Chapter 32: Past the Treeline

TW///Mention of Suicidal thoughts/attempt/note and some light gore//BE CAUTIOUS

"My sweet girl, I am sorry but, I have a confession to make.

ever since you left to go fight at the front, the house has been awfully quiet. I miss you so much. And, I have noticed that I have become isolated. Our neighbours are the kindest, but... they do not provide me with a familial bond. When you return... the house will be empty, except for the necessary furniture. The house is yours. As a grown woman of 19 that must be an incredible development, especially now you have Oscar in your life.

I love you so much my dear, I will come find you when you land back on the shore of the continent. I am excited to hear all about your adventures. You can visit me and your aunt anytime you want in the south, we will decorate a room especially for you.

Take care my sweet girl, and I hope you can understand my choice

Your auntie

Written by Mrs Bauer, November, January, Year 447. Found next to the journal of Rosanna Bauer, the night of her alleged suicide attempt.

Rosanna huffed as she started pulling Pieck's body from her titan. Pieck's titan form was immensely durable and strong, but taking the shifter out had always been a menace. One of the panzer gunmen jumped up to help the doctor to get Pieck out. "Careful, her arms can rip off. Grab her feet." Rosanna ordered while she sliced into the pink flesh and pulled apart the muscles of the nape. With gloved hands Rosanna pulled the flesh away from Pieck's face, she had been completely encapsuled, becoming bipedal again would become difficult in the coming weeks. "Come on, Pieck." Rosanna encouraged the girl, suddenly steam burst from the titan's nape and Rosanna could pull Pieck out. The girl huffed and blinked against the harsh winter sun. Rosanna immediately blocked the sun, not knowing if it would hurt Pieck. "Make some room!" She said to crowd that had gathered around, she picked the girl up and carried her to the truck that was reserved for the wounded. She would still have to drive around and pick up other injured casualties. But first Pieck had be comfortable. Rosanna drove to the rest camp that was being built on the outskirts of the city. Farmers were coming into the camp to deliver calculated amounts of cattle; the city had capitulated that very morning and the rightful part of Marley was being confiscated. Most of the cattle would be slaughtered and cooked for the big evening meal that night. Rosanna stayed with Pieck, cooling down the steaming scars and the wounds. Telling the girl that the war was over, that they were going home in a month. Pieck listened to it with a small smile, before falling asleep. As soon as Pieck slept deeply Rosanna went back to her the hospital tent to finish off her black book.

1000 injured, 3000 Eldian deaths, 1500 Marleyan deaths. The Marleyan army had been like a force of nature for the past two years. Ploughing through the eastern state like nothing. Rosanna looked at her aunt's letter she had read that morning. She sighed deeply, a deep sense of desperation and depression sinking into her brain. She rested her head on her arms. Coming back home would be a pain. No aunt, no Oscar. Rosanna felt tears sting at the thought of such loneliness. She could sell the house and move south... but she would have to go through a whole process with the brass to get permission. She shook her head, wiping her eyes. She decided to step outside, she walked around camp. Being greeted by soldier who had helped, they thanked her and wished her the best. The camp was rowdy, people were cooking and drinking. One burly squad commander called out to her and shoved a cup of beer in her hand. Rosanna grinned and took a big sip before sitting down between two of the doctor's she worked with. Trays of cooked meat were passed around and people ate heartily, Rosanna was called over to a soldier whose stitches had ripped out by laughing too hard. "Are they letting us off for the evening?" Rosanna asked as she re-did the stitching, the young soldier smiled and gritted his teeth as she worked. "Well, you guys deserve it!" she said, smiling at the soldiers. "You worked so hard!" the soldiers laughed and answered with a tirade of gratitude. More beer was passed around and Rosanna chugged it when challenged by a nurse. The group became more and more rowdy as the beer kegs became emptier. Rosanna reserved herself in a corner to finish some meat and was called up again for a soldier who was ailing from the wound fever. She gave him the last of the south camps morphine and shushed him, telling him he was going to be home in a month. He looked elated when she told him that. Rosanna walked out again, being stopped by a drunk soldier who was in tears, recalling her brave feat with the bolas. Rosanna laughed and patted them on the soldier, she thanked them and walked off to check on Pieck. The girl was sat in a circle with the panzer unit, she waved at Rosanna. "Good evening." Rosanna said smiling at everyone, people immediately made room for her. She sat down next to Pieck and was handed a cup of mulled wine. She looked around the fire, "If only we could live like this every day. Comradery to its fullest." She thought to herself, she looked up when she saw two harsh shadows walk past, she was greeted by the filthy look of an Marleyan soldier. "That is why we cannot live like this..." she concluded once again. She sighed deeply, taking a big sip of her wine before jumping when she felt a poke in her side. "You're worried..." Pieck whispered. Her big grey eyes shimmering in the light of the bonfire. Rosanna ruffled the girl's hair, "I am just a little tired, Piecky. I am a light weight after all." She tried to reassure the girl. Pieck frowned. "I'll get us some blankets, it's getting cold." Rosanna said before standing up. Pieck watched with a little wise smile as she saw her friend walk off.

