EIGHTY-SIX

*Trigger Warning:

Graphic Violence, Abuse, and

Mentions/Description of Rape*

Please read with caution and take care of yourself, and be kind and respectful with any comments. My messages are always open.

...

Chapter Song: Trouble - Stripped by Halsey

...

ANDREA WILSON

I set the two wine glasses into my sink as I turn to check the clock above my stove to see what time it is as my laughter fades down.

"I'm telling you," Jo states with her head in her hands, "Ever since I picked pediatrics to work full time, Collins has grown a deep hatred for me, Andy. She's terrible."

I finished my work day not too long ago, and Jo is already dreading her early day tomorrow morning.

We've been talking about endless bullshit since she arrived around five p.m.; since then, we've finished about two bottles of wine collectively. She's never had trouble recovering from drinking the day before work, but I am grateful I have the day off tomorrow.

I can be hungover with Noah, but with Slater? That's a death wish.

If he does decide to come over to stay the night, he'll be here much later. His last class ends at half past nine, and he hadn't planned on coming tonight, so he'll have to go back to his dorm to pack a bag.

"Slater did the same to me," I assure her, but she only groans in response. I laugh softly, "She just wants to test your ability. Make sure that you've got what it takes, and you do."

"My ability or my will to live?" She asks sarcastically.

I turn around and lean against my countertop. Jo's head still rests in her hands while she gently rubs her eyes with her fingertips.

She's only recently chosen the department, so she's at the worst of it. Meanwhile, my hell week, or what Slater turned into a hell month, has already passed. It was incredibly difficult, as it's meant to be, but maintaining focused and motivated is difficult.

Not every department head does it to their staff, but Slater and Collins do. Solely to weed out lazy employees.

"Dylan," I say gently.

A heavy sigh escapes her, but I know that I've helped remind her why she chose pediatrics in the first place.

She looks up at me with a soft frown on her face. There's a brief silence, and I know it's just what she needs to regain her motivation to push through.

"I know," she murmurs.

I've seen her go through hell these past few days since she informed Collins she would take her promotion offer. It's nothing she can't handle, I know that, but I also know that she is exhausted. She has seen her handful of rough cases, but now that all of her cases are children and infants, I think she's started to relearn the skill of emotionally distancing yourself from patients.

Dylan is the only patient Jo, Oliver, and I have allowed ourselves to connect with on a much more personal level. Given his family situation, as much as Collins dislikes that fact, I know she tolerates it.

We're his family. He needs that. So, she allows it.

"Did you see him today?" She asks me.

I nod.