EIGHTY-THREE

Chapter Song: Want Me Back by BENEE

...

ANDREA WILSON

"Drea?" Harry mumbles.

It's been over two months since I've looked into his beautiful green eyes. For weeks I had been wishing just to be given this chance, and now it's here, but all I can see in his tear-filled eyes is fear.

He's always hated the doctor.

I shift my attention for less than a second to look at Nate, feeling the pit in my stomach sink even further when I see he's worried. He's typically calm in situations like this, but he looks helpless.

My mouth goes dry when I look back to Dr. Slater or Jo, who are both occupied, for some sort of answer.

"W-What...Does he...Slater?" I stumble over my words as they start to bring the gurney out of the ambulance, Nate exiting just behind them.

Harry's eyes follow me, and I have to stop myself from reaching forward to grab ahold of his hand or to start treating him. I don't think I can treat him. Not only is it a major conflict of interest, but my head is far from clear enough to function correctly right now.

I can't tear my eyes away from the blood, and for once in my life, the sight terrifies me. It makes my hands shake in a way they never have at work.

There's pure worry and fear running through me, and it feels like I can't move.

"Murphey," He states harshly while helping push the gurney toward the automatic doors into the emergency room.

Harry's hand attempts to reach out for me as the stretcher rolls past me, and his head turns to keep his focus on me for as long as he can.

Jo shuts the ambulance doors and stands in front of me, determined and level-headed.

"Andrea, hey," she attempts to get my attention with a gentle voice, but my eyes follow where they're taking Harry, "Look at me," Her voice is much sterner this time, forcing me to look at her.

Her expression softens when our eyes meet, and only then do I realize I have tears pooling above my waterline. It doesn't take long until she snaps back to her professional mannerisms.

"Right now, you are nothing more than a hand holder," she instructs me while ensuring my eyes never leave hers, "You're going to clean the blood off his hands, then you're going to take off your gloves, comfort him, and keep him calm."

My mouth gapes open as I'm left speechless, forcing her to repeat my name again to try and snap me back into reality, and it works enough. Not entirely, but enough.

Jo nods, hoping for me to copy the gesture, and she waits a moment to ensure we're both on the same page. It takes me a few seconds, and I blink a few times to try and refocus. Despite the uncertainty running through me and zero confidence in myself, I give her a noticeable nod to tell her I understand.

She takes the response as the go-ahead for her to rush back into the Emergency Room, leaving me alone in the ambulance bay with Nate.

I haven't seen him in months. Not since the day we picked Harry up from the airport.

My head turns to glance at him, only to find that he's already looking at me with guilt written all over his face. When I look at him now, all I can think of is how he was the one who got the file in the first place. I used to see a friend, and now all I see is someone who lied to me and helped Harry lie to me. He may have been just doing what he was told, but unfortunately, I don't think I'm ready to be mature enough to accept that.