Chapter 14: Modern verse

"I hope there are some good snacks." Saskia says, fixing the ankle strap of her high heel. Rosanna and Saskia had gathered their clique of friends and had dressed to the nines for the party. Saskia sported a little black dress with a deep V-neckline and fancy black stockings. In her small black-gold handbag, she carried lacy gloves and her make-up for touch ups.

Rosanna was in a more casual style, she wore dress pants with steady black wedges and an off the shoulder black top with a frilled hem.

"They better have an open bar..." Rosanna sighed, "I could go for a good wine." The girls watched as they took the intersection from the highway into the next neighbouring town. They all became silent when they saw the incredible houses. White villa's with large front yards and patches of beautiful flowers and special garden lights. "What the hell, Zeke?"Rosanna mumbled to herself. "Wha?" Saskia responded. "You remember how I told you that Zeke invited us?" Saskia grinned ear to ear, "There is no way he could afford something like this." She giggled. Rosanna fixed her earring, her gaze fixing on a man and woman walking their dogs. She could see the contours of their faces in the pale- orange light of the garden lanterns. Rosanna sighed, realizing she missed an pet in her life.

The car took a sharp turn into the next street, Saskia leaned out the window. "Red carpet and all!" she said smiling and pointing at the long drive way that lead into a narrow path into the garden of the villa. The car smoothly pulled into the drive way, parking itself and letting the girls out. Two of the girls ran off to a group of people they knew, they were chattering excitedly and quickly walking across the garden path. Rosanna looked into the large garden, in the distance she could see a small paddock with some horses in them. They whinnied and trotted around their enclosed area. "Filthy rich folks." She remarked, raising an eyebrow at Rosanna. "Hey, you took us with you." Saskia says, fixing her lip-gloss while walking. "So, you are the cause to the coming effect." Rosanna frowned, "Please don't tell me you're going to pool dive from the second story again..." she sighed. Saskia winked at her friend, "You can't stop me..." Saskia jogged over to their other friends, her high heels click-clacking against the pavement.

5 minutes later the group arrived at the large Victorian villa. It was a three-story house, on each floor there was a different type of party going on. The first floor had a sophisticated soirée going on, the second floor was set up as a comfortable pub where people were playing cards and darts and enjoying casual conversations. On the third floor there was a full-blown rave, with flashing lights and loud electro music.

The girls handed in their coats and bags at the reception and split up. Rosanna got stopped by a host and offered a drink. She took a glass of pink bubbles and started walking around, Saskia and the other kids had already run off to the third floor. "I should find Zeke." She thought to herself while sipping her champagne. She spun around when she felt a tap on her shoulder, "Rosanna Bauer?" A voice asked. Rosanna looked at a familiar brown-haired man with dark brown, dog eyes. "Oscar?" the man grinned widely, "One and only." He chuckled. The two hugged tightly. "You're so tan, holy hell." Oscar scratched his brown curls, "Long hot days as an army man." He flexed, making Rosanna huff and giggle. "But... those days are kinda over now..." Rosanna's eyes widened, "You quit?" She asked, her face taking on a look of disbelief. Oscar had been an army dreamer ever since they were eleven. When he finished high school, he had gone off to basic, while Rosanna had gone off into medical school. "Let's take a walk. We should catch up."

Rosanna and Oscar slowly walk up and down the reception hall. Here and there taking a nibble from the snacks on the table. "So that is your hair salon?" Oscar concluded after Rosanna told him where she had gone after med school. "Yeah, I took over after the last owner got too old to run the store. She does help me pay for it though." Rosanna explained while taking a bite of small sandwich. Her face twisted into a face of disgust, "Damn, who puts olives on a sandwich?" she quickly washed the food down with her drink and disposed the sandwich in a trashcan. "There would be cake later this evening. Someone's birthday I heard." Rosanna grabbed a small fruit cocktail. "You know who?" Oscar frowned, bend his head and frowned. Rosanna smiled, he looked cute whenever he thought so deeply. "One of the important guy's wives. They live in this part of town." Rosanna nodded and grabbed a glass of fruit punch from a large glass bowl. "We better get a slice..." she said, sipping her punch. "Yeah... so how are you..." Oscar got cut off by someone's calling Rosanna's name. "Rosanna! You showed!" Zeke said, he sauntered up to them and shook Oscar's hand, "Good to see you, Oscar." Rosanna sighed, "Hi, Zeke." She huffed. Zeke looked around, "Where are your girls?" Rosanna sipped her punch and pointed her index finger up. "Third party department?" Rosanna nodded. Zeke smiled and nodded, he turned to Oscar. "Would you mind if I borrowed her for a while?" Rosanna frowned, "Zeke, that sounds gross." She remarked. Zeke shot her a deadpan look and then looked back at Oscar. "I'll see you later." He friendly smacked Oscar on the shoulder. Oscar smiled at Zeke, his eyes keeping a stern look. He patted Rosanna's shoulder before he walked away. Zeke turned to Rosanna, "Well, how do you like the party?" Rosanna shrugged, "It's quite an event you pulled off." She emptied her punch and followed Zeke for a round around the tables.

"How do you know Oscar actually?" Rosanna asked Zeke as they walked around the garden, "We work together." He answered, sipping his wine. Rosanna looked back at him as she was climbing a hill to a set of apple trees. "I've never seen him at the library before." She touched the smooth bark of the tree and looked at the apples. Zeke rolled his eyes, "I got other stuff to do than just running that shop." Rosanna grinned, "Oh?" she plucked two ripe apples and tossed one over to Zeke. "Tell me..." she walked down the hill taking a bite from the apple. Zeke securely caught the apple in his hand and looked at it, then he looked back at Rosanna's grinning face. "You're terrible." Rosanna laughed, "Am I now?" Zeke squinted his eyes at her, "You really didn't change did you, Bauer?" Rosanna scratched her head, "No, I didn't." she cast her eyes down and smiled, "So, what is this job you and Oscar share?" Zeke bit into the apple, "You worried about your boyfriend's well-being?" Rosanna blushed tomato-red. "Excuse you?" she said, her voice rising in tone. "Come on. You were really overly fond to see him back in town." Rosanna could've exploded right in front of Zeke, she opened her mouth as to say something but she could only out a pathetic squeak. "You don't have to embarrassed, everyone has noticed." He took another bite of the apple, noticed a big brown spot on the apple and threw it away. "Besides, wouldn't you want to be closer to him." He raised his eyebrows. "We got a job opening." Rosanna took a step away from Zeke, she felt how his demeanour changed in just a few seconds. The blonde man ruffled around in his pockets, pulling out a pack of cigarettes offering them to her. Rosanna suspiciously stared at the pack, then leered at Zeke before taking a cigarette. Zeke stepped closer to Rosanna, grabbing a lighter from his breast pocket and lighting the cigarette. "Listen closely, my dear." He looked at her. "Care to help the state for a bit?"