The... master?

I enter the admissions office alone. Levy waits for me outside the door, guarding my bags. I step into the large office to find it decorated with the school's insignia all over the walls. The headmaster must really love this school. At the far end of the office sits a large desk and a chair, with its back to me. I hear the soft, muffled sounds of music, and similarly muffled humming.

"Uhh..." I gently rap on the wall with my knuckles, trying to get the headmaster's attention. "Excuse me?"

"... you know exactly who you could be..." the humming grows louder as I move closer to the desk.

"Sir?"

"SO JUST HOLD ON, WE'RE GOING HOME!" The chair turns around to reveal the very short- but very animated- headmaster. He opens one eye and sees me standing there. The headmaster just stares at me for a second, then composes himself. He takes a seat. Yeah, the headmaster of Fairy Tail High is so short that even standing on his own chair, I couldn't see the top of his horned hat.

"Excuse me, are you the headmaster?" I squeak.

"Yes, hello. My name is Makarov Dreyar, but you may call me Headmaster Makarov. Seems most of the students just shorten it to Master, but whatever suits you best. You must be Lucy... what's this?" The master narrows his eyes and looks closer at the paper. I cringe, waiting for the reaction I always get when people find out my last name. "Heartfilia? Lucy Heartfilia?" The Master looks up at me, and I bow my head.

"Please don't tell anyone else. I don't like having my namesake interfere with any friendships I may create here. I don't like having people breathing down my back." I can hear my voice tighten at the last part, but the Master ignores it, for my sake. Or maybe he didn't notice.

"Yes, of course Miss Heart- I mean, Lucy. I shall keep your secret."

"Thank you," I sigh.

"Of course, the faculty will know. I will just have to warn them beforehand. Now, you were here to officially become administered, of course. Here," the Master slides some paperwork and a key over to me. "We are a very individual school, different by even boarding school standards. You will be living in the girls' dorms of course, which are on the left side of the campus. The main building is in the center, and the sports fields are mainly to the right. There is a map in the pile, I believe... anyways. You have about seven classes a day, depending on your schedule, which is right here. There is a cafeteria in the main building, but you could also go off campus for lunch if you wish. There is a parking lot near the entrance for students with cars..." I hold my breath, but the Master does not make the comment most of my previous instructors had: I'm sure you have a real nice car, the newest model, right? Or something along the lines of that. This Master made no comment like that.

"Thank you, Headmaster. I'm sure Levy can fill me in with the rest."

"That's right, Miss McGarden contacted you for our Business in the World project last year. She's a very good student, top of her class last year. Probably one of the best girls to ask to show you around. So I take it Miss McGarden knows of your name, then?"

"Yes, but she'll keep my secret. Thank you, Headmaster."

"Know that you can come to me for anything, Lucy. I consider all of my students my children. We are a small school, but Fairy Tail is well funded by the city and its alumni. I hope you find a home here." The Master's eyes seem to tear up at that, and I can't help but give him a hug. He looks surprised at first, but hugs me back, patting my shoulder.

"Thank you," I whisper into his hat.

__________________________________________________________

When I leave the admissions office, Levy is saying goodbye to a couple of kids running down the hallway. She turns to me when she hears the door close.

"There you are! That took ages. Now come on, let's drop your stuff off at the girls' dorm, and we'll grab some lunch off campus." Again, Levy grabs my hand, but this time she thoughtfully takes one of my bags, too. I really love Levy, if not just because she's making me feel so at home here.

We walk from the main building over to the girls' dorms, which face the identical boys' dorms.

"Why'd they put the girls' and boys' dorms so close?" I wonder out loud.

"Because they know no one is going to do anything too suspicious. The Master has eyes everywhere." Levy widens her eyes and drags out that last part, making me laugh. "I'm serious though. He seems to know things even before Mirajane does, and she knows everything."

"Who's Mirajane again?" I ask.

"Don't worry, you'll see her soon enough. Anyways, we're here. Your ID card is also your key into the dorms. There's a separate key for your actual room, which you have..."

"Right here," I fumble around with my things before presenting Levy with a key.

"Ok, room 205. I knew you wouldn't be my roommate, but it's still disappointing to see the number. I'm in room 210, just down the hall. Each floor has one washroom, with four showers, four toilets, six sinks, and a wide mirror. Your roommate is... Cana Alberona. She's a cool girl, friendly once you get to know her."

"Still, I wish I could room with you!" I smile at Levy, anxious to meet my roommate.

"Haha, me too, but I share a room with Lisanna. She's also very nice and upbeat."

"Lisanna... Lisanna Strauss. You told me about her in your letters. She's a year younger than us, but in our grade, right?"

"Yep."

"And she has a sister?"

"That would be Mirajane. Lisanna also has a twin brother, who's just seconds older than her, and also in our grade. His name is Elfman."

"Wow, it sounds like I have a lot of people to meet!" I juggle the Strauss siblings around in my head.

"You don't know the half of it. Just set your bags down near your bed, and we'll meet up with them for lunch. I think they're over at Love and Lucky. It's a popular bar-slash-diner around here."

"I know of the place..." I sigh. I put my suitcases down by the empty bed and take a glance at Cana's side of the room. Her bed is messy, with purple sheets and lots of pillows. Her walls are covered with brilliant photos of her and friends at bars, parties, clubs, and events. "Wow, Cana seems very... social. What did you say about having to get to know her?" Levy laughs.

"Yeah, but get her near alcohol and she loosens up like nobody's business. She's really fun to be around, trust me." Levy gets a twinkle in her eye, and I can't help but laugh. I grab a purse and my key, and close the door behind me.