Reconnaissance

I run down the stairs as fast as I can. He's not behind me, he isn't chasing me or anything, but I still feel trapped. I close my eyes opening the doors to the stairwell and open them to the sound of kissing. Wait... Kissing?!

The bright blue hair of my best friend is messily tangled in the studded fingers of the school's motorcycle metal head as they passionately make out in the hallway right outside the gymnasium. Internally cheering for Levy and Gajeel, I turn to walk down the hallway.

"Excuse me," a rough voice says right in my ear, as I walk into a shadowed figure. The man has a hat on, covering his forehead, and a cloth covering his mouth. Some kind of cape covers his back, like a dark superhero. His hands are on my shoulders, to keep the both of us from falling. I try to squirm my way out of his grasp, but he won't let go. He jus keeps his eyes on mine in a furious and intense staring game.

"Who are you?" I try to keep the shock out of my voice.

"Stay down. Keep quiet." The stranger's voice echoes inside my head, even after he lets go and walks away. That was weird, I think. I wrap my arms around myself, and take a walk around the hallways before going back into the gymnasium. Cana is sitting at the table where we all were, watching our stuff. The music is a little quieter, and we can hear each other better.

"There you are! Where did you and Levy run away to?" She crosses her arms, but can't wipe the content look off her face. I wonder what she's been up to.

"I was kidnapped. And Levy's still out there. But if you interrupt them, I will kill you," I smile sweetly at Cana.

She nods with wide eyes, then winks, "them?"

I laugh. "What time is it, do you think?"

Cana looks at her phone. "About 11:00. Why, you planning something at midnight?"

"Very funny, but no. I'm just feeling a little worn out." I take a seat next to Cana and pull one of my heels off.

"That's what a good party'll do to you. Come on, we can go back to the dorms if you want," she puts a hand on my back, and I nod gratefully. 

"Thanks." We grab our stuff and head out to the door, when we bump into...

"Levy!!" Cana exclaims. "And Gajeel!!" Her voice drags out Gajeel's name, as she pieces together what they were doing outside of the gymnasium. 

"H- hi guys! Are you leaving?" Levy's voice is soft, and she looks really flushed. Gajeel just grins behind her, his arm draped over her smaller shoulders.

"Yeah. Your stuff is at the table, safe and sound." Cana grins.

"See you tomorrow, Levy-chan." I wave, and Cana and I exit. As we leave the building, I look up at the clear sky and bright moon. The constellations shine down, and it feels like they're laughing at me, but also lending me their strength. When I look up at the roof, I swear I see a shadow leaning over the roof top railing, looking out to the moon.

"Natsu..." The whisper barely escapes my lips. But before we leave the gymnasium completely, another shadow catches my eye. The movement of a dark cape against the nighttime wind.

__________________________________________________________

Levy's good luck with the weather only lasted the night of the dance, because after that night, the forecast said it's to rain every day this upcoming week. Levy, Cana, and Erza all seemed worried again about having to eat in the cafeteria, but I finally got them to explain:

"It's because of Natsu," Cana had said simply.

"You remember what happened the day before the dance. You know, before they... Um..." Levy chimed in.

"Whenever we have to eat in the cafeteria, Natsu's always the cause of a ruckus, and a lot of the time, it's not on purpose. And it's usually because of some random, obsessed girls. We don't eat in the cafeteria if we can help it, and I don't think Natsu likes it so much either. But you'll never hear him say that." Erza gave me the most information.

Monday and Tuesday were relatively calm with the crazy girls. But it was Wednesday when word got out that Natsu took me out somewhere special the night of the dance. One girl actually stood on top of a table and pointed at me, before going back to laughing and whispering with her friends.

"Lucy? Lucy!" Lisanna's voice jolts me out of my daydream where I tackle that girl from the table to the floor.

"Uh, yeah?" I shake my head, and look at Lisanna. She looks like she hasn't gotten sleep in the past decade, and she's rarely spoken to any of us since before the dance.

"Oh, nothing. I was just wondering... Did you have fun at the dance?" The way she's avoiding eye contact immediately puts me on guard. She even sounds like she's fishing for information.

"Yes, Lisanna. The dance was great."

"Wh- who'd you dance with?" She keeps avoiding my gaze.

"You know, my friends. Actually, I didn't see you much..." I trail off, but it doesn't even matter, because Lisanna looks really distracted.

"Oh... Ok. I'm glad you had fun," she trails off, looking a little disappointed. Picking up her still full tray, she throws it out and walks away.

"That was weird." I mutter to myself.

"Well, what did you expect? She was doing reconnaissance. For those girls over there," Cana walks over and points to the table where the girl stood up.

"Reconnaissance?" I say in disbelief. 

"Yeah. Those girls are really spiteful, and they're probably trying to turn Lisanna against you. This was a test."

"A test? And how do you know so much?" 

"They did the same to me. But I was smarter than them. And Natsu's my friend. I'd never throw him to the wolves like that." Cana smiles, but something she said caught my attention.

"Natsu's your friend?" I guess there was a lot more disbelief in my voice than I meant.

"Haha, yeah." Cana laughs. "We've all known each other since we were kids. The S-class, Levy and myself, and the kids you met the first day. Same schools, same neighborhood. You know," she takes a sip of her drink, hopefully non-alcoholic.

"Actually... I don't know. My dad would never let me go to a public school. It took me a lot of convincing to let him let me attend even this boarding school."

"Wow, your dad sounds really..."

"Harsh?"

"I was going to say 'hard on you.' But I guess they're similar things." Cana actually sounds very motherly and comforting, but I keep my gaze on my hands.

"I had some friends back home, you know. Old friends, even an old boyfriend. But with my luck, and the interference of my dad, I'll probably never see them again."

"Don't say that, Lucy. Keep a positive mind. I'm sure you'll see them again, and you'll have to introduce us! I want to meet your old friends!"

"Make new friends, but keep the old," I recite glumly. Cana wraps her arms around me, and I melt into her hug. "Thanks," I breathe.

"Always, Miss Heartfilia," she jokes.

*

*

*

AGAIN SORRY FOR THE SLOW UPDATES THANK YOU FOR THE SUPPORT MUCH LOVE ^-^