Chapter 36: Trial

Chapter 36: Trial

Rosanna sat in the corner of her empty, sandstone jail. Snuggled up underneath a blanket on a hard wooden bench. Her rib-cage had been tightly bandaged up and the pain was bearable if she kept still and laid down carefully. They had not humiliated her, made a fool of her by dragging her through town and stoning her with rocks. But the fact that everyone showed so little emotion and towards was the most disturbing, like any moment one could lose their apathy and come after her in a lethal way. She carefully laid down, looking up through the tiny window in the wall of her cell. It was a beautiful day today; she could hear some birds sing. "At least you're not in a cage like me..." she said smiling. "flying around must be nice." She laid there for a while, holding her side and long strands of black hair touching the ground. "Dying when it's so nice out... it's a shame..." she whispered. She closed her eyes for a bit, hoping to take a nap before they would come get her for her hearing and trial.

Rosanna snoozed a bit before she heard footsteps in the distance, she carefully sat up from her laying position and tried fixing her hair with her hands a bit. She wished for a mirror. There were the three clicks of the lock, followed by the creak of the hinges, Rosanna's eyes widened as a familiar face entered the room. The two women stared at each other, one frightened, the other surprised. "Auntie?" Rosanna whispered. She titled her head, carefully standing, grunting when she felt her ribs protest. "Please... sit down..." aunt said, gesturing the girl to sit down. Rosanna carefully let up and sat down again. Rosanna suddenly felt the guilt wash over, she had sullied the good family name she had built up since infancy. She hid her head, looking down. "Aunt... I am sorry... I was wrong to run." She felt tears sting, "Blame me... I deserve it." Rosanna sobbed, shrinking in her own grieve. Aunt watched as her only child shriveled, she walked over to her, pressing both her hands onto the girl's head. "Take no blame... sweet girl... since all I can see when I imagine you in the East is a happy child..." she whispered. "Not a deserter... not even an Eldian from an internment zone." Rosanna carefully looked up. The two shared a tender look, Rosanna carefully stood up from her seat, embracing her aunt. "I'd wish you'd reject me... keep yourself safe." Rosanna said softly, hanging in her parent's arms. Aunt shivered, "The state will already do that... I am not going to do that to my child. I am your mother." Rosanna sobbed as she heard this affirmation. There was a rap on the door, "Time's up." The guard said, opening the door. Aunt slowly let go of her daughter, "I love you... I'll pray for you." She whispered. Rosanna looked fragile, like she would burst and fall to pieces like a fine china. "Goodbye..."

Zeke sat in his office, uncomfortable in his dress whites. A glass of cognac balanced on his knee. The high officers were still discussing, how he'd love to be in that room, but even a Eldian captain was not meant to attend such discussions. He had left his suggestions with Magath, but if they would be applicated was the question. He yawned, "They better hurry, I'll much rather be asleep..." he mumbled. He looked out the window. "You really blew it, Rosanna, getting yourself on the bad side of the brass." He sighed, "You were a genuine rival, Rosanna." He stood up, feeling restless. Somewhere he had more to say about this girl he had known since infancy.... But... the words were not there. He looked in the mirror, he scratched his beard, it was getting long, too long. "I should have a shave. I look feral." He murmured to himself. He jumped when the door to his office opened, he turned away from the mirror and saluted the officers walking in. "We are decided, Yeager. Call upon the cartman and we'll make sure the brass is in the hall." Yeager nodded turning to walk out the door, he paused. "Wait, sir. The whole brass? You are calling upon the whole brass?" Magath raised an eyebrow. "Yes, did I not tell you? Bauer is a case we never had before, we have to know how to handle them in the future." Zeke's eyebrows raised further before he walked out of the room.

