Chapter 78: The magician

"ROSANNA, HUSH!" Magath said, grabbing the half-awake woman by her shoulders and gently shaking her.

Rosanna had found herself sitting up again, screaming until her voice was hoarse. A feeling of dread swirling through her stomach, her throat was dry and she had scratched her hands until they bled. Her mouth snapped shut, tears running down her face. She could feel the vibrations in the earth, they had lessened. The titans were leaving the island, on their way to their final death march. The air was thick and humid. Rosanna shook her head, sighing and swiping a stray strand of hair from her face. She felt exhausted.

"I am sorry sir, I had another bad dream..." She admitted. Magath frowned and got a cup of water for her. Holding it up to her face, she took it and took a big swig. Feeling herself cool off with the cold drops of water dripping down her chin.

"Have you even slept?" Magath asked her.

"Barely." She said, rubbing the back of her neck. Magath nodded.

"Where's Pieck?" Rosanna asked.

"On the look out. There were some Yeagerists passing by, probably to alarm the rest."

"Of course they will." Rosanna groaned, shaking her head.

The two sat in silence for a bit.

Magath took a cup of water, looking into the distance to see Pieck appearing like a blip on the horizon.

"So... how did you get to the island before us?" Magath asked, his eyebrow raised in curiosity while his eyes looked at Rosanna with concern.

"I got kidnapped by Zeke's lackey's, and prosecuted as a war criminal. Which... is not illogical... I am in every aspect a danger to the people on the island."

"Are you?" he asked. Feeling a heavy feeling in his gut. Rosanna had been a mere child when she was recruited in the war against paradise. This punk with brains that matched the scientists she worked with. She had been pushed into a conflict, unaware that over twelve years later she would be face to face with a firing squad.

Magath shook his head.

"It's not your fault...please, just... don't blame yourself." He said, standing up to greet Pieck who was trotting into their camp.

'There are Yeagerist's heading this way, I don't know why, but we better take cover.'

Magath nodded, pulling Rosanna onto her feet and letting her lean onto his shoulder as they took refuge in the groove of trees they had sought out for cover.

Pieck burst from her form as soon as they reached a shadow spot, there was some debris lying about, wood and bandages were scattered across the forest floor.

Rosanna plopped down underneath a tree, leaning back and resting her head on her folded hands she had put behind her head. She looked up at the gazebo of leaves above her head. They were dark green, and rustled softly in the warm wind that blew across the island.

"You had another dream?" Magath asked, sitting down as well.

"Yes, Can't remember a lot of it though... just that same awful sinking sensation..." She explained, hanging her head in exhaustion

"Worst thing is I barely get any deep sleep, despite having these fever dreams..." She said, picking up a scourged, dry leaf and crunching it up in her hand.

"Can you describe what happens in these dreams?" Magath asked.

"Same thing as Zeke and I used to do... just fights to get the upper hand... game of wits... arguments."