Chapter 19: Artificial Reincarnation

"Artificial Reincarnation"

Oscar walked through the now empty hallways of the abandoned factory. He was checking if everyone was in their places for the next phase of the ceremony. He froze mid step when he heard soft sniffling, he looked around, "Who could be crying at this hour?" he thought to himself, he quickly walked into one of the halls, looking into every room. He recognized the sobs as he got closer, "Rosanna?" he called out, running towards the sound now. He almost slipped over the floor, losing his balance, he could catch himself onto a doorway just in time. "Rosie?" he asked as she looked into the now dark room. No response, he could make out the contours of the girl's head and legs. She was completely balled up in a corner, her hands clutching her scrunched up headscarf. Oscar took out a lighter from his back pocket, he felt around in the dark looking for a candle or a Gaslamp he could light. He grasped something what felt like a stick of way, it was small and had a short wick. It would only be good for a few minutes or less. He lit it, walked over to Rosanna and put it down at her feet. He sat down beside her and gently took her crumpled headscarf from her fists; her knuckles were white from the pressure. He quickly scoured his pockets for a clean handkerchief while he patted her shoulders. Her eyes were red and swollen from the tears, but her sobs had calmed and she seemed able to breathe more easily. She gently took the handkerchief and wiped her cheeks and eyes; she took a deep breath and covered her forehead with her hand. She felt a headache start to throb. "We need you..." Oscar started, he nudged towards the hallway. "Tell them I passed out." He laughed, "That won't be beneficial."

Rosanna groaned, sobbing softly. Oscar grabbed her wrists and attempted to pull her unto her feed, Rosanna didn't put her feet on the ground and slid on her knees across the stone floor. "Ow..." she groaned. "You're being a baby." Oscar said strictly, "I am on death row..." Rosana replied, again Oscar side and he pulled her up, swooping her over his shoulder and leaving the room. "We need you to be there and take care of Zeke, you are our doctor, remember?" Rosanna chuckled, "Wrong person, I don't have a licence." Oscar sighed deeply before dropping Rosanna. "You really have a Deathwish, don't you?!" he snapped, Rosanna jumped visibly. ''If you don't cooperate, you, your family and all other Eldians working on this project. Even Zeke and Xaver will be eradicated because your stubborn ass didn't want to cooperate." Rosanna looked at the young man in disbelief, before her expression dropped and her eyes flickered with a deep rage. "Fine, then." She mumbled through her teeth. She slowly got up, patted down her clothes before starting to walk past Oscar. As she passed him, grabbed his colour and pulled him into her. "Never forget that they want us dead anyway... that means even you, you sheep." She pushed him away and speed walked down the hallway, closely followed by Oscar.

A female officer stood in front of the door to the underground passage, she anxiously shuffled back and forth. They needed the secondary successor, or else the ceremony would be abolished. She visible exhaled when she saw Rosanna around the corner, Oscar close behind. "Ah, finally." She said opening the door and coaxing the two youngsters in. Rosanna froze for a second as she stood at the beginning of the hallway, the way down into the cavern was long and dark. At the end she heard faint voices and footsteps, she told herself she was safe and continued down, the female officer closed the line, slamming the door shut. Rosanna held her hands tightly clutched together, every now and then she looked up at Oscar. Oscar looked back at her with a frowned brow, "What?!" he hissed, Rosanna glared at him. "I am sorry for calling you a sheep." He huffed, "Sure." Rosanna shrugged, "Fine..." he murmured, gently pushing Rosanna aside to get to the next door at the end of the dark hallway. "We need to hurry..." he ordered and walked through the door. Rosanna squeezed her eyes shut as she had to get used to the light in the high ceiling hall. The officers in the hall immediately all rose up from their slumped positions, they looked hopefully at Rosanna, some nodded at her and smiled.

The girl gave all of them a curt nod before continuing her way down the hallway, through the door. And onto large stone balcony, that looked out over a dark arena like area. There in the arena, there was a heightened platform. In chains, Xaver sat on the platform. Rosanna kept her gaze to the floor, denying herself the chance to get frightened of the site before her. Magath glared down at the girl as she walked over. "Ah, Bauer. You made it..." Rosanna nodded, weakly bringing the Marleyan salute. "Please, look over this Arena, Bauer." Rosanna picked up her head, hesitantly gazing over the arena. By now a door had been opened, and a few men in chains were brought. "Zeke, will be in shortly, he specifically asked for your presence." Rosanna sighed, "He is sick to be so." She murmured. Magath pretended to not hear the girl's sneer. Rosanna pointed at the chained men, now being chained up in the corner. Many of them were begging and crying. "Who are they?" she asked. "Deserters, criminals." Magath stated, "Zeke's first, "Task"" Rosanna stared at the men, praying their demise would be quick and painless. The door opened again, and in came Zeke with his escort. "Pay mind. We are beginning." Magath said. Rosanna felt heat rise to her cheeks, her palms were sweating and she felt herself get lightheaded. She jumped when she felt a firm pinch in her arm, "Don't faint." She heard Oscar hiss. Rosanna clutched onto the railing that was set up on the balcony. Zeke kneeled onto the floor of the arena, bowed his head. The ceremony master, readied the injection and stepped forward. Rosanna was blinded by a loud flash and deafened by an explosion. Her ears were ringing. In the blast, the prisoners were blown into pieces, their rests scattered around the arena. From the smoke appeared a horrendous beast, a malformed titan. Legs too long and slim to hold themselves, arms like rubber that could barely be lift anything. Rosanna stared in awe, her look a mixture of anguish, fear and trauma. In that moment she felt like she was alone, in a dark room. The only light she could see was a lonely candle on a broken stool. She heard the noises of men fighting outside, a shadow hanging from a ceiling. She snapped back into reality when she felt another hard pinch. "Ow..." she exclaimed. The whole balcony had gone quiet, the officers stared at the big cloud of smoke that now filled the arena. "What are we all waiting for?" Rosanna snapped, "The smoke must set before we can go in." Rosanna frowned at the talking officer, "We can't, what if Jaeger is hurt?" The officer tsk-ed at her. "Silly girl, he has healing powers." Rosanna shook her head, "I don't care!" she protested. She took off her uncle's jacket and ran back and forth on the balcony, finding a heavy door that led down into a dark staircase. At the bottom of the stairs she was greeted by the severed head of one of the criminals. "Excuse me." She said as she leaped over it. She used her headscarf as a mouth cover to protect her lungs from the hot smoke. All around her was sizzling and in the distant the soft wailing of a man that was dying. She made her way through the thick smoke until she came upon Zeke.

"Jaeger?" she started carefully, he was crouched over, looking for something. She stepped closer. "Zeke?" he was standing up straight now. She slowly neared him, holding up the coat so she could cover his shoulders. He slightly flinched when he felt the rough fabric on his bare skin. They stood like this for a moment, Rosanna looked at his face, waiting for a reaction. Eventually, he turned to her, smiling. A face she had rarely seen, his framed eyes looked different. More guarded and cunning. "It is good to see you, Rosie..." he murmured. Rosanna nodded, "We'll wait for the others." she said, "I am sorry you did not get this titan..." Zeke continued. Rosanna's head snapped up; the most unapologetic man she knew just bid her his excuse? She stared at him in disbelief, not noticing the other officers coming down the stairs and forming a circle around them. "Congratulations to our new successor!" Magath called out, he applauded. Soon his fellow officers tuned in, the arena echoed with the applause. Zeke gently squeezed Rosanna's shoulder, walking away from her to greet the officers.