Night came and Rosanna and Pieck slept by the bonfire, wrapped in two blankets each. Pieck slept soundly at Rosanna's left side. The panzer unit had gone off to celebrate with the men that were still singing and yelling in the distance. Rosanna looked up to the sky, counting the stars she could see, she connected them with imaginary lines. She spotted the Ursa Minor, the little bear constellation. She sighed deeply, did Reiner and Bert also see this constellation when they looked up at night? She grinned; Annie never had an eye for stars. She would be a menace to Reiner if he mentioned it. She chuckled. What about Marcel? Porco misses him. She stretched her arms, slightly nudging Pieck who mumbled and stirred in her sleep. Rosanna closed her eyes for a bit, trying to sleep. She stirred in her sleep when she heard rustling and the faintness of footsteps. She lifted her head and saw Zeke sit across the fire. "Hey..." she mumbled, propping herself up on her elbow. She noticed a jacket that he had laid out over Pieck and her. "It's cold, why don't you sleep inside?" he asked, sipping his drink. "It's comfortable by the fire. And I've seen the inside of my tent plenty to be honest." Rosanna answered. He half smiled at her, "Did you have a drink yet?" he asked, Rosanna nodded, "Plenty... since when do you drink? I thought you were a dry guy?" she smirked. Zeke huffed sipping his drink again. "You looking forward to going home?" He asked. Rosanna nodded slowly, "Yeah...it'll be good to go back." She said, "How about you? Your grandparents must've missed you." She observed. Zeke shrugged, "It'll be only for a short time. We still have some small territories to take in." he informed her. Rosanna nodded before standing up, covering Pieck in one of her blankets and Zeke's coat. She sat down by the fire, throwing some wood on it and poking the hot coals. "Have you thought about my offer?" Zeke asked. Rosanna looked at him through her eyelashes, "I haven't..." she said matter of fact. Zeke sighed and finished his drink, "That's a shame. You could've had what you wanted." Rosanna felt irritation spark in her belly, she peeked back at Pieck, she was fast asleep. "I don't want anything..." Rosanna denied. Zeke scoffed, "That's ridiculous... You and your free ideas." He ridiculed her. "You even a believe a fairy tale like the Goddess Eos." Rosanna had an awful snarl of her face, "It's an ideal not a fairy-tale, like your whole Goddess Ymir schtick. And look where that brought us!" she gritted her teeth and hopped onto her feet to walk away. Zeke jumped up and caught her wrist, "Rosanna please, I didn't mean to offend." Rosanna scoffed and ripped her wrist away from his grasp. "I don't care, Yeager..." she huffed and continued to walk away. Zeke sighed and pursued her again, "You don't understand, if you help me, you can believe anything you want... you can be anyone you want." Rosanna felt tears sting, "I am who I want to be!" she cried out. An awfully quiet pause followed, "I don't need you to help me with that! I will not make sham out of my mother! Like you have made a sham of my father! You ape!" she went on. Zeke listened to his raving childhood rival with a calm yet serious face. "If this is about your parents, Rosanna, I understand... I have been there." He said calmly. Rosanna paused; a tear trickled down her cheek. "It's not... about my... Parents!" Rosanna screamed, pushing her wait back and flailing a punch at Zeke. Zeke gritted his teeth when her fist made impact with his temple, his ears rang for a bit before he apprehended both her arms. He hushed her, "Please don't punch me. It'll only endanger you." Rosanna was weeping softly now, pulling at the grip Zeke held on her arms. The man gently let go of one of her hands, it fell too her side like she had no muscles. With his free hand he gently patted her hair. "I am sorry..." he whispered, and somewhere he did mean it, but for what he could not pinpoint. Rosanna was numb, she pressed her forehead against Zeke's shoulder. They stood there, their rivalry burned out and a light tenderness was left. Zeke strangely found himself feeling comfortable, even though he still was slightly restraining Rosanna. Rosanna breathed deeply and peered over his shoulder to the sky. The constellation would never change and neither would this war between slaves and kings. She sniffled and pushed herself away from Zeke's shoulder, she had to leave... She gently pushed Zeke away from her and walked back to camp. Leaving Zeke behind again, he kept wondering why This Girl, yearning for freedom would not grasp it with both hands when offered on a silver plate. He slowly walked away, making a mental note, "Keep her in mind."

After sleeping lightly Rosanna got up again. She cried as she packed her most precious documents and clothes, in her journal she wrote a farewell letter, entailing her suicidal thoughts and attempt. She ushered for the finder not to come find her to avoid traumatizing them. She finished the letter by writing, "Tell my aunt, that I love her, no matter where I am." By now the dawn was yearning to return and Rosanna, dressed in her everyday clothes and a long coat, made her way out of the camp. Across the improvised grave yard, and into the treeline. She looked back as she leaned against a tree. "Farewell..." she whispered, turning her back on her past.

Her new future was ahead of her... or so she thought.