megumi fills up a bowl with cold tap water, and hands it to Asami. Asami went to the kitchen table to play with her new doll.

I went up to kiss my wife, and settle down the groceries I had bought before I went to the toy store.

"Honey, there was a phone call for you." Megumi points to a slip of paper on the counter. I took the slip, and saw the familiar number. My old workplace.

It has been nearly eleven years now since I've laid a foot in Japan. What could they want? I took the slip, and went upstairs to the bathroom to dial the number.

The phone rang for a total of five rings before a woman answered. "Hello, Raine Co.? How may I help you?"

"This is Kyou Kusaka, I've gotten a call from you guys."

"Oh Mr. Kusaka. One moment please."

I waited a minute or two before someone got back on the line. "Hello, Kyou?"

I knew the voice. "Hey Shouta." I said.

"I know this is quite sudden, but I am having a party for the company's 40th anniversary. I am well aware you were part of the cooperation as well as many former workers. We are having a reunion if you wanted to come."

"I don't think so. I'm sorry." I hung up before he could say more. I knew my actions were rude, but I had no intentions of being in Japan just yet.

"Kyou..." Megumi says. I heard her on the other side of the door. I opened it slowly, and saw her standing there.

"Yes?"

"Are you going to the party?"

"No."

"You should." Her face was sad. I didn't know why.

"Why?"

"My mother is sick in Japan. I was planning to visit. Why don't we all just go?" She smiles weakly.

"Alright. I got to notify my bos-"

"No." She interrupts. She places her hand on mine. "I want to move back to Japan."

"What...?"

"I know you came here to escape, but my mother is my whole world. I know I don't talk about her or my family much. I always act as if they were dead because they separated, and left me be, but the longer I live, the more I realize how selfish I am." She frowns. "My mother is getting older, and it is my job to protect her. I know your family is here. Mine isn't. I sometimes get homesick."