Shopping Carts and Part-timers

I nervously pull at the hem of my shirt, wiping my hands on my jean skirt and shuffling my feet. There's nothing to be afraid of, I try to reassure myself. It's not like I'm going to go battle some monster. She's just a girl. Looking up, I spot her. Erza Scarlet.

"Lucy!" She waves a hand, and I swallow. Something about her demands respect, and I fear for those who don't give it to her. I quicken my pace to meet up with her.

"Hello Erza." I bow my head shyly.

"I'm so glad you're here. We need a lot of supplies. Let's go." Erza drives us over to a giant store called Party City

"Wow," I breathe at the sheer enormity of the store.

"Do you have the list?" Erza throws over her shoulder at me. Already I have to jog to catch up with her. She pulls out two giant shopping carts and passes one to me.

"Uh yeah, it's right here in my bag..." I rummage around to find it. When I do find it, I flatten it and show it to Erza.

"Great." She produces her own identical list. "I'll deal with the top half, and you'll do the bottom. We'll meet at the checkout, then we can get the food. Sound good?"

"Good plan," I say, already looking over the things I need to get.

"Ok!" She races off down one aisle. I take a long look at my list before going anywhere.

Confetti

Glitter

Streamers

Table Cloth (white)

Balloons

Large and Small Ribbon (blue)

Printer Paper

Markers

Index Cards

(Colored) Pencils

"And this is only half the list!" I sigh out loud. Well, might as well get started, I think, staying positive.

__________________________________________________________

After walking up and down endless aisles and getting lost only about four times, I'm able to cross off most of the list.

"Ahh, only the office supply left." I look down at my basket, and can't help but laugh. It looks like I'm putting together a crazy elementary school project!

"Do you need any help, miss?" I hear a voice behind me. I turn around to find myself face to face with...

"Laxus!" I almost shout with surprise. A few people in the aisle turn their heads.

"Shh! Keep it quiet, will you? Not everyone in this building needs to hear you! And especially not other students."

"So why'd you offer me help then?" I ask, after removing my hand from my mouth.

"I guess I didn't immediately recognize you. I've only seen you in school maybe once."

"So you work here?" I ask. Laxus's face doesn't change. He really is a stoic person. 

"Part- time."

"How long have you worked here?" I look Laxus up and down, in the beige and white worker's uniform. The store logo is printed in bright letters across his shirt, and his name-tag is pinned on crooked. A splatter of white paint covers the top of his pants, and his normally spiky blonde hair is crammed under a black cap.

"Since the beginning of last year. I've been trying to save up money. This job isn't ideal... but it's doing the trick."

"Oh. Money for what? Are you doing anything special?"

"Well actually, I've been meaning to surprise Mirajane with a..." Laxus gets a dreamy face, which doesn't seem to happen pretty often. He's usually so stoic. But in the same moment, he shakes his head. "Wait, why am I telling you all this? Am I boring you?"

"No, it's alright." I put my hands up.

"I guess you're just easy to talk to." Laxus sighs, and puts his hands in his pockets and shuffles his feet.

"If it's not being intrusive, what are you planning for Mira? If you want, I could help you..."

"Really?!" Laxus shouts. This time, even more people look over at us, and Laxus coughs. "You'd do that for me?" He half whispers.

"Of course."

"I've really wanted to take Mira out for dinner at this really nice restaurant called Pegasus Azure, but it's really expensive, and you need reservations almost a year in advance. If I tried to get one last year, they would have laughed me off for being too young."

"I could help you get that reservation," I offer slowly. I know the restaurant, very well in fact. My father bought it a couple years ago from this nice man named Bob, who still runs the restaurant. (A/N: Pegasus Azure? Get it? :p)

"You could? That would be a life saver, Lucy!" Laxus's face lights up, but something catches my attention.

"I- I didn't think you knew my name." I blush, looking down. 

"Oh, everyone knows your name," he says casually. I look up. This probably has to do with what Gray said a while ago, I think. But that's something for another day. 

"Is that it?" 

"Oh, no. I thought that if there were the chance I could get extra money, I could get rose petals, or just flowers. Maybe I could pay the live musician to play her favorite song, or..." Laxus trails off, brimming with ideas, when I start to lightly laugh. "What?" He exclaims, becoming defensive.

"Nothing! I just wouldn't have guessed you were so romantic." I smile, and Laxus breathes relief.

"Oh, ok. Good. I thought you were laughing at me, and decided you weren't going to help me."

"Of course I'll still help you. You just worry about doing your job." 

"Speaking of... Are you all done here? It looks like a third grade party threw up on your shopping cart." He starts to laugh, and I stick my tongue out.

"It's for the school dance." 

"Right. Pretty sure Mira's on the committee for that. Tell her I said hi when you see her." Laxus walks away, and I stare at the back of his black cap in awe. Appearances aren't everything, my subconscious scolds me. You of all people know that.

"Yeah..." I quietly agree. Suddenly, my phone rings.

*

*

*

I was able to put some Miraxus in here! Who knew Laxus was so romantic?