Chapter 21: The Yeomen

As soon as Rosanna was officially declared; she immediately was assigned a room in the Marleyan headquarters. Or well, a space in one of the officer's study rooms. The officer had felt charitable to accommodate an Eldian Doctor in his study. Now, Rosanna spend her days at the Marleyan headquarters, studying through the titan science books Xaver had left her and the Marleyan national Library offered her. She had exchanged her trainee outfit, existing out of shorts, a white blouse and a polo in the same shade; or the winter version, a long coat with trousers, the same white blouse and a jumper. A child copy of an adult warrior. Now she had to follow the dress code of the adult warriors and Eldian officers, her hair had to neatly combed and washed, put up in a tight ponytail or bun. For formal events, female nurses and officers were expected to wear a hairclip with the symbol of the Marleyan state.

For day to day wear, the dress code for women was a; pair of dress pants with a neat blouse, a sweater of cardigan and high brown boots. The dress pants sometimes were exchanged for a long skirt and boots for a simple, comfortable heel.

On this sort of same day, Rosanna sat at her desk, taking notes and repeating knowledge she had gone through with Xaver many times before. The cup of coffee she had gotten from one of the officer's yeomen had gone cold. She felt her tummy grumble, she lost interest in the pages in front of her; and started gazing out the window. She saw the yeomen sitting back on his desk, going through paperwork and making corrections here and there. Rosanna thought about the cafeteria on the third floor of this building, at around 12:30 every afternoon they doled out food to the officers. Hot, Marleyan cuisine, she salivated just by the thought of it. It always smelled amazing in the hallway of the cafeteria after the meal was served. She looked at the clock, almost time. Usually Rosanna would have to go outside to the market to fetch her lunch, but it was annoying since the guards did a full check every time; she came back to work again. They sure didn't like new faces. Rosanna let out a deep sigh before turning back to her study. She didn't even notice the gong for lunch time going off; rosanna quickly chugged her coffee before standing up and swinging her coat over her shoulders. She quickly ran down to the ground floor of the building, skittering into the lady's bathroom and finding an empty stall. Which wasn't very difficult to do, since there were very little women working throughout the weekdays. She quickly did her business and went to was her hands; she gazed at her reflection in the mirror, she was surprised at how mature she looked. With her hair up her facial features were more visible; her high cheek bones and round soft cheeks complimented each other. Her jawline was smooth but visible; she leaned forward, looking at her eyes. They were deep brown with a green core around the pupil, inside the green she saw spots and lines that looked goldish. She snapped out of her day dream when the door opened and a female secretary walked in. The woman greeted Rosanna with a curt nod before disappearing into a stall. Rosanna wettened her hands underneath the tap and raked her fingers through her hair; putting a few stray hairs back into place. After this she left the bathroom; hopping back up the stairs to her floor.

As Rosanna rounded the corner to her little office; she noticed a foil package on her workspace. She frowned and walked over to it, feeling nervous that some officer had left it there to pick up later. She carefully put it aside; turning back to her books, ignoring her grumbling tummy. About fifteen minutes later the lunch break; officers flood down the stairs back into their offices. The yeomen and officer return as well; the yeomen came in with a platter that held 3 cups of hot liquid. He looked confused when he still saw the sandwich on Rosanna's desk. He went over to officer, handing him his coffee; before going over to the young doctor. "You're not hungry?" he asked as he put the cup of coffee down, Rosanna broke from her concentration and looked over at the sandwich. "Yes, but it's not mine." She started. The yeomen nodded frantically, "Yes, it is, I got it for you." Rosanna's eyes widened, "Oh!" she exclaimed, carefully grabbing the tin foiled sandwich; unwrapping it and taking a bite. It was a cheese and chicken sandwich; it was marinated in green pesto and decorated with lettuce and tomato. Rosanna smiled widely at the taste, "Thank you so much. It is so kind of you to bring food to a simple Eldian." The yeomen smiled, sipping his coffee, "We are in the same boat." He pointed out his collar, it had the same symbol as the Eldian armband that Rosanna wore. Rosanna's eyes widened, "It's good to see another Eldian," she reached out her hand, "What is your name, sir?" the yeomen took her hand and shook it, "Martin Vaughn." "Rosanna Bauer," the Yeomen nodded releasing her hand. "I heard about you from Oscar Lambert, you are the new doctor of the titan department, right?" Rosanna nodded, feeling warm from the recognition she received. "I am, although I doubt; I will be put to work immediately. The higher officers are not convinced that my skillset and experience is enough for the upcoming conflicts." The yeomen pulled up a chair, sitting next to the girl, attentively listening to her.

