Chapter 13: modern verse special

Halloween special

Rosanna stood outside the hair salon where she had worked a long day. Inside she heard Saskia sweep up the left-over hair and mop up spilled tea and lemonade. "Should I get coffee?" Rosanna asked herself, picturing the coffee shop across the road. She looked up when she heard the door open and close, Saskia stepped out, having changed into her casual attire. Her red curly hair done up in a messy bun. "Store is done, just have to lock everything." Saskia fixed her shoelaces before standing next to her friend. "Coffee and sushi?" she asked Rosanna, Rosanna squinted her face, "Bad combo." She scraped her sneakers across the rough concrete. "Coffee and crepes?" Saskia tried again. Rosanna shook her head violently, Saskia laughed at her friend's weirdness. Rosanna yawned, "Imma change. Maybe later this week we'll do crepe day." Saskia groaned disappointed at Rosanna.

Rosanna quickly took off her apron and work sneakers, changing into a pair of rainbow crocks and a legging. She took off her long-sleeved work shirt, tossing it into a laundry bag and changing into a black shirt with wolf print. On top of her black shirt she put on a warm black cat sweater. When she walked out of the changing room, Saskia already stood outside the door, ready to go. "Well... you're in Halloween mood..." She remarked when she saw the sweater Rosanna was wearing. "Really?" Rosanna smiled, she spun around showing her outfit. "Yeah." The two women walked out the salon, locking the door. "How late are we starting tomorrow?" Saskia asked, "Same time. We have a lot of bridal appointments." Saskia sighed. "Why are people getting married in October? It's not like you can have a nice cosy beach wedding." Rosanna grinned, "You and your beach weddings." She sighed. "It's just..." Saskia huffed, making an irritated gesture with her hands before dropping them at her sides. "There, there." Rosanna hushed her friend, gently patting her shoulder. The girls reached the bus stop, hugged each other quickly and parted ways.

Rosanna pulled up her music app and put in her earbuds, walking in the rhythm of the beat. She crossed the street, she looked up when she felt a raindrop hit her forehead. Rosanna cussed under her breath before running onto the street to the nearest coffeeshop. She busted open the door, out of breath. She shivered and looked around, it was strangely calm for a rainy Thursday evening. Rosanna looked out the window for a while, sighing deeply at the pouring rain. She walked to the counter, greeting the server kindly and ordering a hot chocolate. She quietly walked over to a high chair by the window. Rosanna sighed as she sat down and sipped her hot chocolate. "What a day..." she thought to herself, she checked her phone. Nothing, uncle and aunt are still on gone probably, she wondered when they would be back. She put her phone down on the bar. Watching people walk by, carrying umbrella's and groceries. Mother's dragging along tired kids, an old man carrying a small dog. Rosanna sipped her drink, tapping her fingers on the wood. One of the employees walked around the restaurant, wiping down tables. Rosanna looked up, smiling at them, "Slow day, huh?" she scratched her head, the person nodded and grinned comically, "Almost Friday, though." Rosanna nodded and smiled, "God, yes." She said softly before turning back to the window, dreaming away by looking at the rain.

Rosanna jumped back into life when her ringtone went off, "The hell?!" she thought to herself, looking at her phone. Her screen lit up with a photo of Zeke Yeager, an acquaintance from high school. On the photo he was pitching baseballs with his team. Rosanna quickly picks up the phone, "Hello? Rosanna Bauer speaking." She says quickly. "Hey, its Zeke. Rosanna, you got any time to help at the bookshop?" Rosanna frowned, "What? You're still open?" Zeke sighed, sounding clearly irritated. "I finally got a new order of books in, but the rest already left..." Rosanna sighed, "Fine, I am on my way..." Zeke thanked her and hung up. Rosanna hopped from her chair, waved at the girl behind the counter and walked out of the shop.

