FORTY-NINE

Chapter Songs:

Too Close by Alex Clare

TiO by ZAYN

Hypnotize by The Notorious B.I.G.

...

HARRY STYLES

I start walking across the street toward Nate's parked SUV, just a few car lengths away from the entrance to the house that's overflowing with music. The car that brought me here speeds behind me, leaving for the night as I told him to. I'm only a few feet away from the door as the window on the driver's seat rolls down, and Nate's smirking like an idiot as I get closer to him.

"What happened to your fancy party, huh?" He asks slyly.

I respond by tossing the shirt I discarded in the car at his face, his hands quickly moving to remove the fabric from his head. I glance around the dimly lit street, a few other houses seeming to be having parties as well. I've never even been here before, part of me thought that Nate gave me a random street address to fuck with me. It's sort of nice to be in a regular residential neighborhood again, rather than the stuck up one I have to live in just for the sake of maintaining my privacy.

"Hey, no need to be cranky with me," he says as he tosses the shirt to the passenger side. "When are you going to admit that she isn't just a friend to you? There's nothing wrong with confessing it. She's a great person, and she makes you nicer," he points out, his expression clearly focusing on the last point of his.

He isn't wrong. She's the only reason I've actually learned what his name was, started acknowledging him if he walks in the room, and began thanking him whenever he's driven me places or helped me out. It may have taken her coming into my life for me to see it, but he's actually not all terrible.

That doesn't make him any less of a prick.

"She isn't just a friend to me, I'm not that stupid. She's way fucking more than that. I just haven't figured out how to tell her," I say as I attempt to anxiously fix my jacket.

I've known since I left for London exactly how I've felt about her, but I figured that since I've always been the person who jumps in and puts their all into someone who isn't willing to do the same. That or I give someone absolutely everything I have to prove my affection towards them, just to end up broken and looking like a fool.

Given my history, I knew that the moment my feelings for Andrea started to build that I wouldn't react to them in a healthy or mature way. Which I didn't...big surprise. I pushed them down and avoided them, and even though every bit of me is telling me to continue doing that, I'm tired of it.

The Christmas gifts that she gave me were just the perfect amount of hope that I needed. They were all thoughtful, not just materialistic gifts that I could return if I disliked them. She chose them based on pieces of myself that I've trusted her with.

I want to be honest with her, about everything, but I don't think it would be right for me to do considering that a major part of our relationship, friendship...whatever the fuck we are, is built on a lie. One that I'm entirely to blame for.

"Well, ditching an A-list party to come and be with her might give that away. Just maybe," he attempts to joke with a shrug, but I just send him a glare in return.

He may be telling the truth, but I don't need to hear it right now.

I'm quick to roll my eyes and toss him my house keys and wallet before I start making my way towards the correct house. I don't even bother to look back to see the smug look he's most likely wearing.