Chapter 73: Criminals

Rosanna stood pondering, leaning up against a tree. The feeling of regret she had had, now had grown into a disgusting sense of disgust and guilt. She shook with it, shaking in her boots from head to toe with anger and guilt. She rubbed her forehead, trying to rub away the sharp pain in her head. She leaned the back of her head against the tree. Ever since they had made it to the wall of Shinganshina, a stinging headache had bothered Rosanna's head and neck. She watched the soldiers as they hashed out plans, they were going to attack the Zeke faction of the Yeagerists within the HQ of Shinganshina. Rosanna sighed and walked into the grove of trees, plopping down under a tree and looking at the sun between the leaves. In the distance she heard the murmuring of soldiers, Zeke stood with them, talking over his plans.

Rosanna jumped up when there was the distant roar of airships. Rosanna got up and walked out of the grove of trees, looking up to the blue sky and seeing the airships pass over. Casting a shadow over Rosanna as she stood there, mouth agape, seeing them move to the city. She shivered when the warm sun was blocked from her skin by the large machine. She was shaken out of her daydream by a tight grip on her wrist.

"Miss Bauer! We need to move!" The soldier cried out.

Rosanna's eyes grew to the size of dinner plates, they were going to go into an area that was probably about to be bombed.

"It is fine, she will stay with me..." Zeke called over his shoulder. Rosanna frowned questionably at him, her mouth pulling into a thin line.

The soldier let go of her and shrugged.

Zeke told the soldiers to take their distance, and he bit into his hand.

Rosanna shielded her face from the blast as the beast titan took on its form.

She had grown unfamiliar with the heat of the blast and the brightness of the flash. She waited for Zeke to settle in his form before he gestured to her to climb on.

Rosanna walked over to him, grabbing hold of the thick fur on his arm. She climbed up, pushing herself up from the crook of his elbow and unto his shoulder, clutching onto his head.

Two soldiers looked in awe at Zeke and Rosanna, it felt nostalgic, being on his shoulder and looking over the world from his perspective.

Zeke hummed, hardening his claws before climbing up the wall. Rosanna watched as the soldiers on the ground became smaller and smaller until they were mere ants in her eyes.

"Rosanna... before this is all over." Zeke's titan grumbled. She looked over at him, looking into his large yellow eyes.

"I want to say, I am sorry for the pain I have caused you."

Rosanna opened her mouth to scold him before frowning and shutting her mouth, she tightened her grip on his fur.

"What for? You never seemed sorry... you only wanted your revenge.... Your people to die with you."

"I understand that you find my goals un noble and sick, Rosanna. Your idea has always been kinder, full of hope and pride."

Rosanna looked down.

"Your humane ways of acting will not be forgotten."

Rosanna looked over at him, leaning into the large skull of the beast.

"Is that why you wanted me to die? To have a martyr for the world after this? A proof of goodness being here before we are wiped out by a slow death?"

"Legends need to live. And I find you will go down in history well... be it at a heroic death on the battlefield or being shot by a firing squad for your crimes. Because... let me speak plainly. We both are criminals... Rosanna. We are both covered in the same blood."

Rosanna felt a pang of shame and guilt go through her; tears welled up in her eyes. She felt as if a red sign was above her head, "murderer" read the sign.

"We are... I guess." Rosanna replied, looking away, feeling warm tears stream down her cheeks.

There was silence.

"But I won't go down in history as a hero... or as your martyr."

Zeke put her down on the wall, looking down at her.

"I want to be a pathetic old woman... who is bitter and angry, exhausted by the hundreds of people who cry for the loss of their families and the inability to have one of their own. And I will keep your skull as a mantlepiece, and every time someone visits me, I will point to you and say "It's the skull of a coward man who never learned to see light and love. He killed his own people and betrayed his own heart..."

Rosanna's eyes were beet red.

"I will never be a martyr, you fucking coward. You go ahead and ruin your life!" Rosanna spun on her heel and walked away from him walking along the wall of Shinganshina. Towards wall Maria. Zeke watched her until she was a mere pip on the horizon.

"I was right..." Zeke growled, crushing up stones from the wall in his hands. "I should've just killed her myself. He paused and aimed for an airship that was heading over the wall, he rolled himself back, putting all his weight into the throw. The stones went flying, piercing the airships through like they were paper. He crushed up a second round of rocks, his eye sliding off to Rosanna in the distance. He looked back to another airship, it headed straight toward him. He pulled his weight back again, making sure his throw would be like a fan. it would sweep out the airship and knock Rosanna off the wall to her death. He stood ready to throw until he started to doubt...

He sighed.

"Damned lucky girl." He mumbled.

"Be glad we were friends for twenty years." He grunted before readying his toss to the airship. As he started to throw, he felt an immense impact on his shoulder, tearing his torso from his legs. He collapsed on the wall. Looking over to his left. Pieck had taken him out.

Another blast shifted him into a tumble, and he fell from the wall.

Rosanna watched as all of this took place, and she sighed.

"It was about time... you criminal..." Rosanna chuckled.