Rosanna reached the bookstore, her head deeply tucked away into the hood of her sweater. She knocked on the glass door. The store was already empty, the lights were off and the chairs were stacked on the tables. It had been a while since Rosanna had been at the bookstore, it looked bigger than the past time she had seen it. She looked up when she heard movement coming down the hall, Zeke walked down to the door. Smiling slightly at seeing Rosanna, he unlocked and opened the door. "Hey, kid." He greeted her, before stepping aside and letting his ex-classmate in. "Hi." Rosanna answered, walking into the bookstore, looking around astounded by the transformation of the building. "Impressive, huh?" Zeke asked closing the door and looking up at the ceiling painting. "Completely fake, but, it does add some aesthetic." Rosanna smiled, noticing the badge on Zeke's shirt. "Since when are you a manager?" she asked, poking at it. Zeke playfully smacked her hand away, "Since sometime, you just never come in to see me." He walked to the stairs leading to the library part of the shop.

"This part is new as well?" Rosanna asked, running her fingertips over the backs of the books. It smelled incredible in this part of the library. Like fresh wood, leather and ink. Zeke nodded, "Yeah. it's not finished yet, though. We still need some more bookcases. And a coffee corner." Zeke opened the door to the stockroom, dragged out two boxes and with a supple gesture pulled out a boxcutter. "Careful..." Rosanna mumbled, Zeke stopped, looked up at her and frowned. Rosanna grinned, Zeke rolled his eyes and sighed, "I just remembered why we never hang out..." Rosanna cackled and watched as Zeke opened the boxes.

"Halloween specials?" Rosanna asked, picking one of the books up and sifting through it. "Yeah, picked up from the charity collection point." There was the dull bang of a book falling, "Woops." Zeke exclaimed softly, picking the book up, looking through it and putting it on an empty box. "You gonna steal that one?" Rosanna remarked. "It's not a Halloween special, so... I can keep it." Zeke explained, "Is that a thing a manager can do?" Rosanna asked, picking up an empty box and ripping it. Zeke shook his head, "No, but I can..." he smirked at Rosanna, causing her to roll her eyes. The two continued working and stocking the bookcases, occasionally talking to each other.

About an hour of working, Rosanna settled down on a big pillow sipping on a cup of coffee Zeke gave her. She looked up at him as he stocked the top shelves of the book case. "You know, we are giving a Halloween party this weekend." Zeke started, Rosanna raised her eyebrows. "I thought you despised parties?" she asked him, Zeke shook his head, "I don't mind them. Especially when some... important figures are coming." Rosanna frowned at Zeke, "Important people? Who did you invite, the mayor?" Zeke scoffed, "I wish. I could get a good chunk of money for my bookstore from him." Zeke turned to Rosanna, "You wanna come to?" Rosanna sipped her coffee, thinking deeply. Parties were alright, but only if her good friends were there. She remembered all the parties she had gone too where she had been standing in the corner awkwardly. "You can bring Saskia." Zeke added, reading Rosanna's face. "Yeah... I think I'll be there. What is the dress code?" Zeke finished stocking the books. "Formal." Rosanna huffed, "Ah god." Zeke shrugged, jumping from the ladder. "What's wrong with formal?" he rolled his sleeves down, checking his watch. "It's uncomfortable." Rosanna remarked, downing the last bit of coffee. "Just come over... It's at Tom's Xaver's house, really easy to find, you've been there before for baseball." Zeke grabbed Rosanna's coat and held it open for her. Rosanna rolled her eyes at Zeke's old-fashioned gesture, but she thanked him. "Now get outta here." Zeke said, fake-threatening Rosanna. Rosanna huffed and chuckled, "See you Saturday, then." She said as she walked to the door. "Yup." Zeke mumbled, "Bye!" Rosanna called out as the door fell shut. Immediately Zeke reached for his phone, dialling a number waiting for it to connect

"Rosanna is in." He told the person on the other line. "No, but I'll explain in to her later."

"She won't mind helping for sure."