Chapter 41: Galliard

Zeke, Reiner and Rosanna stood on deck watching over the sea and the nearing shore of Marley. Rosanna and Reiner chatted excited, making sharp remarks about each other and talking about what they were going to do in their one month on the continent. Zeke tried to block them out, focusing on the ocean waves and regularly taking a puff of his cigarette. "Have you heard anything from Gabi?" Reiner informed about his cousin, Rosanna nodded, "Last I heard she was in first in her class." She responded, Reiner nodded, "That's unlike me..." he commented. "You weren't that bad..." Rosanna reassured him. "If I recall correctly you had to get me out of a ditch a total of 15 times." He said sarcastically, "Ten times." She corrected him, nudging Zeke, "The war-chief got you out the other 5 times." Zeke looked up and blew smoke in her face, making her bounce back and shuffle away from him. Reiner followed her. He grinned at the two fussing about and catching up. He took another drag of his cigarette, "Rosanna." He said, leaning on his hand. "Yes, Chief?" she answered. "Go and see where Bertholdt is, we're landing soon." Rosanna nodded, "Yes, sir." She playfully smacked Reiner's shoulder before bounding away. Reiner looked at Zeke before stretching and looking at the harbor. "Reiner, I need to tell you something." Reiner looked up. "When we get on land, don't associate with Rosanna too much, for the sake of keeping your good name as Marley's shield." Reiner raised his eyebrows, "What why?" He smiled nervously, looking at the door Rosanna had just walked off the deck from. "She is the target of gossip in Liberio and Rebellio, she had deserted us at the end of the first half of the eastern conflict. She has been trialed, jailed and is now under my supervision. One more misstep of hers and it's off to Paradise" He stomped out his cigarette, "And let's not forget to mention, there are rumors spreading that she had a child at the age of 15 or 16. Said child is now living with her extended family." Reiner frowned concerned. "How? How did she even have a child?" Zeke nonchalantly raised his eyebrows, "When a man and woman love each other very much, they might..." he sighed, Reiner raised his hand to stop Zeke, "I know the technical specifications..." Reiner spoke, to stop the awkward birds and bees talk, "But..." Reiner was full of questions, he sighed, "Fine, chief. I'll heed your advice." Zeke nodded, "Good, now get your things. We're anchoring soon."

It was a sunny, cool day in Liberio. No people had come to welcome them, the mission must've been held a secret. Rosanna was the first off, followed by Pieck and Zeke. She was lost in thought, she had to visit the Galliard's to inform them about Ymir and the loss of their son and their status. Porco would be the next Jaws, reinstalling a new honor for the family. "I should write to my aunt..." she thought as she walked up the steps to HQ. Her bags were awfully heavy... she sighed and dropped them at her door, unlocking the door and pushing them inside with a powerful kick. She walked to her kitchenette putting the kettle on for a cup of tea. She started unpacking, organizing her books and clothes in their respectable cubbies and hangers. She stood up after having one bag done, her joints cracked painfully as she did so. She poured up a cup of tea and had a breather on the couch, overlooking the street she looked out over. "I should make an official letter for them, and then go..." she thought about the Galliard family as she drank her tea. She stood up, stretched and sat at her desk. Getting the official HQ letter paper out and grabbing her pen. In a concentrated mindset she wrote up her condolences for Marcel's family, examining his death and the date. Consoling them and telling them that their status would not be impacted. She finished her tea and put the letter in the envelope, sealing it with some black candle wax. "How many more of these am I going to write?" She whispered to herself, putting the letter in her bag and looking through her wardrobe to find her black uniform jacket that was worn when delivering condolences. She found it, pressed the wrinkles out of it with an iron and put it on. "I should mend it; it isn't too comfortable anymore..." she noticed it was tight around the shoulders but too loose at the waist. She took her bag and her keys, looking around her room. "I'll continue tidying later..." she said to herself, walking out the door. She ran into the gate guards, told them her business and moved on. The Galliards lived on the edge of town, near Mr. Hoover. She took her time moving through town, greeting some familiars and asking how they were. She passed the hospital, seeing Mr. Yeager, the two waved at each other before she moved on. She walked up the steps to the edge of town, being greeted by the Galliard's guard dog. "Hello, boy..." she said, stopping to pet shepherd. "Are your owners at home?" she asked the excited dog. The dog hopped to the door and scratched at the doorpost. "I'll ring..." she said, gesturing at the animal to not scratch at the paint. The door was opened by Porco, he looked surprised to see her, "Miss Bauer." He greeted her, whistling at the shepherd to come in. Then he noticed the black uniform Rosanna wore, he turned around and yelled for his parents. "Come in! Please!" he said as he turned back to Rosanna. Rosanna walked in and shut the door. "I am so sorry to come just after dinner time, it must be incredibly inconvenient for you." She apologized to Mr. and Mrs. Galliard. Mrs. Galliard sat in her chair; her knitting dropped in her lap. "But you have the right to know what happened to your son, Marcel. And what is going to happen next." She formally offered the letter to Mr. Galliard. With shivering hands, the man opened the letter, he read the first lines and tears flowed out of his eyes. "Okay..." he croaked, plopping down on the sofa, dropping the letter. Porco grabbed the letter and walked over to his father, pressing his hand upon his shoulder. The boy's eyes flooded with tears which he stubbornly blinked away, "Marcel? Eaten?" he asked. Rosanna nodded, "At the start of the Mission, your brother and your son, Marcel was eaten by a mindless titan. The person holding the jaws has been captured by our Marleyan Warriors." From the corner of her eye, she could see Mrs. Galliard weep, too shocked to say anything or breathe. "This also means, that you will be the next in line for the Jaw, Porco." She stared at him with a serious look, Mrs. Galliard sobbed sharply, Rosanna walked over to the woman, putting her arm around her shoulder. "I am sorry that this is the way it had to go... I would've wished for you to see Marcel return a hero. But fate has taken a different course." She looked from Mr. Galliard to Porco and back to Mrs. Galliard. "From the depth of my heart, I condole you. And I wish you strength in this trying time..." Porco nodded, "Thank you..." he whispered. The dog had come into the living room, licking Mr. Galliard's face. "We are honored to welcome one of the nine into our family." He said weakly. "And grateful for the current vessel of the titan for bringing home Marcel." Rosanna bowed her head. "Your son's death will not be in vain." She said softly. She looked at the clock. "Thank you for your time..." she said softly, "Feel free to come to the hospital to speak to me." She said, nodding at Porco. "I'll see you out." He spoke. He looked numb as he opened the door for Rosanna, "Thank you, doctor." He said as Rosanna stepped outside. "I'll see you sometime next week, Porco." Porco saluted her, "Yes Ma'am." Rosanna returned the salute a walked off, waving at him as he shut the door. On her way home she shed a few tears for Marcel and his family.

Rosanna slowly stomped up the steps to her room, jumping when she saw a shape slumped against the door. "Piecky?" Rosanna asked, examining the shadow. "Hey..." Pieck squeaked. She slowly stood up. Rosanna sighed impatiently, "Where are your crutches...?" she asked, "I don't need 'em." Pieck replied. Rosanna smiled at her and rolled her eyes, "What do you need?" Pieck smiled, "A cup of tea and an art lesson?" she asked. Rosanna nodded and grinned.

"You're at the right address for that..."