Car rides with meaningful conversation

I rummage through my purse before finding my phone and answering it.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Lucy! I'm at the checkout. Did you get everything?" It's Erza.

"Almost. I just need the office supplies- type stuff."

"That's ok. We can stop by Staples before going back."

"Wow, this is a lot of shopping."

"Don't worry, we'll get back to campus soon. Come over to the check out."

I find Erza standing at the end of the shortest line. I roll my cart next to hers and tap her shoulder. Even in a place like this, waiting on line with a shopping cart, her posture is regal, and her face is serious. She really is an intimidating person...

"So what's the plan?" I ask.

"The boys are going to come by and drive this stuff over, once we get the office stuff, and we'll get to go back to the campus."

"Sounds good." After we check out, we roll the carts to the parking lot. Waiting near the entrance are two cars. One is Erza's black van, which she drove to get us here. The other is a smaller red sports car. The window of the van rolls down, and Gray pops his head out.

"Hey girls!"

"Hey Gray. Good timing, actually. I don't know if we could have carried all this. We still have one more stop to make before going back. You guys think you could drive us?"

"Totally, Erza. Get in. After we put this stuff away, that is." He gets out and helps us load the two cars with the supplies. When we're done, Erza slides into the passenger seat with Gray.

"Um, where should I sit?" I ask.

"You can ride with Natsu, in the other car."

"Oh," I sigh. The red door next to me suddenly pops open. I carefully enter the shorter car.

"Oh?" Natsu mimics with a smirk. "Most girls would be more than happy to ride in my car."

"Well I guess I'm not most girls." I look over my shoulder and out the window, away from Natsu.

"Hey, where are we going?"

"Staples. Then Erza and I..."

"Yeah yeah, I know the rest." Natsu cuts me off. I sigh with annoyance. "What's your deal?" He asks, never taking his eyes off the road. I don't respond. "Luce?"

"Baka," I mutter under my breath.

"Who're you calling a baka?" Somehow, Natsu heard me.

"You, ok? You're the baka." I raise my voice a little, and shift in my seat. "Are we there yet?"

"Why are you so ready to jump out the window? I don't bite."

"Yeah, right." I snort.

"Seriously. What's the deal?" His teeth grit, and I stare at his profile. His eyes are furiously locked on the road in front of him.

"You're the deal!" I raise my voice a little more.

"What!?" He says, louder, turning to look at me.

"Natsu, the light!" The street lamp turned red in that moment. Natsu's face goes pale as he reaches out for the steering wheel and stops the car. He's breathing like he was just running.

"Oh my god." He pants.

"Natsu... A-are you ok?" I feel like shouting, but I don't. "What the hell was that?"

"Nothing," he says through gritted teeth.

"Are you sure? Because that sure as hell looked like something."

"Don't worry about it." I look at his profile again. This time he's a little more than serious, and has a hint of anger across his brow.

"What if... What if I want to worry about it?" I say slowly. He sighs.

"It's just... Car crashes. I can't get into a car crash."

"Why? Did something happen?"

"I- my..." Natsu's eyes get a little wet as he struggles with his words.

"It's ok. You don't have to tell me." After a few more turns, we're at Staples. He stops the car, and I unbuckle my seat belt. A shadow comes by and taps on the window, startling me. I roll down the window slowly to reveal Erza.

"Ok good," she states. I take a quick glance at Natsu, who quickly adopted that lazy, bored look I always see him in.

Erza continues, not commenting on the atmosphere,"you and Gray are going to stay out here. Lucy and I are going inside. Ok?"

"Fine," Natsu's hollow response betrays nothing of the conversation we just had.