Chapter 27: Poison

At the end of the year of 844, around the time of the winter feast, the science team at the Marley HQ made a break through with the bio-weapon. The samples that were taken from Zeke's spinal fluid were successfully integrated into liquid and gas, due to the highly concentrated fluid only one drop was enough to Titanize a big city. At the day of the winter feast, Rosanna presented this lethal weapon for the board of generals.

"So, in conclusion, once the fluid is injected and bonded into the resin it can survive any type of heat, that is why gas attacks will be possible as long distant combat in the following military campaigns." Rosanna explained, pointing out the drawings of steam, cells and human anatomy. She felt uncomfortable, speaking so openly about the weapon that was going to exterminate the people of her race. Yet having the full attention of the most powerful men of Marley, was quite an ego boost. "Very well, black bird." General Calvi hummed, "Your doctor has far exceeded our expectations, general." A sergeant said, looking at Rosanna with a smug look on his face. "I never thought such a young, bird of paradise would succeed." Rosanna raised an eyebrow at the sergeant's unprofessional flirtatious remark, she tried to keep her professional smile on below her deathly glare, she saw Zeke in her peripheral vision do the same and clear his throat. Calvi noticed Zeke's souring demeanour and nodded at him. "You may speak, Yeager." Zeke stepped forward, "Although, I understand the sergeant's opinion on our fellow young recruit, I must say that Blackbird's talents are incredible and only seen in the most intelligent people in our corporation." He looked at Rosanna, "And she is the most devoted to our country." Rosanna supressed a smile, "Well, that is wildly exaggerated." She thought to herself. "The best way to experiment with the serum is to use it in an offense on a city with a neighbouring town. In that way you can use the gas and the serum effectively." Rosanna explained, "As in an offensive from outside and a non-disclosable offense from inside?" A sergeant informed, Rosanna nodded, "Exactly so." She replied. General Calvi stretched his arms and sat back in his chair, "Very well, black bird. Your plan is a go, you're dismissed, but await being called in. The process will be quick from here. "Thank you, sir." Rosanna saluted the higher ups and greeted them as they left the room.

Zeke stayed behind with her, brewing a pot of coffee while she gathered her papers and washed the chalk of the board. "You did well, Rosie. You impressed them." Zeke said pouring coffee in a cup. Rosanna hummed absently, closing the blackboard and packing her bag. Zeke walked over to her and handed her a cup of coffee, "You don't have to worry about going on that mission, you can stick with me." Rosanna smiled and took the coffee, sipping it carefully. "What is wrong? You seem uneasy." He asked sternly, tilting his head. "I don't want to use citizens for the experiments." She clutched her cup, "I probably won't have a choice. But... our people do not deserve to be subjected to this experiment." Zeke frowned concerned, "This is out of your control." He said, a teacher like tone in his voice, "But I can try and put a word in." he sipped his coffee, "Probably criminals will be used... to get rid of the filth, you see.", he said, in a poor attempt to calm her nerves. Rosanna shivered at the sadistic statement, having forgotten that the Eldians were mere rats then people to the Marleyans. "Very well." She whispered. "You did your job, Bauer." Zeke reassured her, "I'll take it from here."

Rosanna left her coffee to go cold to go to the hospital, she had promised to do her rounds for her uncle after she had gotten out of her meeting, he had been ill that morning. She took her bag with medicine and statoscope from her personal locker and went into the red-light district. A lot of women were outside, clearing the snow and ice off of the stairs and trying to wash clothing in the freezing weather of the small stream that ran alongside the staircase. The condition of the district was failing, the houses did not have electricity anymore and the open stream of water was sensitive too waste. Rosanna dropped off some medication at a new mother's house and did a check up on her new born before heading to the top of the district. Sabrina was sweeping the steps outside of her little house, her toddler tied onto her back. "Sabri!" Rosanna called out. Sabrina looked up, smiled and waved, she put her broom aside and walked to Rosanna to greet her. The two women embraced while Sabrina's heavily pregnant stomach kept them apart from a tight embrace.