Preparation

preparation

Rosanna sat in the doctor's office of the hospital, going through and taking notes of patient records. The cup of tea that she had gotten after lunch had gotten cold, she was deeply buried in her work, completely unaware of the world around her. She reached her hand out for her mug, picking it up and taking a careful sip. "Wugh, cold..." she muttered, she grabbed the mug more steadily and downed the liquid quickly. Just as she was about to swallow the drink, the phone in the office rang. The loud sound made Rosanna jump and almost spill her tea over her notes. She choked, smacked herself in the chest to correct the liquid going down her airpipe and carefully rose from her chair. "Freakin' phone." She muttered, wiping tears from her eyes. Rosanna took the horn from the hook and put it to her ear. "Good afternoon, hospital Liberio, Rosanna Bauer speaking. How can I help?" she smiled when she heard the familiar voice on the other side. "Ah, Rosie dear. It's Mr Xaver." Rosanna relaxed, propped the phone between her shoulder and chin and leaned against the wall. "How have you been? It's been a while since we talked." She frowned, "You are not ill, are you?" Xaver laughed, "No, I am very much alright. Thank you for your concern. I was just wondering if you would like to come and play ball with me and Zeke. You know, after your training with the younger cadets." Rosanna scratched her head, searching for the specific training Xaver was talking about, "Oh yeah, the training!" she exclaimed before chuckling nervously. "You forgot?" Xaver asked, "Rosanna..." he sounded disappointed. "I am sorry... I just... have had a lot on my mind." Rosanna started, rubbing her eye. "You are going to finish the program, right?" his voice took on a strict yet concerned tone. "Yes, yes. Of course." She paused, "I just... I know I am not going to be a warrior..." she shrugged, "Even if I become one, I'll be replaced within a year." She sounded surely uncommitted, Xaver sighed, "Rosie, don't assume what the government will decide. No matter what choice they make, you will need to be ready for whatever alternative they give you." Rosanna nodded, "I understand, but...It won't save my family." She sighed, "So, you won't save them. But you will help them and help yourself." He paused, waiting for Rosanna to answer. "I understand..." the girl concluded, she felt her chest get tight, her throat was hurting as she was trying to hold back a few tears. "Please don't be sad, Rosie." Xaver said, "I am still proud that you've come this far..." Rosanna let out a choky, "uh-huh." "It's just the last push, alright?" "Alright." Rosanna nodded, "I'll see you later, sir." She heard Xaver's smile in his voice.

"Just call me Tom, dear."

Rosanna sauntered through the streets, sporting her white training uniform and smart dark blue headscarf. She carried her dark brown bag under her arm, she had to dump it into her locker first before going to training. Zeke was probably waiting. "I don't wanna see him today..." she thought to herself, rolling her eyes. Zeke had gotten a knack for calling her short or 12-year-old boy. Not that she didn't talk back or snap at him when he took his nagging to far. It wouldn't take long before she should have to swing a fist again. She remembered how she had gotten in a nasty fist fight with him a few years earlier. She had been stronger for the majority of the fight; she had been grinning as she kept Zeke in a tight armbar. Until he threw her off and had knocked her out by slamming her head into a rock. After that, things had changed. Rosanna had become more introverted, careful with her words, yet defensive and hostile towards Zeke. She huffed, hopping up the stairs into the Marleyan headquarters. She walked through the long hall way that led to the main locker area. She greeted a few familiar officers and soldiers whom passed her as she walked. As she arrived at her locker, she dropped her book bag against her locker, a Marleyan official looked at her with disapproval. She sighed deeply and fiddled with her keys before unlocking her locker and throwing her bag, coat and headscarf in it. She undid her loosened pony tail, using the mirror in her locker door as she fixed it with a small comb she brought. Rosanna was too busy to notice a pair of brown eyes looking at her over her locker door. "Rosie~" a voice sing-songed, the girl jumped and dropped her comb. "Oscar?" she asked, 'Hi." The young man greeted, closing the locker, "Hi, how are you?" Rosanna asked as she crouched and picked up her comb. "I am alright, just getting some paperwork done." Rosanna tied her hair up as she listened to him. "Nice, you work around here?" he nodded, "Second floor, communication department, what are you off to?" Rosanna finished her hair, "Training." She put the lock back on her lockerdoor, she started for the exit but stopped and looked at Oscar. "Would you like a walk?" she asked, the young man nodded and walked after her.