Some Reasons Why You May Not Feel Close To God

There are many reasons why we might feel close to God.

1) Distractions

Someone once said that God won't disturb a busy mind. If you're telling God you want to be closer to Him but spend 2 hours straight doing random things like watching vids, watching movies, scrolling through social media, or doing anything else then you're not being serious. We can't expect to feel close to someone we barely spend time with. You need to spend time with someone, time in communication, and building that relationship to start growing closer to the person.

That's why fasting is very powerful. Not just with food but social media fasting, fasting from your TV. When you choose to fast, it's you telling God whatever you're fasting from is less important than spending time with Him.

The usual time you would be listening to random music, now you replace it with worship. The usual time you would be scrolling through social media, reading books that aren't edifying you, or watching your favorite series, you replace that time with God. The time you would usually use to eat, you now use that time to read the Bible and get to know God.

Instead of doing all these other distractions you choose to seek God. Instead of watching funny videos for 30 minutes straight, you instead dedicate that time to praying and talking to God. You speak to God as your Father, closest friend, and everything. You pour your heart out to Him and also seek to hear from Him.

2) Sin

Sin separates us from God. God cannot be where sin is. When we are in sin, it can cause us to feel further from God. When God is convicting us and we ignore His conviction that's how we draw further from Him. If you're living a lifestyle contrary to the word, disobeying God, or sinning constantly you won't feel close to God because you're pushing Him further and further away.

This doesn't mean you are perfect but that your life is a life of love for God. Jesus says if we love Him, we will obey His commandments. We seek to walk in that obedience and seek to please God in all we do, when we do stumble and fall into sin, we are quick to repent and turn away.

But these things can hinder us from feeling closer to God. We need to also keep in mind not to focus a lot on feelings, our feelings can deceive us. For example, if we are in a waiting season, we can feel like God is far because His not answering our prayers in our timing or not doing what we want. So focusing on feelings can be deceptive because we all go through seasons when God can appear to be far.

But if you desire more of God and desire to draw closer to Him. I want to encourage you to keep seeking God. Ask Him to reveal to you everything that's hindering you from drawing to you. If He reveals its distractions or if you feel right now that maybe you don't spend much time in prayer, reading the word, worship, etc it's time to seek Him now. Dedicate a week, 2 weeks, or even a month away from distractions.

If you see that maybe it's also sin, repent from sin and decide to from now on live a life according to what God calls us. Desire to live to please Him because His plan for us is the best one. His commands might feel annoying (to our flesh!!) but it's there for our good.

If you decide to fast, I want to challenge you, to separate yourself from distraction. Instead of watching random videos or posts, I want you to start following Christian influencers. Subscribe to Christian YouTubers, watch sermons, read blogs on growing in your faith, and listen to podcasts. Something I do is listen to worship and edifying podcasts while I'm washing the dishes or doing chores. Even while doing any activity, decide to play something that draws you closer to God. Whenever you work, play worship or worship instrumental.

These little things we do to read the word of God, spend time in prayer, and listen to things that grow our faith will help us draw closer to God.

-etty