Martin slyly shot a look over at his higher, Marleyan officer. He seemed blissfully ignorant of his subordinate chatting up the new addition to the Marleyan headquarters. Are was simply ignoring it so he could chew him out for it later. "Probably, yes." Martin responded. "But you surely will be put onto the battlefield with the warriors." He nervously scratched his nape, "Since, no other doctor dares to join a mission with titans." he frowned, immediately looked up at Rosanna, "They did tell you what happened to the last titan physician, right?" Rosanna hummed and nonchalantly sipped her coffee, "He was crushed..." she said coolly, Martin blinked at the tone of the young doctor. "Exactly." He uttered. "you don't seem too intimidated by that fact." Rosanna shrugged, "Accidents happen, don't they?"

That evening, an hour after dinner time. Rosanna sat in her room's windowsill; looking over the wide street and the block beyond her street. At her feet; her aunt had placed a neatly sliced apple and a cup of coffee. In her hand she loosely held a thin novel; containing a light story about the love story of a Marleyan couple. She lazily gazed out of her window; forgetting the world around her. A blissful peace filled her from the inside out. "ROSANNA!?"

Rosanna screeched and jumped; knocking over her tea and apple. Her book fell into the tea; staining the pages. "No need to jump, dear. It's just me." Her aunt said quickly as she walked into her room. "No need to yell; if you need me, either." Rosanna responded, still catching her breath. "What do you need?" was her follow up question. "I need a nurse; Mrs Braun is ready to pop." Rosanna raised an eyebrow at her aunt, "The older Mrs Braun? Pop?" she questioned. "The younger sister of Your Mrs Braun is ready to give birth." Aunt Bauer sighed rolling her eyes. She frowned at her niece; seeing she was hesitating. "Please dear, I really need your help." She asked in a smooth, soft voice. Rosanna exhaled deeply and got off of her windowsill; "Fine..." she huffed as she went to grab her coat. "You're an angel; thank you!"

Accompanied by a small lantern the two women made their way down the streets of Liberio. They passed from their comfortable neighbourhood; into the deeper streets of "Old Liberio" many of these buildings had existed for over a century and were home to the unemployed or families who were not related to the military.

At the end of the street Rosanna saw a man stand outside his house; he waved at Rosanna and her aunt. "You made it; thank god!" he exclaimed, stepping out of the doorway to let the women. Rosanna quickly greeted Mrs Braun who lay on the couch; her arm thrown over her eyes. Rosanna ran into the kitchen to wash her hands and arms; meanwhile Aunt Bauer chatted with Mr Braun. "She was cooking my lunch for tomorrow when her water broke." Mr Braun explained, "I am never cooking you lunch again!" Mrs Braun whined from the couch, Mr Braun cracked a smile and rolled his eyes. "Anyway, let me get a closer look at you, dear." Mrs Bauer said, smiling at the comically agitated mother-too-be. In the meantime; Rosanna ran to and from the bedroom; readying Mrs Bauer's childbed. "I am so sorry, Rosie-dear, I should be getting that ready." Rosanna smiled at her, "It is no problem, Ma'am, all part of my job." Aunt Bauer looked at her niece; "You aren't even paid..." she said, Rosanna laughed, peeking her head around the corner, "Not yet, I am not." Mrs Braun laughed until she was cut off by a heavy contraction.

An exhausting 8 hours of labour later; Mrs Braun gave birth to a beautiful girl. The child let out its first shrill cries; Aunt Bauer took the baby, cleared its eyes, nose and mouth of the mucus and wrapped it up in a clean towel. Rosanna scuffed around the room; collecting all the dirty laundry to wash them later. "Let me see my little girl..." Mrs Braun said; Aunt Bauer carefully handed the mother her child and went to wash her hands. Rosanna walked back into the bedroom, closely followed by Mr Braun. The new father gazed at his wife holding his daughter; Rosanna stood at their dresser, folding fresh linen, looking at them through the mirror. "What is her name?" she asked. "Well, we both really like the name Gabi. Like my grandmother." Mrs Braun explained. "Gabi..." Rosanna murmured to herself, she looked at the small round face of the baby and at the small spikey dark blonde hairs. "That is very cute." She confirmed the couple. She imagined the young girl as a toddler; Her blonde hair would darken and become the same shade as her mother's. "Gabi Braun..." Rosanna whispered to herself. She would wear cute dresses and her hair in pigtails; play with her dolls or with wooden soldiers. Exhausted, Rosanna leant up against the doorpost. And later... she reminisced; her stomach dropped. The baby had opened its eyes; looking around and gazing at her parents, before locking eyes with Rosanna. "Later... she will become a warrior candidate."