The Purpose Behind Fasting

The purpose behind fasting isn't to show off nor is it a transaction deal with God. We don't fast to earn Christian good points or to say "Because I fasted, give what I want!"

The purpose of fasting is not this. Fasting is humility, it's surrender and dependency on God. When we fast, we humble ourselves and surrender. We temporarily let go of what our body needs to focus on our spiritual growth.

Just like our body needs food and water. Our spirit needs the word of God and intimacy with God. We let go of what our body needs temporarily and use that time to rather focus on our spiritual growth.

It's a moment where we say no to our flesh and yes to our spiritual needs. It's a moment of sacrifice.

If you fast but rather focus on watching the clock or watching shows and movies that don't add to your spiritual growth during your time of fasting. You're not fasting, you're either doing a hunger strike or under starvation. Fasting is praying and seeking God.

I know many of us can be at school, work or just busy but it doesn't count as fasting if, during your time of fasting, you barely prayed or even touched the word of God.

What my father would do because he has work, in between his time off work he would take 10-minute breaks to pray,  meditate on the word etc

So though he was busy, he still makes time to read the word and pray because he was fasting.

Fasting is not torture where you're crying and thinking about food. It's a time when you let go of what you want fleshly and go after what your spirit desires which is God and more of Him. Where instead of that snack you desire, when you feel that hunger you go to God and let Him fill you.

Fasting is the opportunity to do good. Serve others, give to the poor the food you know you can't eat, help others, pray, worship and read the word during your time of fasting.

So I want to encourage you that when you fast, disconnect from the world a little and instead use that time you would usually use to scroll on social media, watch a movie or go out to rather pray, worship etc. When you catch yourself scrolling or getting distracted, remember you're fasting and your focus is on the Lord. Avoid conflicts or situations where the enemy can tempt you to sin or go outside of God's will for your life. Ask God for Him to give you a heart of humility and that He destroys every agenda of the kingdom of darkness to stop you from completing your fast. Pray that God gives you the grace to not only start but complete your fast. That He sees your sacrifice and answers you.

I pray over all of you who are deciding to fast. May God give you the grace to fast. May God help you overcome temptation and keep ongoing. May He visit you and may you grow in sensibility to His spirit. May His grace overflow during this time.  I believe in my faithful God who will do more than I asked and could have imagined. I believe God will answer every open heart and burning soul that seeks Him with all its heart.

-etty