In the front yard

It's a Sunday afternoon, and the weather is really nice. A lot of kids are outside the dorms. I spot Levy sitting under a tree with her bag, and join her.

"Yeah, yeah, but it's still going to take place in the ballroom, right?" Levy's on the phone when I walk up to her. She looks at me, and puts her finger to her lips. I nod. "I know. Ok, I'll take care of it. But you know I'm busy so..." Levy looks over at me. "Hey, do you think Lu- chan could help? She's not part of the council, but she could still... yeah, ok. Thanks, Erza. Bye."

"Was that about the dance coming up? When is it again?" Levy puts her phone away and looks at me.

"It's in less than a week, next Saturday in the ballroom, on the athletics side of campus. Have you been there yet?" I shake my head. "Right well, it's where assemblies are held, too. And special events. Speaking of, would you mind helping Erza and me with the dance? I just need you to go and shop for some things with her. I've got the list right... here." Levy pulls out one of her many organized folders, and hands me a long list.

"Sure, Levy- chan. Right now?"

"Yeah, in about half an hour Erza is free, and you guys can do the shopping together. She'll know where to find everything." Levy busies herself looking through some other folders, and I look around. Some kids are starting to mill about. No one's sitting at the S- class table, I can't help but notice. Suddenly, someone catches my eye.

"Natsu...!" I whisper to myself. He's exiting the boys' dorm building. His hands are in his pockets, and he's kind of slumped over. I give an enthusiastic wave and smile, but he barely glances in my direction. Rude, I think. I know for sure he saw me.

"Lu- chan?" Levy waves a hand in front of my face. "I gave Erza your phone number so she can contact you. I have to go for now, but tell me how everything goes."

"Ok!" I respond, trying to clear my head. She stands up to leave, but turns around before she goes.

"One last thing," she begins slowly. "What was that, the other day? You and Natsu were acting really... strange. Is there something you want to tell me?"

"N- no. Nothing like that. I'm fine, I promise. You don't need to worry about me, Levy- chan."

"I'm not," she says with a smile. "But if you think I should be, tell me." With that, she's gone. I sit back against the tree, and try to figure out Natsu's deal. Why is he always like that?

"Why is he avoiding me?" I sigh to myself. "Well, you can't win 'em all, I guess."