"Can you walk?" the guard asked as he walked into the cell, Rosanna nodded, carefully standing up. The guard walked over to her, cuffing her wrists and carefully leading her out of the cell block, making sure she could keep up the pace. In the distance Rosanna heard the murmuring of voices, a lot of them. "Did they invite the whole Brass?" She asked the guard. "You'll see." He murmured, he pushed the door open and lead the young woman into the large hall. A wooden courtroom, furnished for 200 people. As soon as Rosanna stepped into the room, the murmuring stopped and there was shushing. The guard uncuffed Rosanna and reserved himself into a corner by the door post. "Fuck... I got an audience..." Rosanna smiled to herself, she looked around from the right bench to the left bench and back to the main bench of the judge and jury. On top of the judge and jury post was a small bench for the Eldians, she could see Zeke, Pieck and Porco. Pieck looked nervous and upset, leaning across the barrier. "It'll be fine sweetheart." She thought when she saw the upset Pieck. She looked ahead when the martial entered the room, the room stood and waited for the gesture of the martial to sit down again. "Here we go." Rosanna thought, she and the Martial locked eyes, his stare cold. She sighed deeply and brought the Marleyan salute proudly, some people gasped at the gesture of loyalty to the state, soft voices spread through the hall, questioning her true character. "The case that lies upon the shoulders of the state of Marley is that of Rosanna Bauer, titan scientist, doctor and part of the titan unit." He flipped through his page, "Miss Bauer has been accused on one count of desertion outside of wartime." He frowned, leaning into his papers, "And abandonment of the titan squad." Rosanna crossed her arms, waiting for the man to find his train of thought. "She is also a suspected spy, spreading sensitive information from one city in the easter enemy state to another." There was whispering again, someone coughed. Rosanna frowned, "I did not such thing." She thought to herself. "Miss Bauer, I lay these serious accusations in front of you, will you plead in the name of truth and in the name of our great state?" Rosanna nodded, "I will, truthfully, your honor."
"Are you guilty of desertion outside of a wartime?"

"I am."

"Are you guilty of abandoning the titan unit?"

"I am."

"Are you a spy and spreader of sensitive information to our enemies?"

"I am not."

The martial raised his eyebrows and made a note, "May I ask what your motivation was for your desertion?"

"I wanted to not return to our great nation of Marley, since my uncle past three years before and my aunt left Liberio for her own health." She said curtly.

Agreeable whispers.

"Is that your one true motivation?"

"Aye, sir."

"With whom did you have contact during your desertion?"

A deadly silence.

"Farmers, fishers and nomad's, sir." She answered coolly.

"Even inside cities?"

"Inside of the cities I acted the role I play best, sir. I helped prevent and heal plague, hardworking people and the less well-off were my closest contacts..."

The martial raised his eyebrows. "Impressive." He whispered under his breath.

"Very well..." he fixed his eye upon the room, "We will shortly pause, while the jury decides their verdict." The room agreed and stood up, leaving. Rosanna was left alone with the Martial and Jury. She nervously scraped her foot, fiddling with her bandages. She turned back around and noticed the Martial peeking up at her every now and then. She could hear the jury whisper amongst themselves, sometimes they looked at her before tearing their stare away from her. "Rosanna looked up at the beautiful wooden ceiling, Depictions of judgements and sentences were painted onto the roof. "I hope you are praying for me, mother." Rosanna thought.

"We are ready, Your honor."

As soon as the room was filled up again, the trial continued. Rosanna felt the hope sink away from her shoulders; her ribs hurt from standing too long. She was asked to kneel on one knee to receive the verdict. "Our verdict is complete." The jury. "In histories before our present times, Eldians were sent to their heaven without trial." He began, his voice booming across the room. "Thus, we had viewed the crime of Rosanna Bauer." Rosanna shivered, pushing back a tear. "But compared to the crimes of revivalists, traitors and other Eldian Guile, Miss Bauer's actions fall short to gain a place in paradise." He flipped the page. "Therefore, Miss Rosanna will be trialed by the standards of Honorary Marleyan for this occasion." The room gasped and then fell quiet. "She will suffer 6 months of jail time, forfeit of all pay from the Eastern campaign and a ban from leaving the city without an army supervision." He finished speaking. Rosanna noticed Mr Magath standing up, a look of disappointment on his face. "The titan unit will watch Miss Bauer closely, she will be the shadow of Zeke Yeager and the Beast, the Eldian captain of our unit. If Captain Yeager suspects anything, Miss Bauer will be sent to Paradise without hesitation or trial. She will be expected to do her duties and show her devotion to the state." Rosanna nodded and leaned onto her knee. "Hereby I dissolve this case." The Martial said, disbanding the meeting. A guard walked over to Rosanna, cuffing her again. "You got off easy, you degenerate." He mumbled. Rosanna felt a mix of confusion and relief, "Did Zeke talk himself into this again? Or was this a stroke of luck"

"Why are they holding onto me?"