Getting to know Erza

Erza and I quickly find the things we need, but the checkout line turns out to be a disaster. I start to tap my foot, but Erza seems to be enjoying herself. She suddenly turns to me.

"So, Lucy. How're you enjoying Fairy Tail?" I stand there for a little bit, before I register that she spoke to me.

"Oh! Yeah, I love it here! Everyone is so nice."

"Glad to hear it." Erza's voice sounds final, but I take my chances.

"And how are you?" I ask quickly.

"Huh?" She asks, snapping her head towards me.

"I asked you how you were..." suddenly I'm not sure if I should regret my words or not... Erza just looks at me, not saying anything. "S- sorry if I was... if that was..."

"No, it's ok. Thank you, Lucy. Not many people ask me how I'm doing. I am always the strong one, the student body president, the person who is in control and has everything under her control."

"Well, you do." I laugh a little.

"I like to think I do..." Erza smiles a little sadly. I just watch her carefully. "Am I doing the right thing?" Huh?

"You mean with the dance?"

"Sure."

"Of course! I think the dance will turn out great."

She pauses before responding, "that's because Levy's handling most of it. You saw me, Lucy. I skipped out on that council meeting to have lunch." I hear her unspoken words.

I think back to that day... I think it was when I had lunch with Juvia, and then Natsu just had to be mister rude... But we're talking about Erza here. Slowly, the pieces click together. "Is that what this is about?" I ask gently. "Jellal?" She nods.

"Should I be dating a college boy now? Am I ready for this? Do I deserve someone like him? Is this a kind of relationship that will last?" Erza starts to slowly break down, but does not shed a tear. Her smile starts to fall apart, and I give her a hug. Holding her close, I say what I think could help.

"Well, do you love him?"

"Of course I do! I've known him since we were kids. He was always taking care of me, and protecting me. He always buys me cake... " Erza smiles a little. "But he's a bad boy. I mean, he's gotten into serious trouble before, and I just don't want him getting hurt. He's a troublemaker." She pulls back and looks me in the eyes.

"You're stronger than you think, Erza. Believe in yourself."

"But what if I can't? What if I can't believe in myself one hundred percent of the time?"

"That's why you have friends. So you can borrow our faith, because you should know that I will always believe in you." I smile, and Erza's face starts to lift again.

"Thank you, Lucy," she almost whispers. "Thank you for that."

"It's nice to know that, even if I'm no good at anything else, I'm good at being a friend." I joke a little.

"You're great at being a friend." Erza gives me another hug. Someone behind us coughs, and I realize with slight embarrassment that the line moved ahead of us while we stayed in place, but I'm not bothered that much. Erza needed reassurance, and I was able to be a friend for her. She's not as hard as her outer armor seems. I suppose she's a real softie inside. On our way out to meet the boys, we spot a small cafe. Taking a very short detour, we run inside, and I treat Erza to a slice of strawberry shortcake, which she appreciated. Her eyes bulged out of her head, and almost swallowed it whole. When I asked, "can I have a bite?" she looked like she was going to bite my hand off. But that doesn't matter, because I made a new, amazing friend!

__________________________________________________________

"That took forever," Natsu complains.

"Well, sorry if we couldn't fit your busy schedule." I roll my eyes.

"We were talking. Do you have a problem with that?" Erza glares at Natsu, and he shrinks, holding his hands up defensively.

"Haha, you've got to teach me that one," I nudge Erza, who winks at me.

"Anytime."

"Ok, let's go." Gray says impatiently.

"Sure. I think Levy and Mira are going to handle the food shopping... so Lucy you're off the hook until the dance. You are coming to the dance, right?" Erza looks at me.

"Of course! It sounds like fun, and now I have new friends to go with."