Chapter 2: Devoting

"Devoting"

"The oddest thing happened today, my niece. Today you met the child that sold out your parents to the state of Marley. You seemed oblivious to it of course. He is nothing but a peer to you, someone you play ball with. But this little blonde boy, shook the nation. Tore apart families and lives. Innocent lives. Or well, innocent in the eyes of a man not living in the state of Marley, or one of the countries occupied by the nation. I am sorry this boy took your father away from you, your last and only parent. Your only, since I still haven't figured out who on earth your mother could be. Since no woman in Liberio has even close to the features you have, Rosie. We will see, in time. But promise me, my dear niece. Stay out of that Jaeger's kid way.

Entry by Mr. Bauer written in 832

From his personal diary, "My dear Rosie"

It was a pretty summer afternoon when Mrs. Bauer went on her regular walk to the market. Behind her, Rosanna swiftly followed. Her aunt had exchanged her ugly khaki rags for a sweet dark green dress, with a black jacket that buttoned in-front. The hems and sleeves of the dark green dress were decorated with fine black stitching's. She wore simple brown boots over black knee-socks that were also decorated with black stitching.

Her hair was neatly washed, cut, combed and braided. And was decorated by two long green and gold-thread ribbons. The ribbons swayed back and forth with every step the little girl took, Rosanna loved them.

Her aunt was dressed in a flowy dark red skirt, a black button up blouse with a red cardigan on top. For shoes she wore, fancy looking black ankle boots over brown stockings. Her hair was braided and put in a bun on top of her head, over her hair she wore yellow and red head scarf. Many married women in the internment zone wore headscarves, as a sign of modesty and sometimes status. Women with a larger income wore more vibrant and lively colours, those with a smaller income wore primary colours, black or brown headscarves. Many of these colours grouped together at the busy market place.

Farmers dragged along their cattle and neatly organised their produce. Fishermen shouted over the rummaging of the crowds, trying to sell their fresh catch. Rosanna was fascinated by a small corner on the edge of the market. It smelled delicious, sweet and savoury. Like pastries and foreign herbs and spices. These were the rare important goods that Marley would send for every once in a year. Although the Marleyans were hooked by these odd fruits, meats and spices. The Eldians, however found these tasted and products too eccentric, and stuck to their humble food sources. Aunt Bauer was getting some green produce when she noticed her niece was not at her side. "Rosanna?" she called out, she leaned over as she caught a glimpse of a strand of dark green ribbon. Rosanna broke her gaze away from a table full of exotic fruits, she ran away from the table and up to her aunt's side. "I'm here." She chirped. Aunt Bauer frowned sternly, "Don't run off so far, sweetie. I might not be able to find you." She gently fixing a loose strand of her Niece's hair. "It's fine, Ma'am." Rosanna replied, her face took over a stern expression. "I'll be able to find my way home." Aunt Bauer's stern expression broke and she smiled.

"Did you find anything interesting?" she asked her niece as they walked the length of the market. Rosanna nodded eagerly, "Yeah, there are these few stands that sell huge fruits. Oh, or well, the lady told me they are fruits..." Rosanna explained excitedly. "Did she tell you what they're called?" Aunt Bauer asked. Rosanna raised an eyebrow, "Citruses." Rosanna responded.

"Lemons or oranges?" Rosanna blinked surprised, "Oranges..." she said. "You know them?" she asked her aunt, grabbing the woman's hand. Aunt giggled, "Of course darling! I've seen quite a bit of world. Just like your uncle." Rosanna's eyes widened. "You travelled? Where?" her eyes twinkled. Aunt looked at the girl, surprised to see her eyes twinkle like that, "As a war nurse I sometimes travelled with the army to exotic places. I've seen quite a bit of south and north of this world." A melancholic smile played over Aunt Bauer's face. "I miss those days. Even though they were harsh." She thought to herself, she looked over at her niece. "We can get some oranges after we are done shopping, alright?" she said to the child. Rosanna smiled and nodded. "I would like that, Ma'am."