Chapter 33: Gone For One Year

TW///MENTION OF SUICIDE

The East, 848

Rosanna had had dreams about leaving Marley. Doing what you want, saying what you want, standing and going where you want. But ever since she passed the tree-line that day, that dream became reality. A harsh and beautiful reality. For the first six months she lived in the wilderness, from the hunt and foraging. She found nomads that had fled one of the big cities during the war and she joined them, helping two pregnant women through their last stages and through the birth of their child. These people fed her, taught her their language and told her about their faith. The goddess Ymir had been a very young concept that had only taken hold of the people in the past 50 years. Before that and still now, they believed in two goddesses Gyella and Norella. Two twin-sisters and representatives of life and death. Rosanna felt refreshed that she was not crazy to believe in anything else then the awful stories of the Eldian empire that she had be crushed with since childhood. As the months passed by, she forgot all about Marley, all about her honor as a doctor. She only remembered her aunt... the woman must've been thinking of her only child, lying dead somewhere in a field or river. She cried herself to sleep whenever she thought about this. But... she presumed her aunt was happy in the south with her sister.

As she traveled with these nomads, she took on their ways. Leaving her hair to grow out long, wearing it loose and exchanging her dimly colored, uniform like clothing for colorful trousers, tunics and dresses. For years her hair had been in a straight bun or a ponytail, damaging her hair out of its natural form. Her hair had presumably taken on the same shape as her mother's had been, dense and wavy, with a blue sheen whenever she was standing in sunlight. After travelling with her new found friends for 4 months the large group came upon a forked road. The group of travelers were going east to mine for gold and mineral to sell, Rosanna wanted to explore a city in the west. The group and Rosanna said their goodbye's, telling the presumed refugee to be careful in the city. Some individuals might react badly to someone who fled occupied land. Rosanna gifted them some of her medicines and a small booklet that she had kept. In the booklet contained first aid instructions and a personal note of thanks. The group leader and his wife treasured it and told her she could come back anytime. Tearfully Rosanna waved goodbye as she walked onto the new path.

She came upon the city; it was quite large and enclosed a wooden gate and wooden fence panels. But there were workmen working on the wall to cement and brick it. They had heard the stories of the enemy laying waste to the big cities. A guard stopped Rosanna at the main gate, he was suspicious of the young stranger. "You got any legislation?" he asked, Rosanna thought of her Eldian identity card. That would sell her out. She shook her head, "I am a refugee from the big cities." She said, trying to filter out her accent as well as she could. "I am come to work; I am a doctor." The man raised an eyebrow at this, before scoffing. "Such a pipsqueak... a doctor?" he chuckled. Rosanna looked at the man, taking in his facial features. He smoked pipe regularly, he had split between his bottom team. "It got passed down by my parents." She smiled, "A gift by Gyella." At hearing the name of the holy woman, the man's sardonic expression dropped. "You worship the old gods?" Rosanna shrugged, "I respect them." She said, looking around. "No work around here, then?" she asked innocently. The man shook his hand, "No, with this war waging on we will need all the help we can get." He looked up at his other guard on the wall. "Open the gate! We have a refugee!" Rosanna pulled her backpack better onto her back and started to walk. "Head to the pension, it's next to the baker." The guard said, giving her a small smile. The gate closed behind her with a loud thud, hopeful Rosanna walked through the town. There was quite a lot of racket, there was a market going on, but the offering prices were high and the assortment low. The farmer district had been hassling to keep any of their harvest and animals since the cities were in such peril. Rosanna felt sad to see the effects of war, even so far away from the front. Rosanna caught some odd looks, she looked like a woman from the eastern side of the district, but she was tall and muscular which was a result of her Marleyan-Eldian heritage and years of hard work and training. Rosanna succeeded to get a cot at the pension. Some other refugees were already there, and they exchanged stories. Rosanna told them how she became a doctor while she played with one of the toddlers that had been taken up north to hide from the violence. "Are you staying long?" one of the refugees asked. Rosanna thought for a moment, before nodding, "As long as I can..."

