FOURTEEN

Chapter Songs:

Two Ghosts by Harry Styles

Sweet Creature by Harry Styles

...

ANDREA WILSON

I lean my head against the elevator walls, feeling exhausted after my six days in a row of working. I'm almost done. A few more hours.

I just finished assisting with a major trauma that had come in. It took nearly four hours to help with all the patients that had come in and get a small group of them to surgery. There was a major car accident that had happened in an intersection Seven cars ended up being totaled. Three of them had caused the crash, all of them tried running a red light. Idiots.

I spent the entire time examining patients with other nurses to send patients that were healthy home, and to help speed along the process of patients that needed to be seen by doctors.

I only helped in one of the trauma rooms. It was a twenty year old female that had been hit by one of the cars trying to speed through the intersection. She had glass impaled into her skin pretty much all over her body from the windshield and windows of her car. Her tibia and fibula in her left leg were nearly shattered and she had a minor depressed skull fracture. She was quickly brought into surgery to fix her leg and to place her skull back in line.

Despite everything that girl had been through, her vitals were strong, so I have a feeling she'll make it through. It'll be a long process, but she seems like she'll be able to do it.

Now, I need to go take a shower and change my scrubs. I have blood scattered all over me from trying to pack the wounds on her leg. I hate the feeling of blood on me.

I hear the elevator door ding, making me lift my head so no one sees me practically falling asleep. I see Dr. Collins enter the small space and I send her a small smile.

"Good evening Andrea, how are you?" She asks me kindly. She glances down at my scrubs and gives me a sympathetic look.

"I'm doing alright, how are you?" I respond softly.

"I'm good, thank you. You must be exhausted after that trauma that came in, the ER seemed to be a mess," She tries to create small talk. She's a lovely woman, but small talking about a trauma feels weird, especially when two people died on the scene.

"Just a little, it was a bit crazy, but it seems like almost everyone will push through," I decide to keep it short.

Thankfully the elevator reaches the floor of the locker room with showers and the doors open, keeping this conversation relatively short.

"I'm going to clean up and then I'll be up to your floor, is there anything you need me to do or just check up on vitals for all patients?" I ask her as I make my way out of the confined space.

"Just vitals for everyone, I'll have Oliver do the blood draws and labs that need to be done, then you can head out, thanks Andrea," she nods her head at me as the doors shut once again. She's one of my favorites.

I walk down the quiet hallway, welcoming the atmosphere since I've been surrounded by chaos for a good amount of my shift.

I make my way into the locker room and see one nurse getting ready. I've never seen him before. I give him a smile and his eyes pop out of his head at the sight of blood scattered on me. He must be brand new.

I grab an extra pair of scrubs, a towel, and some of the shower sandals we give to any patients who end up needing to stay in the hospital longer than a few days. The showers are clean don't get me wrong, but it just gives me peace of mind. I make my way back to the showers, pulling my identification cards and other random crap out of my pockets.