The Halloween Dance - Part 1

I nervously pull on the corset of the dress and fiddle with the skirt hems as I stand in front of the girls' dormitory. Erza made me promise not to touch the tiara (the most tempting thing to play with) so I'm out that option. I just hope Natsu gets here quick, he's supposed to drive us over to the ballroom where the dance is. Erza, Juvia, Mira, and Cana went ahead. I saw Lisanna for a second inside, but I never saw her leave...

"Hey Luce!" I hear a familiar voice call me out of my thoughts. "W-wow," he stutters as I walk up to the car. He gets out to open the door for me, and blushes. "You look amazing, Lucy!"

"Thanks!" I begin blushing as well. I look at the costume Wendy helped Natsu with. He's wearing a black and red suit with flames at the collar, cuffs, and bottom. He has foldable wings on from what I can tell, and a drooping tail. But the best part is the headdress. It's like a crown, but with dragon-ish ears, and it's embellished with random jewels and fire.

"Yeah, yeah. You can stop looking," Natsu jokes, covering his face. "I'm supposed to be like a dragon prince or king... Wendy helped me with it."

"You look..." Great is what I meant to say, but I ended up collapsing in a fit of laughter. Natsu pouted, which only made me laugh harder. "I-I'm sorry! Let's get in, so we can go to the dance."

"Yeah, alright." He scratches the back of his head thoughtfully, then opens my door. I thank him, and we drive off.

__________________________________________________________

The ballroom is a little smaller than I expected. Compared to the ballroom inside my- I mean my father's mansion, this is a kiddie pool. But I guess it's big compared to anywhere else in this city. The main dance floor is one floor up from the lobby, and there's a mezzanine one floor above that too, which wraps three quarters around the dance floor, except for the side the DJ is on. There are tables surrounding the dance floor so people can eat, but it looks like the majority of the kids are dancing! There are some crazy costumes, too.

"Neko Princess!" I hear a voice playfully call out.

"Monkey D. Luffy!" I reply. I embrace Cana in a hug, while our *giggle* dates look each other up and down as a greeting. (A/N: I don't actually watch One Piece, but Luffy is the first pirate I think of when I think of pirates! Should I watch it?)

"Bacchus." "Natsu." They nod to each other. Cana and I share a look at the boys' way of greeting each other, and they lead us to their table. Juvia and Gray, and Mira and Laxus are already sitting. I put my bag on a chair and greet the others. Right as I'm about to sit down, I feel someone take my arm and gently pull me away. Looking up, I see it's Natsu.

"Lucy, dance with me?" His eyes are gentle and honest, and this time he's blushing. Everything about his body language is telling me he actually wants to dance with me, there's nothing of the casual, colloquial way he asked me last time. I blush in return and allow him to drag me away and onto the dance floor. We dance slow and fast songs, until my feet start doing their own thing.

"Hey Luce, they're playing that song again," Natsu nods his head over to the DJ booth, and I listen for the lyrics.

And I don't want the world to see me...

"Oh!" I gasp. I look up at Natsu, wondering what memories of that night are brought up, but he looks unfazed. Gone is the awkwardness that was created that night. Gone is the playful smirk. Right now it's just Natsu, the real Natsu, holding me in his arms.

"Yo yo yo! Ladies and Gentlemen, just a reminder: We have a very special costume contest that will begin in half an hour!" The DJ calls from his booth. Costume contest? I didn't know there'd be one, I think.