Chapter 48: Face-to-face

Rosanna stood leaned over the banister of the big steamer, staring at the nearing island that lay in the orange glow of the dusking sun. She sighed deeply, leaning her chin on her clasped hands and looked out over the foam of the waves. "Maybe Zeke was right... this is relaxing." She murmured to herself. She stood up straight and stretched, starting to walk away for a turn around the deck. She did not have a lot to do, just journaling each morning and night. It was not easy being the only Eldian on board, she mainly was ignored by her crew mates and conversations were formal and short. Still, she was left alone and not whispered about. For some weird reason they found her presence normal. "I wonder what we are going to do at the island... it's not like we are going to stage a whole coup." She thought to herself. Rosanna shrugged and continued her way down the deck, stopping in her tracks as she heard two officers murmur to each other.

"Have we heard anything from the missing steamer?"

"No, nothing, sir."

"How high is the chance they are still alive?"
The soldier shrugged, "Quite high, I guess they must've simply run aground."

"Or the enemy has taken them over." The soldier grinned, "Sir, you truly put a lot of hope in those devils' intellect." The two men chuckled to each other before going back to work.

Calmly Rosanna continued her path, "Still nasty..." she whispered to herself. Only she, Annie, Bertholdt and Reiner knew how advanced the inhabitants of Paradis were. Many technical substances and appliances were missing. But most homes had running water and people put time into involving smart methods for farming and living. The island was probably only about 20 years behind. Rosanna shivered, the sun had gone now and the coldness of the clear night was settling in. She rushed inside to get a blanket and have a tea in her room.

Onyankopon nervously looked at Yelena who was getting the radio back on track to hail the nearing boat. "We are expecting the doctor on board, right?" he asked, trying to hide his anxiety. "Bauer? Yes, Zeke must've sent for her to come over here." Yelena said, turning some buttons and clicking the power up button. The radio started buzzing and looked for channels to connect to. "What are you so nervous about?" Yelena snipped at her partner in crime. "I...I was just wondering, do you think Bauer can swim?" he asked, walking to a window. "She trained with Zeke ever since she was 5, of course she can... and if not... well." She put on the headphones, hearing the distant voice of the radio of the approaching steamer. Onyankopon sighed, Yelena did not have high hopes for the doctor, if it was up to her, Rosanna could drown in the harbor for all she cared. He heard the smile in her voice as she called for help, warning them for the enemy who was nearing them. He could hear the crackling static of the receiver, "Right, Armin should be getting ready, get up the deck!" Yelena ordered, pointing up the deck. Onyankopon nodded, putting on his helmet before running up the steps to the tipped deck.

Rosanna was alerted by a loud rap on her door, "Get on deck! The enemy!" a soldier yelled, Rosanna gasped, dropping her pen and running to the door. She burst it open, slipping on her way into the hallway and barely making the corner. She watched as the soldiers jumped from the deck into the water. She looked around to see the colossal titan rise up above the waves, the sea water disintegrating into hot steam. "Oh fuck!" she cursed, no longer hesitant. She grabbed hold of the bannister and leapt over, flailing wildly in her descent to the water surface. She crouched into a ball and closed her nose. The impact was massive, the air got pushed out of her lungs and she had to kick herself back up to the surface and take a deep breath. With all her might she started ploughing through the water, the colossal did not chase her. He stood there calmly waiting for the soldiers to get on land. "Bertholdt?" Rosanna asked herself as she grabbed hold of a rock. "No... he looked different." With her last bit of energy Rosanna climbed up onto the shore. Her uniform and hair soaked. "Not again..." she sobbed, sitting down on her knees the squeeze the water out. All soldiers had already made it onto land and were probably caught up in fighting the enemy. She shivered in the cold night air, she breathed into her hands as she started the climb up the hill.

Hange looked pleased as all soldier from the ships were accounted for by kneeling on the small field at the top of the harbor. Levi's greeting hadn't been as warm as hers had been when they received the first Marleyan scouting party. She looked up when she saw Onyankopon walk their way. "Everyone accounted for?" Hange asked, she looked shocked when the man shook his head. "Not all, we are missing one." Hange frowned, "Maybe they did not make it?" the commander felt a deep sadness spread through her stomach. "No, she should still be down in the harbor!" Onyankopon figured, he pointed down at the harbor and started running the way the soldiers came. Hange followed suit. "Who are you missing? A general? A commander?" Hange asked, climbing over rocks and hills. "A doctor." Onyankopon answered. "The titan unit's doctor and Zeke's childhood friend." Hange looked shocked, "Zeke? Childhood friend?" she felt her curiosity grow by the second. "Why should she have been on that ship?" They asked. "For sharing knowledge, she is one of the most well-read and educated women in the internment zone." He replied, he looked in the distance. Relief washed over him when he spotted a small silhouette climbing up the hill. "Miss Bauer!" he called out, walking towards her with big steps.

Rosanna looked up as she saw her name being called, "Hello! Oh!" she guarded her eyes from the bright light of a flash light. "I am so sorry for this inconvenience." the man started. "No problem, I am just cold." Rosanna opted; she tilted her head looking over his shoulder. "Who is that?" she asked Hange indirectly. The commander's brown eyes grew wider, an uncontrollable smile split her serious face open. "I am Hange Zoe! Nice to meet you!" the person in the green cloack greeted her. Rosanna grinned, feeling a little nervous about this amicable person. But somewhere, she felt the warmth the commander bestowed on her. "I am Rosanna Bauer, it's a pleasure!" the two people reached out their hands to each other shaking them politely. "I am so sorry; we were not expecting you among all of these soldiers." Hange explained. "But I am glad we can finally meet a person from the internment zone." Rosanna raised an eyebrow, "But you have met Reiner Braun, have you not?" she asked curiously. "He is also from an internment zone" Hange nodded her head violently, "I do, how do you know Reiner?" she asked. "I've known him since he was a mere brat..." Rosanna replied smiling warmly. Hange noticed the younger woman shake from the cold, "I apologize, you must be freezing. "Come, I will give you something warmer and a hot meal." Hange offered, pulling the young woman along. Rosanna rested her shoulder against the commander, feeling strangely relaxed. Even though she would have to consider them the enemy, but, then again. She never truly believed the propaganda thrown her way, neither did her parents. "Everyone will be so surprised to see a female doctor!" Hange laughed.

"I am sure they will, Commander Zoe."