Marley, 848

It was an awful rainy day in Rebellio, Zeke's work had crawled on for weeks. Organization, training, meetings. It had all become a grey area. The military had taken in the eastern-east territories, but the big campaign from one year ago had taken the wind out of their sails. New soldiers had to be recruited and trained, it all cost money and time. "Dull..." Zeke sighed as he threw down his pen, he rummaged in his pockets, looking for his cigarettes. He put one between his teeth and lit it, inhaling deeply, he peeked outside, still raining. He took another drag of his cigarette and stood up to walk around a bit. Scratching the peach fuzz growing on his chin and cheeks. He looked at his bookcase, his eye fell on the Black Book. Zeke had been the one to find it laying on Rosanna's desk, next to her personal journal. He had been shocked to read the suicide note... but after sending a squad of soldiers out to look for a body. He started to doubt. "You were not suicidal... you were raving mad..." he thought to himself before smirking, "You always could get so furious, I thought you'd light me up and explode." He pushed the memory of his peer out of his mind. He opened up the bookcase to grab the book, he had enclosed the note inside. He read it over again, he now noticed a print of possible stain on it. Water? Or a tear? "Your auntie was so sad, stupid brat." He cursed her. he sat down at his desk again, finishing his cigarette. "I'll go and check up on her for you." He said, and he stood up to leave.

Aunt Bauer had been hanging laundry when a soldier and Mr. Yaeger came to visit the farm with a black envelope and a booklet. She greeted Zeke happily before spotting the envelope and booklet he clutched in his hand. "Miss Bauer..." he started, handing her the envelope. Letting the words on the letter speak for themselves. Miss Bauer responded by a visible quiver going down her spine, her sister who had spotted Zeke ran out of the house. As soon as she reached them, her sister was a crying heap, she whisked her sister inside and invited Mr. Yeager for tea. Through the tears of her aunt, Zeke had tried to explain the good her only daughter had done. But... all there was, was the grief of a childless mother.

The family had been down in the dumps for over a whole year, he hoped too at least see some improvement so he could ask them about Rosanna. He doubted her death and disappearance, maybe she had been taken hostage and the Marleyan army simply hadn't noticed. But that also was a far reached story, she was loved among the hospital squad and titan squad. He knocked on the door. Her heard a small dog barking and scratching the door post before being called away sternly. Miss Bauer's sister opened up, the two women looked extremely similar, same shape of the mouth, teeth, nose and eyes. Only the look in their eyes was different. "Mr. Yeager! Come in!" She greeted him warmly and pointed at the sitting room. The little dog stared up at Zeke, wagging his tail profusely hoping for some pets. From the sitting room there was scuffling, Rosanna's aunt had heard Zeke's footsteps and went to greet him. "Zeke, thank you for coming." She said, showing him them most comfortable seat in the room. Her sister ran off to make some more tea. "How have you been?" he asked as soon as he situated himself. Aunt Bauer nodded, putting down her teacup. "I've been doing better. Thank you, just... the reality of it all has finally come onto me... that Rosanna is dead. Or... fatally wounded for the rest of her life." Zeke nodded before tilting his head slightly, "You doubt that her attempt wasn't successful?" he asked. Miss Bauer nodded, "Suicide is a tricky business, sometimes they are successful and the person dies. But when they fail it can do heavy damage to a person for life." She frowned, "And I am certain I taught Rosanna such." She murmured.

The two talked about the city and life over a cup of tea, they reminisced about Zeke's childhood and how he had changed as he grew. When the hours ticked by and it became dark outside, Zeke decided to thank the family for their hospitality and go back to his office. "Come by anytime you like." Miss Bauer offered, "Thank you." Zeke said stepping outside and looked at the clear sky, it would be a cold walk home, maybe he could catch a ride back. Before he turned to walk away, he turned back to the house one last time. "Before I forget, I wanted to ask you one last thing." Miss Bauer looked curious and tilted her head slightly. "If Rosanna had indeed survived her attempt, she probably would've been found by refugees or farmers. If so, what should she have done next? If she had not been handicapped by her choice?" he asked, trying to keep his tone gentle. Aunt Bauer shrugged, "She would... probably go to a farm somewhere... or a large city... in any case she would be around... but even so, the chance that she is dead or dying from complications are more likely than her survival." She looked sad again, a lonesome tear streaming down her cheek. "I wish your grandparents the best." Zeke nodded and smiled his one-sided smile. "I'll tell them." He said and walked off. As he reached the half way point to town, he was done thinking.

"You're alive out there... aren't you? You infamous scamp..."