Chapter 43: Mock fight

Rosanna was sent up Wall Maria after finishing some journals about the travel back to the island and the continuation of the mission. Her bag of belonging was heavy on her shoulder, but when it was swung over her shoulder it was bearable. Bertholdt was concerned and repeatedly asked if she was okay. She hushed him politely and told him she was fine, "Why was he so nervous?" she thought as she dumped her bag on the ground and started unpacking, setting up a fireplace for boiling some water for coffee. "Where are Reiner and Zeke?" she asked, turning to face Bertholdt, the boy anxiously pointed at a clearing in the middle of the town of Shinganshina. "Wha?" Rosanna mumbled, standing up and looking at where Bertholdt was pointing. "What are they doing?" she asked in a monotone, authoritarian voice. "I am making tea..." she mumbled, she walked up and down the wall trying to catch a glimpse of the two blonde men. She could recognize Reiner's passionate way of gesturing as he talked, he was trying to persuade Zeke to agree with him. Zeke kept his body language aloof and cold, shaking no repeatedly. The older man opened his hands with his palms towards Reiner, he turned and started to walk back to the wall. That gesture had always meant, "End of conversation." Or "You don't convince me." For Zeke. Rosanna sighed, and turned back to her bags, she had just taken out the kettle when she heard the sound and then felt the heat of a titan transforming. Bertholdt had to take a steady stance and attempted to block out the wind from Rosanna by crouching in front of her. "Now what?" Rosanna asked, she crawled up the wall, staring at the back of Zeke's titan. "Oh no... You morons." She hissed at the two men and she asked Berthold to bring her to the clearing.

Reiner stared hatefully at the Beast titan; the ape that sat crouched on the ground ready to engage with him if Reiner chose it. Reiner had threatened with the possible wrath of the brass if Zeke and company did not return with Annie in tow. The boy looked up when he saw Bertholdt and Rosanna sail down from the wall. "Miss Bauer, please let me settle this with the war chief... we need to return with Annie..." he explained quickly and chagrined. Rosanna sighed and marched up to him, cuffed him on the ear. The boy took it, rubbed his face and glared at her, "You have no idea what you are getting yourself into, Braun." This was the first time she had addressed him by his last name in a long time. "You are way out of your depth if you decide to fight the war chief. Zeke will do anything in his power to pummel you back in line..." she cast her eyes down, remembering the fight between her and Zeke. "So, please... think this through, you big oaf." Reiner watched as the woman cast her eyes down. "Wait..." Reiner huffed; Rosanna looked up. "Just accept that Annie will not return." She turned to face Zeke and the wall. "She is not dead...maybe held captive... I just hope they let her practice her kicks." she felt a tear sting in her eye, Bertholdt seemed to visibly shrink as he heard these words. She breathed deeply, turning back to Reiner. "Please, just... come home with us...Reiner." Reiner noticed the reddening whites of her eyes. He was taken aback by it all. Why was she desperate to keep in line? Siding with Zeke while the two usually bickered about the smallest things? In an instant, all the pieces came together. He sturdily placed his hands on Rosanna's and Bertholdt's shoulders. "I am sorry. But... I will not leave his god forsaken island without Annie." He gently pushed the two aside. "Let's do it, Chief!" Bertholdt had to unfreeze from his stature and grabbed Rosanna's hand, dragging her back to the wall to the wall. "He is sure taking his shot..." Rosanna groaned as she landed back on the wall and sat down to watch the fight. "He is never going to win..." Bertholdt huffed, sitting down next to her. "No... No. he won't."

Rosanna sat cross-legged on the ground, her elbows on her knees and her palms on her face. Reiner sat next to her, sipping his coffee and pressing a damp cloth to a wound and the scarring on his face. Rosanna swished the coffee in her mug, looking out over the now even more destructed town of Shinganshina. Reiner peeked at her, trying to gauge her mood. She sure seemed to pissed, but her absent demeanour was hard to conclude that. He took another sip of his drink, feeling the last of the scarring absolve. "I am sorry I hit you..." Rosanna mumbled, scratching her mess of black hair. Reiner was caught off guard, "Oh... don't worry... I am okay..." he tried to reassure her. Rosanna sighed and turned towards him; Reiner followed her example. They were now sitting across from each other. "Now we have broken the ice..." Reiner began, "Why are you so eager to follow Zeke?" he asked. Rosanna stared at the horizon, then she looked at Zeke who sat further up the wall. He seemed to be cooling off after the fight. She thought for a second, "Because I am a coward..." she mumbled. "Zeke is like my guillotine. If he even suspects me of deserting again or even slightly rocking the boat. I'll be done for. Me and my family." She explained. She looked at Reiner, "They pretty much put me on a death row free leave." She finished her coffee. Now Reiner looked at the horizon. "You're right..." Reiner mumbled. Rosanna looked at him, slightly surprised. She relaxed when she saw him smile, "Let's all go home..." he grinned at her, reassuring her. Rosanna nodded determined, "Let's."