Chapter 53: Through thick and thin

The top of her bunkbed had an odd texture. Full of chunks and paint chips. Rosanna carefully scratched the ceiling of the bunk bed. She scratched her bandages that were wadded around her head, "Itchy..." she complained, her arm plopping down on her face. She closed her eyes again. The room was dimly lit, but due to the light concussion she obtained even the slightest bit of sunlight seemed too much. She groaned and rolled onto her side, maybe she could nap for a bit. She sighed deeply as she felt her muscles relax, she sank away in a relaxed slumber. She snoozed a little, listening to the distant noise of voices talking, the smell of coffee, the feeling of the bit rough pillow on her cheek. She felt herself sink into a deep sleep as the truck started pulling up to the trains.

Zeke packed up the last of his books and belongings, shoving them in the large crate he brought before lugging it onto the train. Reiner came lugging along, sweating profusely due to the heat. Pieck already sat in her place, her skirt hiked up so her legs could cool and her hair pinned up as high as possible. Porco slept in a shadowy corner in the train cart. "Colt?!" Zeke called out, looking around. "Yes, sir." Colt said, running to the train and hopping into the cart. "Are we leaving soon?" Colt asked, Zeke wiped the sweat off of his brow. "We are still waiting for the infirmary trucks." He said, pointing the green trucks out. Colt nodded, he felt antsy. "Do you think I could go and help?" he asked, Zeke raised an eyebrow. "Of course, it'll make our departure quicker." He commented before waving Colt off and stepping inside. Reiner sat opposite of Pieck, gazing out the window. "How is Doctor Bauer?" Pieck asked, Reiner nodded, "She'll be fine." He responded, flipping through a book that was on the table. "I am surprised, that those devils just let her go..." Pieck said softly, Reiner looked at her with raised eyebrows. "She has knowledge that they need." He said coldly. Pieck frowned concerned, "Yeah... that'll be it." The two looked up when an out-of-breath Colt burst into the wagon. "We are leaving!" he said, smiling widely.

Rosanna woke up when she heard the distant cadence of a train, she cracked open her eyes and wiped her mouth. She had drooled while she slept and now her mouth felt dry. She looked around the room, trying to get her bearing. She was in another dim lit room, but it was wider and cooler. She saw a small table where a jug of water, a cup and a basin stood. She yawned, her jaw cracking painfully. She groaned and threw her arm over her eyes. She heard the floorboards outside her door crack and the door open slowly. "Hello?" she croaked. "Hey." Porco's nonchalant voice responded. "Hey." Rosanna replied, rolling onto her side. "Please, just lay back." Porco ordered her, sitting down in the chair next to the table. "Didn't know you would be here." Rosanna groaned, rolling onto her back. "The Brass changed strategies." Porco concluded. The two sat in silence, Porco leaned back in his chair. "I have so many questions..." he eventually said, crossing his arms. Rosanna sighed, "Like what?" Porco frowned, "What is the meaning of this whole charade? You being shipped off to that island... disappearing for a year." Rosanna raised an eyebrow. "You question the war chief's choices?" Rosanna mumbled. Porco's eyes widened, "I wouldn't dare..." he said, Rosanna smirked. "Good, because neither do I." Porco raised an eyebrow, getting the gist of Rosanna's situation. "I am sorry, I probably shouldn't bother an ailing woman." Rosanna snorted and giggled, "Ailing..." she mocked. She turned her head to him, "Please help an Ailing woman and pour me some water." She asked, adding a theatrical shiver to her voice. Porco grinned, "Of course, Doctor." He sighed, getting up and pouring a glass of water. Rosanna snickered, taking the glass of water and carefully sipping it. She hummed curiously when she heard a knock. "Come in!" she said, her voice now sounding clearer due to the sip of water. Carefully Reiner peeked around the corner, "Can I?" he asked, smiling. Rosanna nodded, "Of course." Reiner walked inside, Porco sighed and stood up from his chair. "See ya, Doc." He greeted Rosanna casually as he walked. "Oh, you're going?" Rosanna asked him as Porco let Colt pass by him. "Yup." The teen said as he closed the door. The three sat in silence, "Well then." Rosanna breathed. Reiner pulled up the chair, carefully sitting down. "Colt have a seat." Rosanna said to the nervous teenager. The blond boy nodded and skittered around, getting a chair. "How are you feeling?" Reiner asked, leaning forward and folding his hands. "Better, the light still gives me a headache..." Rosanna rested her head back in her pillow. "Still a little dizzy." She looked over at Colt. "I am sorry you were the one to find me, Colt. It must've been quite a shock." Rosanna expressed her concern, Colt looked up a bit sheepishly. "It was...surprising. Besides, we never met that many times." Rosanna raised her eyebrows, he was right. They only met a handful of times. Rosanna finished her water, the three were silent. The wind whooshing past the train windows. "Thank you for finding me." Rosanna finally said, "I don't think I would've been alive."

Reiner looked up with an expression of concern and slight confusion on his face. He still did not understand anything, why did Rosanna go to that island, what happened to her? "Colt, will you step outside for half an hour? I have some classified information to share with Reiner." The boy sat up straight like a board, rising from the chair and saluting proudly. Rosanna grinned, "Place rest, soldier. Now go and get some food." Colt rushed out of the room, slamming the door behind him. Reiner sat back in his chair, "What?" he asked. "I think I understand you better now..." Rosanna began, noticing Reiner's fidgeting. "Those people on that island... they were... not devils..." Reiner took in a deep breath to protest and let out a bombardment of propaganda. Rosanna raised her hand to shut him up. "Don't lie to me..." she said matter of fact. "I met people on that island... they became my friends... they would kill and die for me." She paused, "And I would do the same for them." Reiner stared at the door, "You can't say those things... not as a senior member of the titan squad." Rosanna raised any eyebrow. "I am not saying them as a doctor. But as another human. I understand you now... the fear you must've felt to be found out, the joy you experienced surrounded by those weirdos." Reiner slumped in his chair. "Through thick and thin." He finally breathed. Rosanna nodded. "And I tried to destroy them... or we... tried to destroy them." Rosanna sat up. "And you will have to, again." Reiner's face dropped. Rosanna's breathing became strained. "And you won't be able to fail... or you can kiss that armor goodbye." She was back in being a doctor. "But just know that you won't be alone in your mourning for that island." She fixed a glare onto his face.

"Because I will mourn with you for those people, good or bad."